• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Torque vs High Rev, go read that thread on ferrarichat...

Wow! Just for your information guys, there is a very interesting and technical debate on Ferrarichat.com about torque, hp and high revving.

When I started to read that thread I had an impression of déjà vu because as you will discover, some F-guys are asking more power and more torque for the 360 Modena while some others are saying a Ferrari isn't a drag race car but a race car for the road and want to keep the high reving configuration of engine...

Some want a 10K rpm new V8 engine!

Obviously we do share more things than some may believe!

I almost felt that I was in a Honda site! :D

Thread title: Poll: torque vs hp for 360 replacement

Well that was a waste of a couple hours!! They have a few guys with a clue and others clearly without, but none of them is skilled in the art of communication. I can't believe that it took so many posts plus references to other sources (that I didn't even bother with) to drive home the point about max acceleration in any gear is at max TQ but max acceleration at any speed (mph) is at max HP. Although the latter is a somewhat confusing statement, it isn’t nearly so complicated as their countless attempts to explain it would suggest. Then the guy correctly stating that fact spent the next umteen posts pushing an inane challenge so obviously flawed in the real world that I was ready to take him up on it myself and collect the prize (his 360). Only after everyone was bored or frustrated with the whole thing did he suddenly include one crucial fact that changed everything.

Overall, at times it was more like the Civic or DSM forums than NSX Prime, but I suppose we've had our low points as well.

There is a good article about this topic (torque vs horsepower, not the inability of the Ferrari guys to communicate) here.

sjs said:
Well that was a waste of a couple hours!! They have a few guys with a clue and others clearly without, but none of them is skilled in the art of communication.

Only after everyone was bored or frustrated with the whole thing did he suddenly include one crucial fact that changed everything.

Overall, at times it was more like the Civic or DSM forums than NSX Prime, but I suppose we've had our low points as well.

I didn't read this thread entirely ( I jumped some pages ) and I agree that there is some inefficient debate and digression ( the CVT discussion considering the thread's purpose ) but I founded that in a certain sense there was the same credo as here; wanting more power regarding sticker price of the 360 Mod, going high torque at low rpm or not, etc.

Considering the Torque vs High Rev debate we can't throw everything that these F-guys said to garbage, even if it would be sweet to some to think so :) , and maybe I'm a curious guy but we can learn from other's mistake and gain a better understanding of things/concepts by also understanding erroneous thoughts some may have about it. For me at least it teaches me ways to explain them differently.

nsxtasy said:
There is a good article about this topic (torque vs horsepower, not the inability of the Ferrari guys to communicate) here.

Of course and I was going to refer them this article. I remember you made me discover this article. Thanks again!

92NSX said:
Thanks nsxtasy and sjs for stating the obvious. I started reading a little but couldn't stand it anymore.

I have that image in my mind about you reading it :) :

No! No! Not that agaiiiin! Everything but not that! ( like Malcom Mc Dowell in Mechanical Orange while forced to watch violence movies... )

Sorry for it! It wasn't my goal to do so!

As I wrote before I didn't read the entire thread ( I will do it ) but I was tempted to do so and post something there as a physicist just to see their reaction ( especially for the courageous person who put his 360 Modena in gage... :D ).

About the 360 Modena gambling I find strange that some people are willing to go that far because I would never make a promise that I wouldn't respect.

apapada said:
This post is my favorite one :D

Yes, and that part of the argument wanted me to post the definition of the word "component" which some of them (teak360 excluded) obviously do not know and yet are willing to use as the basis of personal insults.

Component:

1) A constituent element, as of a system. See Synonyms at element.

2) A part of a mechanical or electrical complex.

3) Mathematics. One of a set of two or more vectors having a sum equal to a given vector.

4) Any of the minimum number of substances required to specify completely the composition of all phases of a chemical system.

That makes torque, along with revolutions and time (RPM) all components of HP by any reasonable definition.

Back