• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Track Wheels Question

Hello,

I wasn't sure whether this topic would belong to the "Track" or "Tire&Wheel" seciton. So I decided to post it here (moderator: please feel free to move this to an appropriate section).

Here is my question:

My track wheels vibrate only between 50-60mph. My wheel repair guy and I suspect that there must be some kind of bent in the barrel of the front rims (I cannot see any bent on the outside or inside of the rims) - FYI: we ruled out that tires are not out of balance.

These wheels will be used only at the track. I know that a lot of you are using beaten up wheels at the track. I am not sure if I want to spend $$ on straightening or "trueing" the wheels.
Is it okay to leave them as they are or will it be dangerous? Everything else is fine on the wheels.

Thank you in advance.

If it were me with this problem, I would replace the bent wheels (if they are truly bent). Vibration, at any speed, can be, at the very least, a distraction and could, at worst, cause a loss of control.

I think the main fear would be that the vibration would cause the lugs to prematurely loosen. Have your shop re-balance on the high sensitivity setting, as well as set a feeler arm on the barrel, and you will hear if it is out of round. You can sometimes actually see if out of round on the machine.

TigerNSX said:
FYI: we ruled out that tires are not out of balance.
I had a similar problem, albeit with my street set. Original mount and balance showed them to be balanced. Yet when I took them to another tech, he showed me that they were not adequetly balanced. Moral of the story: Quality labor is hard to find. My guy re-balanced my tires and problem was solved. Just food for thought. ;)

Thanks for the help, guys!

Could it be that the wheels are fine and the tires are "cupped"? Happened to me before on my old Explorer, I was getting the vibration right at 50mph.

hlweyl said:
Could it be that the wheels are fine and the tires are "cupped"? Happened to me before on my old Explorer, I was getting the vibration right at 50mph.

Actually, the tires are quite new and not cupped. The wheels are really in rough condition (cosmetically) :eek:... I am just not sure whether it will be safe to use them.. However, they are fine from 0-50mph, and 60+mph.

Just never slow down:D:D:D

"... I am just not sure whether it will be safe to use them.."

As soon as you say this, they arn't!
You should have 0% doubt about your equipment before going out on the track. I been taught this the hard way on more than one occasion. I am not talking about thinking of a failure and then having it happen, I am talking about the hesitation that creeps into your mind when things are not going right at very high speeds - that usually leds to disaster.

I agree with the above and also reiterate that not every place can load ballance a wheel/tire properly.There is a beter method than offered at the usual tire stores.I have had tire/wheel combo that had a little vibration that was okayed by one shop and at my dealer who has the fancy load ballancer was able to reseat the tire on the rim to alleviate the vibration.Also I agree 100% that you should not track a car without being completly happy with it.The track is no place for comprimises and doubt!

Back