• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Track car opinions?

Hi guys, I got some money to play around with. Anyways, I am considering a car to run strictly at the track or to have fun with. I want to spend about $2,000 on the car. I will drop in a new engine or suspension mods probably with the extra cash to make it into a decent track car. Preferably something light and RWD is what I want. Could be old too, just as long as its fun to drive.

So far my choices are a BMW 2002, 1st gen RX7, or Corolla GTS AE86. The 3 I mentioned are very light (Ranging from 2200-2400lbs) and RWD.

What should I go for? Have anything else to add to the list? Thanks!

[This message has been edited by Dan H (edited 21 February 2003).]

Unless you are doing all the labor yourself, you might want to explore newer cars. True you are paying a lot more up front, but it won't require much work.

I built a couple old BMW, like 2002, and 88 M3. Any car that is more than 10 years old will require a lot, in order to make them track worthy.

All the parts that are about to go or worn out because of age need to be replaced. This can cover, clutch, altenator, starter, flex disc, drive shaft support bearing, engine mount, tranny mount shocks, springs and all the bushings. Just the labor for all the bushing will cost you arm and leg because of work that is involved. Some will require removal of front and rear control arm. Not to mention any repair work needed because of rust.

All in all, it will cost about $5K or even more, to make an old car track worthy. Trust me, I've been in that road before. Well, maybe with the exception of first gen RX7, but that car is so ugly.
smile.gif

------------------
<A HREF="http://www.tracknutz.com" TARGET=_blank>www.tracknutz.com
</A>

[This message has been edited by Andrie Hartanto (edited 21 February 2003).]

Thanks for your opinion and info. Yes, I'll be doing nearly all the work myself so it will save me loads of dough. I'll know it will cost 5-6K when its track worthy but I don't really mind.

That money was supposed to be for NSX upgrades but I figured out I will be well off with my investment so I might as well have some fun now with a beater/track car.
smile.gif

How about a MK1 MR2? Nice ones for under $2K. Great ones for a bit more.
Light enough and easy to lighten more, very strong, cheap parts, mid-engine.

------------------
Happy Motoring At all Costs!

The Mr2 is actually a very good choice. A lot of the parts are easily available, including performance parts.

How bout Miata? the craze about spec miata makes all kind of performance parts readily available, at very reasonable price as well.

Miata is ahoot to drive. It would be my first choice, if you are restricted to RWD.

My first choice overall is a civic. A lot of people think FWD is easy to drive. IMHO, it is harder to drive fast.

Thanks, I'll consider the MR2 (heard the 1st gen has very nimble handling) and Miata. The Miata is slightly over my price range but I'll see what I can do.

Andrie, don't think we've ever met. Haven't been to a meet (not an NSX owner yet but will be in a year and half.) Decided not to track the NSX though but maybe later on.

Hey I love the Corolla GTS AE86 and the gen2 MR2s! How about a Subaru XT6 (Turbo)? Is that a trackable car (or track-feasible car w/mods)?

For what you're looking to spend I would go with a Miata. Otherwise BMW 3 series would be my choice.

------------------
Hal - Speed of Heat
Houston, Texas
95T Blk\Blk SportShift - sold
Speed%20of%20Heat.gif

(Funny you mention that, my daily driver is an older BMW 3 series.)
wink.gif

Thanks for the suggestions. Maybe I'll save up a little more for a Miata. Let you know in a few months which car I purchase!

[This message has been edited by Dan H (edited 23 February 2003).]

Back