• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Touching up 91-93 OEM wheels

Hello all, I did a search on this topic but couldn't come up with much. I saw in the FAQ where it seemed that a few owners have had good luck finding a match w/the Sebring silver touch up paint. I just wanted to see if this was the general consensous. Thanks for any info.

------------------
Jason

I touched-up my '91 factory wheels by repainting them! They were in too bad of shape to touch-up and I wasn't going to use them long term anyway (I went with aftermarket 17" & 18" - the factory wheels are now my "storage wheels"). I repainted them as follows:

1st coat - Silver
2nd coat - Silver Metal Flake
3rd coat - Glossy Clear
Finally I "blacked in" the areas between the spokes with black paint (My NSX is black).

This last step improved the looks a great deal. IMO the factory 5 spoke always looked to thick, this paint "trick" visually thinned them out. I have also used this method on my '93 MR2 (in that case-red) and much improved its looks.

WARNING: This may ruin the "value of your factory wheels (although it won't damage the wheels themselves). Hope this helps!

------------------
'91 Black/Black

Originally posted by Michigan NSX:
WARNING: This may ruin the "value of your factory wheels

Given how low they generally change hands for (anywhere from $100 to $300 for a set, depending on condition), their value can't go all that much lower anyway.

I found an outfit that specialized in fixing wheels who patch a curb gouge on the spoke, then had the paint "computer matched". Came out perfect.

There are numerous wheel repair companies around the country that can often repair and refinish wheels and seemingly work miracles in restoring them to perfect condition. They're not inexpensive, though; typical prices are $150-200 per wheel.

Back