• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Torque Capacity of Six Speed and Diff

Anyone have information (official or otherwise:rolleyes: ) as to the rated torque capacity of the 5spd/6spd trans and Differential? Inquiring minds want to know:wink: Appreciate any info.:smile:

Talk with the FactorX guys..............they have broke enough of them to know :smile:

I do know they like the 5 speed better for strength and have had TitaniumDave do some custom work too.

what about the HUGE automatic transmission audience out there??
lets not leave those guys out...

factorx: how much torque can the factory auto tranny handle?

factorx: how much torque can the factory auto tranny handle?

From the Factory (Honda) lowered the HP output on all auto transmission cars 3L and 3.2L so what do you think.

From the Factory (Honda) lowered the HP output on all auto transmission cars 3L and 3.2L so what do you think.

i believe all the automatic cars were the 3.0's with 252hp & 210lb/ft... i don't think there are any 3.2 automatics...

97nsxspecifications.gif

i believe all the automatic cars were the 3.0's with 252hp & 210lb/ft... i don't think there are any 3.2 automatics...

I think your right it's ALL Automatics have a 3L motor and I hear smaller cam lobs to reduce power for all years :eek:

So I don't think Mother Honda thought they built too strong of an automatic :confused:

Relative to the Automatic NSX, we bought an excellent 96 T with Auto, planning to supercharge it - However upon checking with Honda through Comptech at that time ( approx 4 years ago), Honda didn't say no, they said HXXL NO! Said it was not a question of whether it would break, but just rather when!:eek: That is when we got the 2000 six speed and haven't looked back.:wink: Incidentially, the 96 auto now has 142,000 miles and is in for it's third transmission.:rolleyes:

This thread has been hijacked. :cool:

There are plenty of threads discussing how unwise it would be to ask the auto tranny to handle more than the 252hp/210lbft it is meant to handle. The stock auto NSX tranny is not designed to handle more power than that. You can read all about it here, here and here.

Now, back to the original question. How much power can the OEM 6-speed tranny safely handle? I'd also love to hear how much the OEM 5-speed can safely handle as well.

I was chatting to Andrew from Realtime Racing when Cunningham was running the NSX in Speed World Challenge. He claimed they had 780HP & changed their 6 speeds every race meeting + some practice, testing (approx 1000 miles) said they didn't last long with this power output. (Broke Gears & Diffs)

I bought one of these ex Race 6 speeds from Realtime. I disassembled to check it out & install a NSX-R Main shaft & was it was like new.

I've heard 550HP (Don't quote me) is about the reliable limit for the 6 speed but it depends on how it's treated. A street car probably wouldn't have a problem but a dedicated track car the 5 speed would probably be the better option.

Again I'm no expert just repeating what I've been told.

The OEM NA1 dual plate clutch is a very capible system. Even Honda bragged about it when the car was introduced.

Let me make it simple...

Danny's 1000hp 1992 :eek: :smile: NSX is still running on OEM clutch.

The OEM NA1 dual plate clutch is a very capible system. Even Honda bragged about it when the car was introduced.

Let me make it simple...

I'm assuming a modified OEM clutch correct? How has the tranny held up over time? Anything touched internally?

Let me make it simple...

you mean it's still burning clutch? :wink:
i doubt it's just straight out of the box OEM....

in any case.... the 5 speed is "stronger" than the 6.

Let me make it simple...

Dannys car DOES NOT run an OEM clutch...he is using (or at least was using) the RPS stage 2..?...

i picked this clutch on his recommondation as it was what was in his car

Dannys car DOES NOT run an OEM clutch...he is using (or at least was using) the RPS stage 2..?...

i picked this clutch on his recommondation as it was what was in his car
lol, I believe he told me that last year during the HIN Vegas!!! If not the clutch, definitely OEM gear set (Internal). I remember that because we were talking about his drivetrain vs. Gear box and short gears. I remember he told me the short gears set was not under consideration because the car revs fast enough already.

But anyway, I'll ask him again, he haven't participate on Prime lately because he's busy with his new retail business DOGGIE WASH and still:biggrin: working full time as a Doctor. Maybe his daughter will know, I'll give her a ring. :biggrin:

Nope! Just be driving around (briskly at times:tongue:) , but driving around. in fact, my daughter actually drives it most of the time. She incidentially is the Pres of our company, and her "daily driver" is a Bentley Continental GT, so she likes "brisk" also, but certainly does not flog a car! Not necessarily like her daddy, don't ya know!:biggrin:
Your asking how strong an NSX auto trans is after YOU broke 3 :confused: Sounds like your the expert.

Or did I miss something.........were you Drag racing with it?

Back