• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Track change interval for ATE super blue

What is the recommended change interval for ATE super blue when tracking?

I have talked to people who completely flush the brake system after every track event, others who do it annually, any advice?

I only run 2 or 3 HPDE weekends per year and only drive the car on the street to and from the track. I have upgraded pads, but an otherwise stock brake system. I run in group 3/4 with NASA, so fairly aggressive, but definitely not racing.

I have 4 total track days on the current fluid. I appreciate any recommendations!

What is the recommended change interval for ATE super blue when tracking?

I have talked to people who completely flush the brake system after every track event, others who do it annually, any advice?

I only run 2 or 3 HPDE weekends per year and only drive the car on the street to and from the track. I have upgraded pads, but an otherwise stock brake system. I run in group 3/4 with NASA, so fairly aggressive, but definitely not racing.

I have 4 total track days on the current fluid. I appreciate any recommendations!

Change it out in the spring before track season and it should be good to go for the year. The main reason you change the fluid is because it eventually absorbs moisture lowering the boiling point, however I think once a year should be fine. I do it in the spring as the car sits all winter in the garage.

Hell, most people NEVER change out their fluid. :rolleyes:

Change it out in the spring before track season and it should be good to go for the year. The main reason you change the fluid is because it eventually absorbs moisture lowering the boiling point, however I think once a year should be fine. I do it in the spring as the car sits all winter in the garage.
iagree.gif

for light duty track use you may get by with an annual change, but twice a year is probably better. note that many clubs require (at least on paper) a brake fluid change before the event. assuming you're jacking up the car and inspecting the pads/rotors it's trivial to bleed the fluid as well. ate blue tends to stain the reservoir blue so consider using ate 200 gold instead, it's the same product w/o dye.

for light duty track use you may get by with an annual change, but twice a year is probably better. note that many clubs require (at least on paper) a brake fluid change before the event. assuming you're jacking up the car and inspecting the pads/rotors it's trivial to bleed the fluid as well. ate blue tends to stain the reservoir blue so consider using ate 200 gold instead, it's the same product w/o dye.

I like the blue because when I flush the system I switch to the gold and that way I know when I have completely fresh fluid it's no longer blue or even light blue mix.

Then the next time I switch back to blue again and when it's solid blue I'm fresh again. :biggrin:

I've been using Motul RBF 600, and this year started using Prospeed RS683, for their much higher boiling points than the ATE fluid (683F for Prospeed, 594F for Motul, 536F for ATE).

I've been using Motul RBF 600, and this year started using Prospeed RS683, for their much higher boiling points than the ATE fluid (683F for Prospeed, 594F for Motul, 536F for ATE).

Overkill imho
If you succeed to get ATE superblue boiling, there is something seriously wrong with either your brake system or braking method.
Am using it for over 10 years in all my (track and street) cars and have never had any fluid related problems.
We flush once a season with about 8 race events and about 6 training days.
Bleeding is only needed if you feel your brakepedal softening or if the brake capacity diminishes. We haven't bled the track Miata yet this season and brakes are still perfect. (mind you, we are on the 4th set of front and 3rd set of rear pads and 2nd set of front rotors for this season now :rolleyes::biggrin:)

Last edited:
The BMW club here in St. Louis wants you to replace brake fluid no later than 2 weeks before track events :cool:. I use ATE blue and haven't had any issues. I do check the fluid for small air bubbles with a clear tube attached to speed bleeders before every track event (you never know?) and replace it yearly.
Happy Motoring!

Last edited:
The BMW club here in St. Louis wants you to replace brake fluid no later than 2 weeks before track events :cool:. I use ATE blue and haven't had any issues. I do check the fluid for small air bubbles with a clear tube attached to speed bleeders before every track event (you never know?) and replace it yearly.
Happy Motoring!

BMW Club = Track Nazis. :rolleyes:

The BMW club here in St. Louis wants you to replace brake fluid no later than 2 weeks before track events
I'm guessing you meant to say "no earlier" rather than "no later".

And I really doubt that that's what they say. Maybe it says that on their form, but I can't believe they would demand that brake fluid be changed before every track event. I know some of the leaders of the track events in the Gateway Chapter and they're reasonable guys. I've run with most of the BMW CCA chapters across the Midwest and I've never run into that.

Back