• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Track car of the year update

Rex

Registered Member
I just learned that my new Radical SR3 was completed by the factory in England today and was crated for shipping. The boat trip through the Panama Canal takes a painfully long 3 - 4 weeks, so I asked them to uncrate it and airfreight it to me instead. Because of the time difference between Calif. and England I don’t know if my request arrived before the car left for the docks. If it did my car will be here in 2 days and, Customs willing, I’ll be able to test it at Willow Springs next Wednesday. I won’t be there to see the car come off the plane but I’ll ask the guys at Radical West to shoot some pics. The image of a racecar rolling out of a jet plane knocks me out.

John Morris’s turbo SR3 is also being airfreighted and may be at Willow Springs Wednesday. He’s offered to let me drive it and I can’t wait, although even the non-turboed SR3’s limits are light years beyond mine at this point. BTW, John sold another 3 SR3’s today.

I think I’ve got my hearing problem resolved. John has outfitted all their SR3’s with a new muffler that cuts 10db (making the cars legal for Laguna Seca), and adds 5hp in the process. In addition to the new muffler, I ordered custom-fitted earplugs (good for another 27db reduction) and a Sparco F1 helmet with Peltor earcups (which cuts another 25db). It may end up being too quiet.

I’ll post pics of my car as soon as available. In the meantime here’s a shot from Radical’s site. I don’t know if the rest of you share my interest so if this is too off-topic let me know and I’ll desist.

Rex

Attachments

• lgdscn1869.jpg
    lgdscn1869.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 391
It actually came in less than I expected, about $54,000, due to a more favorable exchange rate but that's before customs duties, freight and sales tax. Grand total with all the above $64,000 including airfreight which added $1,500 over the cost of shipping by boat. If you are more patient than I and willing to wait until they have a container full (4 cars) you can reduce shipping costs by about $2,500 and if you live in a state without sales tax you save another $5,000.

The SR3 is Radical's most expensive car. They also make a slew of other models that are less expensive but still frighteningly quick, starting around $32,000

From the Radical web site:

The full-race SR3 Supersport has proven to be the world's fastest one-make sports racing car, lapping circuits at near Formula 3 times, providing discerning club racers with the ultimate driving experience at a very competitive price, whilst a road-legal* SR3 Tracksport has lapped the BBC's Top Gear test circuit in 1 minute 15 seconds, eight seconds faster than it's nearest rival, the Pagani Zonda. The same car lapped EVO magazine's test track in the wet, 11 seconds faster than a Porsche GT3's dry lap time.
:eek:

1080 lbs (+ fluids & driver) and 252hp (257 now?)... very cool. Send photos when you get to the track. Better yet, send video!

Radical was able to catch my car before it left for the boat and will airfreight it ASAP. Things look good for Willow Springs Wednesday if customs and new muffler installation go swiftly. I'm told that all airfreight is now pressure tested for explosives by placing the shipment in a large armored box and subjecting it to high pressure. Sounds a mite hazardous to security personnel and the item being shipped. Let's hope they don't start pressure testing passengers.

Rex said:
I'm told that all airfreight is now pressure tested for explosives by placing the shipment in a large armored box and subjecting it to high pressure. Sounds a mite hazardous to security personnel and the item being shipped.
It's extremely hazardous to any air-tight system that was not designed for vaccuum conditions! For example, your fuel tank could collapse in on itself.

Any idea what pressure they test to, and just how this is supposed to identify explosives? Maybe some really unstable compounds will detonate upon pressure change (nitroglycerin?) but I suspect most would not: fertilizer/diesel mixtures, plastique, C4, etc. :confused:

Let's hope they don't start pressure testing passengers.
You've obviously not travelled economy-class lately. :D

You've obviously not travelled economy-class lately.

LMAO:D :D :D

I don't have any details about the pressure testing, but I agree it doesn't sound like the best thing to do to a car or anything short of a boulder for that matter. Maybe they are subjecting it to some other triggering force. I'm out of my leagure here; my education in explosives was cut short when I got caught throwing cherry bombs in the pool.

I could be waaaaaay off here but it sounds like the pressure testing El Al does on their cargo. It's actually subjected to lower pressure (as it would be in flight) and I believe the intent is to set off any air pressure triggering mechanism. The pressure on a typical airliner never goes above ~8000' or so, so it shouldn't be enough to do any damage.

Nate

:cool: p.s. BITCHIN' ride, enjoy:cool:

Big_nate said:
I could be waaaaaay off here but it sounds like the pressure testing El Al does on their cargo. It's actually subjected to lower pressure (as it would be in flight) and I believe the intent is to set off any air pressure triggering mechanism. The pressure on a typical airliner never goes above ~8000' or so, so it shouldn't be enough to do any damage.

The cargo area in commercial aircraft is usually not pressurized. They do have specialized cargo compartment for pets, horses, sealed containers…etc. Most likely, the airline is subjecting your vehicle to a vacuum equivalent to the cruising altitude of 35,000 to 36,000 feet so that the components of your car do not explode due to pressure differential, and also for the above stated reason. They are doing it for the safety of your new toy.

Taj,

I'll be happy to give you a ride, but for everyone's sake I’m not giving any rides until I’ve developed some competency with the car. In addition to Willow Springs this Wednesday, Radical West and I are doing track events at Laguna Seca Dec 6 & 7 and Infineon Dec 8 & 9. After that I should be feeling comfortable enough with the car to take passengers. I’ll keep you posted on upcoming events.

