• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Track Report: Thunderhill West (2 Mile) on 9/24-25 in 100 deg heat

I just got back from a weekend at Thunderhill Raceway north of San Francisco. We ran the new "West" 2-mile track, not the original 3-mile track that some here may be familiar with. It is a tight, technical track with short straights (most of them not really straight).

I ran the car in back-to-back 20 minute sessions with my brother (car on track for 40 minutes at a time). Saturday was 95 degs, Sunday was >100 Degs.

Neither of us had run this track configuration before, so the morning of the first day was spent learning the line and playing with the car. Tip #1 : the Conti's want to be around 30-32 HOT psi, requiring a starting morning cold pressure of about 23PSI. Tip #2 : the ceramic brakes need a 1/2 lap to come up to operating temperature and the bite and feel REALLY changes from cold to hot-- be careful on your "out lap." Tip #3 : car burns one gallon of gas for every five minutes on track (8 gallons after two 20 minutes sessions, but was only 5.1 gallons per two sessions in our morning sessions before we started hammering it). YMMV :biggrin:

I was running in the "Fast Advanced" group even though I was new to track and car-- some very fast race prepped cars and good drivers, but not a lot of high-priced latest and greatest. Anyone with track experience knows that a good driver in a Spec Miata can spank any newbie, and some "not-so-spec" Miatas, Lotuses (Loti?), Evos, old Vettes, etc. are a tough crowd to keep up with.

After a couple of sessions in Sport+ mode for an extra margin of safety, we ran the rest of the weekend in Track mode. Track mode seems to make a big difference in responsiveness and permissiveness of the nannies (which never really kicked in unless I made a mistake). Track mode keeps the revs insanely high and keeps the battery fully charged. At end of short straight (terminal speeds of only about 100 mph), battery was typically around 60-75%, and was full again before getting to full throttle at exit of next turn. It will be interesting to see how the battery performs at tracks with longer straights with terminal speeds of 140+ (it seems like it would be OK). Overheating was never an issue-- although at end of afternoon today (when it was REALLY hot), we both felt the car was a bit down on power. Since my iPhone/laptimer went into thermal protect mode (!), I have no data to confirm or refute this.

Car seemed very neutral at turn in, and (once you pick up the pace) is very easy to throttle steer / rotate. I tried to see if I could "feel" the TQ vectoring. Honestly, in faster turns, I didn't notice anything-- the car just seemed "lighter" and more eager to turn in than I expected. Someone asked about understeer. I don't think it is an issue. Easily addressed with the throttle. But I'm not at 10/10ths of the limit.

In a few slower corners where it was safe to play, I intentionally got on the power very early for throttle-induced oversteer. Here's where the AWD really shined (or, at least was VERY noticeable to me). As the back end rotated around the apex, the front wheels pulled the car around and kept it more or less pointed in right direction, all at WOT. Very cool. Here's where, even in Track mode, the nannies kicked in a bit if the back end swung around too much. I can see where a really good driver would want a bit more freedom to rotate the car and would turn everything off. I probably would have spun a few times trying to get it just right, so I'm a happy camper. A few RWD cars spun out in front of me in one particular turn trying to keep ahead of me, so I was happy to have the AWD edge.

Power delivery is SUPER smooth, shifts are instant, and car picks up speed deceptively fast. We leaned on the brakes HARD and never had any hint of fade or problems. Are we *sure* there is no "physical connection" between brake pedal and brakes? Seems pretty conventional feeling to me.

So, how fast is it? Kind of hard to say. I've never run another car on this configuration, so I can't directly say that I am faster/slower in NSX versus car XYZ. I did a 1:30 fastest lap yesterday. I felt faster today, but iPhone overheated so I have no data. I was keeping up or passing most of the other "Fast Advanced" drivers, but of course this is wide mix of cars and drivers. The best evidence I have is that there was a guy there today in a Z06 on Cup2s that I was at a different track with last week when I was also in my Z06. He was faster than me last week (although he was on Cup2s and I was on SuperSports then). Today (me on Contis in NSX, him on Cup2s), I was able to keep up with him and even passed him once. What does it mean? I think most would agree that a C7Z06 should be faster than the NSX around any track in pro hands. And yet, in my non-pro hands, I seem to be about the same speed in the C7Z06 and the NSX.

