• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Tough Mudder race to benefit The Wounded Warrior Project

Hello fellow Primers,

I have just registered to run in the Tough Mudder race being held at the Beaver Creek Ski Area this June 26th.

What is the Tough Mudder? Other than my possible death, the Tough Mudder is an endurance race. The course will cover approx 8 miles, during which I will run up a ski mountain, climb over 12ft walls, squeeze through plastic tunnels, squirm through the mud, climb cargo nets, swim under obstacles floating in cold water, run up hill carrying a log, swing like a monkey, wade in a creek, get sprayed by a fire hose, ride a slip-n-slide into a cold pond, wade through a swamp, climb over 8ft obstacles, run down hill, climb over large stacked hay bales, crawl through a snow covered half pipe, ride down another slip-n-slide into another pond, subject myself to some sort of mystery obstacle, get tazed, and then finally finish by running through a corridor of fire....

Ought to be a good time.

As a bonus- I will do all of this at a mean altitude of 9500 ft.

So where do you come in? Well, as part of my commitment to participate in this event it is my distinct honor to be raising funds for the Wounded Warrior Project. Wounded Warrior Project began when several individuals realized that something needed to be done to help our wounded soldiers returning from Iraq, and Afghanistan . The resulting objective was to provide tangible support for the wounded and help them on the road to healing, both physically and mentally. Wounded Warrior Project is a nonprofit organization. So give whatever you would like. All donations go to this great cause. This is one way to say "THANK YOU" to those wounded soldiers who have given us so much.

I do not have a minimum objective for raising these funds, but I set my first personal goal at $1000. As of this posting I am proud to say that I have raised $830 toward the cause, thanks to the support of several friends and relatives who apparently want to see me put myself through this meat grinder of a race.

You too can donate HERE. The fundraising site is run by the organizers of the event, I would prefer not to accept any donations personally.

I am currently training 6 days a week in preparation for this event. I will post pics, and maybe some video of the race here in the aftermath.

Thanks everyone! Tell your friends!

Sincerely,
Philip Glorioso

Last edited:
Well, I broke $1000

Tally stands at $1030. If anyone would like to contribute to the Wounded Warrior Project contributions are still welcome.

Phil

Raced yesterday- Hardest 10 miles of my life! We basically climbed up the ski mountain at Beaver Creek CO, the ran back down it. The obstacles were tough- swimming in 32 degree water was tougher- The tasers were no biggeee though.

here are a few shots from the race... Most of the running, and obstacle work was at higher altitudes, my wife only got shots at the start and toward the finish

Phil

The start
toughMudder116.jpg

toughMudder146.jpg

272617_10150651443160391_501410390_18871258_3426181_o.jpg

toughMudder170.jpg

toughMudder183.jpg

toughMudder186.jpg

All in all, a great race. If you missed your chance to contribute to The Wounded Warrior Project this year- don't worry. I'm running again next year.

Last edited:
So how was running and breathing at that altitude? Seems it would be much harder to catch you breath.

So how was running and breathing at that altitude? Seems it would be much harder to catch you breath.

I live in Denver, and spend a lot of time above 8500 just hanging out in the mountains, so it wasn't too bad. I never really ran out of gas in the tank, but some of the steeper climbs required breaking the pace.

I'll be doing a lot more hill work in the lead up to the 2012 Mudder.

I'm pretty much hooked on these things now. This was my second mud run this summer, and we have at least 2 more short runs in the works. Tough Mudder appears to be the pinnacle event here in the US. The distance, and level of difficulty is unequaled for this type of challenge.

I may also venture out to some other states and run. There is a lot of interest brewing on my Facebook page as friends are getting more interested to run one themselves.

had to post one last pic- they had a professional photographer on the course and he/she got me coming through the 10,000 watt live wires. Its easily the most awesome photo I have from the event.

Here is the cut I lifted from the site (notice the watermark) I DID order and pay for it, my copy is in the mail by now I hope.

shocking-1.jpg

Last edited:
Another Tough Mudder in the bag- CO 2012. They extended the course by 2 miles at the top of the mountain taking us all the way to the top of centennial lift via a circuitous route. This time I wore my new GoPro Hero2 on a Chesty, so I have some vid links for you to enjoy.

Gymnastic Rings: Phil POV
Swingers

Balance beam
Twinkle Toes Jannot

running up the Warped Wall- outside POV: I’m the second guy in the video
Everest.MOV

Monkey Bars
Phil See Monkey Do

Finishing a Tough Mudder: Electroshock followed by finish, and award.
Electric Shock Therapy

Electro shock- outside POV
forced electrolosis.MOV

Charging Electroshock- again
Electro.jpg

Rock
542404_10151178169754409_734327828_n.jpg

Team Pic
579845_3648443602574_191731453_n.jpg

Team finish
finishclose.jpg

Finish