• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

track tires - help

Please help me pick out some competition track tires. I have 2 extra sets of rims -stock 15/16 '91 rims and stock 16/17 '94 rims. I'm not sure which set to use. I'd like to use 16/17 rims just because they are wider, but I can't find any sticky tires in 16" for the front. I'd like to use either the Khumo VictoRacer or Yokohamma A032R. So my question is which wheel set will be better to use for track tires? Should I just use the 15/16 set since I can easily find competition tires or is there a 16" tire for the front that I can't find? Thanks.

The easiest thing to do is to use the 15/16 rims and get either tire in the stock tire size. The sizes are fine - you don't need to go any wider. (If you are really looking for that extra little bit of performance, you could try the Hoosier R3S03 tires. They wear faster and they're more expensive and they don't do well in the wet, but they will stick slightly better in the dry. But unless you're in actual competition events, the A032R or the Kumho will be darn close.)

With the stock sizes, you can also fit all four tires inside the car to take them to the track, instead of having to drive to the track on your track tires and wear them out. That might not matter if you're just going to Road Atlanta, but I wouldn't want to drive on my track tires to Roebling Road or VIR.

I am using the stock 15/16 wheels with the Yokohama A032R. (The two kinds of Kumho track tires are also very good and I have used the V700 Victoracer.)

The people I know using 16/17 wheels with track tires are using Pirelli Zero C track tires which are very hard to find. You may be able to find the new Michelin track tires (the Pilot Sport Cup, not to be confused with their other Pilot Sport models) in sizes for the 16/17 that work, but don't count on them fitting inside the car.

[This message has been edited by nsxtasy (edited 20 January 2003).]

I use the 15/16 stock wheels with the Kumho track tires and like them a lot. Its also a bonus to be able to fit them in the car.

I just started using the Khumos. 205/50/15 up front and 245/45/16 in the rear. The rear wheel will easily handle the larger size, but I am not sure about putting a 225/45/15 on the skinnier front wheel. Total for all four tires was around $500 from the Tirerack, and they handle like a dream (unless it is 32 degrees outside and the track is cold
frown.gif
).

I would track with the smaller wheels. You only want enough wheel to clear the brakes. Less weight on the suspension, so handling is improved. The R compound is sticky enough you will not miss the 1/2 inch front and back. Throw a big ass spoiler on the back and a vented hood on the front and you will stick in the corners like glue. As a matter of fact, I now want a tighter limited slip because I can spin my inside rear wheel with this setup.
biggrin.gif

------------------
Gary Yates
1995 Red/Tan Boooleevard Cruzer
1992 White/Black Track Rat
2002 Red and White Cooper S - for sale, please inquire

I didn't even think to try and look up 205, I just tried 215 and 225 for the 16". I'd love to go with the Hoosiers, but I just can't justify paying an extra $150-$200 AND them not lasting as long. I'm just starting out so maybe eventually I'll try the hoosiers out if I get good enough. Hmmm...I'm not sure if this made my choice any easier. But I think I'm talked into sticking with the 15/16 set up. Now, Khumos or Yokos? All these decisions....

By the way, doesn't your car get dirty from putting tires inside and on your seats???

Gary, as much as I'd like my car to look like your white one, I think I'm going to pass. No matter what I do, I don't think I'll ever get mine to look as pretty as yours.
smile.gif
Especially with all of those luxury interior features you have.

Originally posted by ncdogdoc:
Throw a big ass spoiler on the back and a vented hood on the front and you will stick in the corners like glue.

Or, leave the stock spoiler and hood, and you will stick in the corners like glue.
biggrin.gif

Originally posted by stevefromatl:
Now, Khumos or Yokos?

Think of track tires falling along a spectrum. At one end are the best "pure track" tires - great traction on dry pavement, but screw treadlife, screw wet traction, screw price. That would be the Hoosiers. At the other end are the track tires that are the most like street tires - still very very good traction on dry pavement, but better treadlife, better wet traction, and better price. That would be the Yokohama A032R. The two Kumho tires (the Ecsta V700 and the Victoracer V700) are both towards the Yoko end of the spectrum, but not all the way there - slightly better dry traction, slightly poorer in wet and treadlife, but the differences are slight.

It's not a big deal either way; either one will be just fine.

Originally posted by stevefromatl:
doesn't your car get dirty from putting tires inside and on your seats???

Not if you first put each one inside a large trash bag - the 33 gallon leaf bags work best.

I use the Yoko A032R in the OEM 15/16 sizes. The tires are cheap - Yoko discounts (or subsidizes, depending how you look at it) its racing tires so that people will use them which, in turn, helps sell its street tires - but they stick like crazy and wear very well for a race tire. And, as an added benefit, you get better suspension performance from the lighter weight and lower rotational inertia of the smaller wheels. Remember, you only need big wheels to fit over big brakes.

Back