Bottom line is the NSX performed like a champ, is a blast to drive and inspires confidence in mere mortals. If you get one, please track it at least once.

I ordered photos from the photographer at the event and will post here when I get.

One more thing: Owner's manual says to remove the tire patch goop and air pump, which I did. You should ALSO remove the black styrofoam mold where that stuff (and tow hook) are stored and also the "tweezers" for removing the lug nut caps. It all melted / deformed. I think you could easily cook a TV dinner back there.

Congrats man!

Prior to the NSX track day in Ohio, I had never been to the track. Easy to drive and makes the right turbo and DCT shifting/exhaust noises. the tq vectoring is very apparent. its one of the first things i noticed on my first lap.

Good to know about the styrofoam. Guess the shielding that was added during pre production trials still isn't enough. There was a poster on Jalopnik who is most likely an insider at Honda R&D in Ohio who talked about a cell phone melting in the trunk.

Thanks Chris.....Objective without fluff in your review.

Thanks for posting! Did you notice the supposedly tapering off of the electric motors?

For example, did the torque vectoring feel different at 40mph vs 100mph?

It felt most noticeable to me out of slower turns (30-50 MPH min speeds). In general it just seemed to have bonus grip and less mass if that makes sense. The car always felt very strong. Not "brutal power" just a continuous stream of thrust. No one pulled away from me on the main straight (even C7 Z06). But, again, very hard to draw conclusions from other cars/drivers. I pointed by many Evo's, for example.

Thank you for the report. Am happy you liked the car and the experience and also you kept it in one piece.

The power being a bit less when the engine/car is very hot is not that strange. Most turbocharged cars have this problem when things get really. hot. At least it handled the heat better than an Apple :smile:

The fact that a driver in NSX can keep up with more or less equally fast cars with better drivers does say something. Although I am not sure what yet.

Thanks to @<a href="http://www.nsxprime.com/forum/member.php?u=20915" target="_blank">RYU</a> for pointing me to this video of a Golf R (perhaps with some add-on bits?) chasing me down.

If I remember you said you have a good amount of hpde experience , I will be looking forward to your reports on how the car runs on a R compound tire.

If I remember you said you have a good amount of hpde experience , I will be looking forward to your reports on how the car runs on a R compound tire.

I already have a set of Cup2s in my garage. :) Going to Sonoma in two weeks wit the NSX and Z06 and a friend who is a very fast racer. We will drive head to head, swapping cars. I have not driven at Sonoma much (or recently) and am allergic to concrete walls, but my friend should generate data on capability of car and I will generate data on same (intermediate) driver back to back in different cars. At least, that's the plan. If I can figure out how to get the overlay data to sync with video in Harrys Latimer, I will have some video from there. I have video from Thunderhill but the data is so out of sync as to be distracting / unhelpful. Maybe I'll upload a lap of raw video just for kicks.

I like how the car scoots out of the slower corners...I could feel the golf driver getting excited as your interval decreased on the last turn only to see you run away on the short straight...

Thanks to @RYU for pointing me to this video of a Golf R (perhaps with some add-on bits?) chasing me down.
Jon owns the Golf R. He runs Track Spec which specializes in track prepped Corvettes, Lotus, Miatas, S2000s, and he sets up local NSX owners like Jeff who's one of the fastest in the 1st gen NSX I know. You were in good company out there [MENTION=32457]chrisn[/MENTION]! I'm fairly certain his Golf R was an uber sleeper.

A separate question.. Since you have a Z06 and assuming all maintenance, running costs, warranty issues, are off the table, which car do you prefer to track? Also, how do you feel about the Contis? Doesn't have to be the fastest but they look like they must have felt pretty nice.

I think I got the data to sync. Shakey mount and some focal point hunting, but I am posting this up for science.