Radical Motorsports, England, managed to snag my car before it left for the docks but the first flight they could get it on is Nov. 24 because some wine merchant has booked all available cargo space for wine. Have these people no sense of priorities? Let ‘em drink Night Train! So I’ll be driving one of Radical West’s SR3’s at Willow Springs but will have my car for Laguna Seca & Infineon.

Rex, I have a friend in Italy that has one!

He is kind of crazy for UK track cars (that's why I was able to try the MONSTER DAX RUSH)... you will have plenty of fun!

http://www.ukgarage.it/main.htm

Everything below a Formula 3 can be eatn by the Radical! :eek:

PS: he DROVE it on the public street to Mailand (Italy) from the UK last sommer when they delivered it! Has been stopped 10x times form the German, French, Swiss and Italian police before reaching home... :D

As an alternative to the Radical... I just put down a deposit on thenew Lotus Elise... dual purpose and they will be just a shy under $40k

:p :p :p

Don't want to break your dreams... but... :rolleyes: they are not exactely the same class. No, probably either not in the same universe... :( ;)

The Elise and the Radical are different. Kind of like the MR2 and the NSX... and really I am not joking!

The intent of my post was not to suggest the Elise as a direct replacement for a Radical, but for shorter dollars, the novice racer can have the basics of a car that probably will stay ahead of just about anything else the other novices will bring to the track.

Rex,
You will love the Radical, I got a chance to ride in one, I think my finger marks are still in the roll bar, after I squeezed it in fear.

Just a note I have seen a radical catch fire right at the back just over the tail pipe, A buddy of mine put a heat shield there and no more worries.

Does it still use a Hybusa power plant ? I just saw a video of a 500 hp turbo bike. it is crazy, how about a mod ???

If I can get a copy of it I will post it. Have fun !!!!

NeSX,

From the reviews I've read the new Elise sounds great and may be the best dual purpose car going. As both gheba and you noted it's an entirely different animal than a purpose-built track car like the Radical. Any dual purpose vehicle like the Elise involves compromises and those compromises reduce performance on the track and comfort on the road.

If you want a car you can drive to the track, have a blast with and drive home, the Elise is a great choice. If you want a dedicated track car, I don't think there's anything close to the Radical. One of Radical West's newest customers is a fellow named Arnaud Weber, who, after trying a Radical SR3, decided to sell his Elise spec racer , one of only 64 built by Lotus, and buy an SR3. If I remember correctly (always doubtful) his lap times in the SR3 were something like 25 seconds faster than in his race-prepared, non-street legal Elise.

Heres a link to his ad which describes the car in great detail and includes photos: http://www.acw-com.activeserverhosting.com/lem/

Decon,

Thanks for the heads-up on the heat shield. I'll check with Radical West and see if the problem has been eliminated in the 2004's. Radical still uses the Hayabusa engine, albeit modified by Powertec to produce 205hp in the 1300cc and 252hp in the 1500cc.

500hp turbo bike? Power to weight ratio of about 1:1. Now that's scary. Radical is developing a V8 consisting of two conjoined Hayabusa's. I've learned they're not planning to turbo it (at least initially) but it still ought to be good for around 400hp. Not too shabby in an 1150 lb car.

NeSX said:
The intent of my post was not to suggest the Elise as a direct replacement for a Radical, but for shorter dollars, the novice racer can have the basics of a car that probably will stay ahead of just about anything else the other novices will bring to the track.

NeSX, sorry maybe I sounded harsh. It was not my intention... it is only that maybe since both are new stuff for the US market the average consumer may think they are close. Welll this is exactely the comparison MR2 vs NSX. If somebody is interested in a track car, the 10k$ differece do indeed buy you a car (Radical) that is extremely more performant than the Elise.

Of course the Radical on the street is not very desirable ;) altough somepeople do that in the "permissive" Europa... On the track though there is not much that can stay in front of it. Enzo and Carrera GT (>500k$ cars) included... :eek:

Rex said:

I don't think there's anything close to the Radical.

I will report more about this in December. Some CRAZY friends rented an airport in Switzerland where they are going to test the Dax Rush Quadra vs the Radical SR3 on a 2km path. There are many turns and a straight where 150 mph can be reached.

I still think the Dax Quadra is on another level but if it is not the case, WOW, you got some serious track gear! :eek:

(PS: the Dax is 1300 lbs, 4 wheeldrive and 440 ps. The Radical SR3 is 1050 lbs and 200 ps. A Radical Prosport would probably be very close to the Dax.)

Gheba,

I'll be very interested to hear the outcome of the Dax/Radical duel. I hope they shoot some video. The Dax Rush Quadra has obvious hp advantages and should win on the straights but it lacks the downforce of the SR3 in the turns. The question is whether the Quadra's 4-wheel drive is a match for the SR3's physics-defying handling. Lap times will tell. Keep us posted. BTW, the 1500cc SR3 is 252hp. If they want to compare apples to apples they should match the Dax against the 1500cc SR3 Turbo, which puts out 330hp. I'd bet on the SR3.

As far as I know, Dax isn't sold in the US, probably out of fear of liability. Westfield won't sell in this country either, for the same reason. It's our loss. The UK has a hugely energetic trackday culture with dozens, if not hundreds, of small, independent manufacturers fiercely competing to develop faster, lighter, grippier, more affordable track cars. That is at least in part a result of the UK's legal system, which is much less friendly to liability claims than ours in the US. Few track car manufacturers can afford the liability insurance here and even fewer want to play bet-your-company in front of a US jury.

Back