- - - Updated - - -

A separate question.. Since you have a Z06 and assuming all maintenance, running costs, warranty issues, are off the table, which car do you prefer to track? Also, how do you feel about the Contis? Doesn't have to be the fastest but they look like they must have felt pretty nice.

Too soon to say. I found the NSX to be less scary to get on the throttle early. I'm going to reserve judgement until I have the chance to drive them back-to-back. I noticed from the data that the NSX was holding ~1.1G in sweepers compared to 1.2-1.3G in Z06. Not sure how much of that is down to car, tires, track or weather (HOT!).

In the morning of first day, I thought the Conti's were crap. Felt super greasy and screamed so loud I thought they were going to give up on me. But once we zeroed in on good PSI (we ran 32 on first day, but noticed center wear, so dropped to 30 (hot) day two), and learned the line, they were fine. I have no basis to compare to Cup2s/Trofeo on NSX, but I assume the latter tires are grippier and prob good for a couple of seconds on a two mile track. Conti's really didn't seem to get greasy like some street tires in these conditions, but, again, maybe I wasn't pushing them hard.

great point about bleeding down the hot pressures....I wonder if the magazine testers were as expeditious in chasing optimal tire pressures on their track testing...

Did you notice any chunking on the Contis? I'd have expected some given the heat and weight of the car but if not, sounds like a pretty darn good tire deserving of more credit.

No chunking. Tire seemed decent.

- - - Updated - - -

Nice meeting you and your brother on Saturday. I'm looking forward to pics of our cars from the photo shoot. And thanks for posting your review here.

Ditto. I'm hoping that a few of the Gen 1 / Gen 2 "rolling shots" turned out well.

FYI for others, [MENTION=24463]mochanges[/MENTION] had his very-mean-looking Gen 1 car at track and the photographer asked us to do a little photo shoot at lunch where we drove around the track at low speed and they darted around us in a chase truck with photographer taking pics out of the back.

Thanks for sharing the details of your excellent week end of the track.

Did you try to get the rear to slide out at all or do you prefer to maintain grip at all times?

- - - Updated - - -

You have been tweeted

https://twitter.com/search?vertical=news&q=acura%20nsx&src=typd

This is very cool to see and great "real" info of the car at a track. I really enjoy reading these. Glad to see owners getting these cars to the track! Thanks for sharing.

Thanks for sharing the details of your excellent week end of the track.

Did you try to get the rear to slide out at all or do you prefer to maintain grip at all times?

I like to maintain 100% control at all times. 100% Grip? Not so much. Definitely was doing some throttle rotation in several turns, and fairly pronounced tail slides (but no smoke or drifting) out of a couple of tight corners. AWD really seemed to help there.

Photographer (http://www.tyrphoto.com) posted a teaser shot from his work at OnGrid's Thunderhill event last weekend. Old versus New:

attachment.php

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-09-27 at 10.25.39 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2016-09-27 at 10.25.39 PM.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 421
Did you notice any chunking on the Contis? I'd have expected some given the heat and weight of the car but if not, sounds like a pretty darn good tire deserving of more credit.

I bent a rim hitting a nasty berm on the track, so pulled the wheel for repair (aesthetic damages only it seems). If can't be repaired, dealer quoted $768 for new wheel (front).

Anyway, here's a picture of the Conti's with four track days on them (two days, double duty). Wear seems reasonably even and tires are still a bit above the wear indicators. Can't complain. I am going to swap these out for Cup2s and save the Conti's for winter/street use. I think they would be toast after 1 or 2 more track days.

attachment.php

Also, getting some "wheel hanger" thingies is a must for one-man wheel removal, especially in the fronts. Not a ton of clearance around the ceramic rotors and a ding could be expensive. I had these from another car, but I am buying another set to keep in NSX.

attachment.php

Attachments

• NSX Contis after four track days IMG_3097.jpg
    NSX Contis after four track days IMG_3097.jpg
    355.1 KB · Views: 335
  • NSX Wheel hangers IMG_3096.jpg
    NSX Wheel hangers IMG_3096.jpg
    164.3 KB · Views: 334
Back