• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Tracks in Vancouver/Portland area?

Cal

Registered Member
We're considering relocating to the Vancouver/Portland area and U wondered if there are any local tracks. If so how much for a half/full day. I saw a sign for Portland Speedway. Any organized activity?

Cal
91 red/blk 156kmiles.

Cal said:
We're considering relocating to the Vancouver/Portland area and U wondered if there are any local tracks. If so how much for a half/full day. I saw a sign for Portland Speedway. Any organized activity?

Cal
91 red/blk 156kmiles.

You've come to the right place. Portland is one of only a handful of road courses here in the PNW region- Portland, Pacific, Spokane, Mission, and Bremerton which as of this last summer still held a few days at. IMO, Portland is the nicest and safest of our local area tracks for taking the NSX out.

Chris Bender posted the dates for the remaining track days for this year in another thread herein. Most events will require pre-registration, and run around $175 or so depending if you already have ran or not with the hosting club.

John@Microsoft said:
You've come to the right place. Portland is one of only a handful of road courses here in the PNW region- Portland, Pacific, Spokane, Mission, and Bremerton which as of this last summer still held a few days at. IMO, Portland is the nicest and safest of our local area tracks for taking the NSX out.

Chris Bender posted the dates for the remaining track days for this year in another thread herein. Most events will require pre-registration, and run around $175 or so depending if you already have ran or not with the hosting club.

John, I've only driven PIR once and been there only speculating twice. I heard the track will get as slippery as a ski arena as soon as rain drops, and with the many concrete walls at the front and back straights, can it really be the safest??

NSXDreamer2 said:
John, I've only driven PIR once and been there only speculating twice. I heard the track will get as slippery as a ski arena as soon as rain drops, and with the many concrete walls at the front and back straights, can it really be the safest??

Absolutely. IMO there is a lot more run off room. With the festival curves in place, starting from Turn 1, pretty much through 1A forward through the entire back section up until around 5 there is very healthy run-off room from the edge of the track to the tire wall given the average speeds through those sections.

In the few incidents I've personally seen there over the years at events I've attended, depending on speed and circumstance... most never even leave the asphault particularly in B and C groups- if they turn the car around at average HPDE lapping day speeds.

Most common is a turn around in the festivals as Heather and Mike did their first times out, or at the exit to turn 8, and worst case I've seen a novice or two entirely miss the braking zone at the end of the back straight, shoot through 7, stop or run the grass, re-enter the track, leave again then arrive on the other side just shy of the tire wall.

The worst two incidents as I recall seeing from last year was a totalled Mustang fish tailed by a novice in C1 in the wet and hit the wall edge backwards, and a crushed Nissan Z front fender on the tirewall out of turn 9 getting onto the straight.

Of course, that is limited perspective, I'd have to inquire with Pat, John, Colby, or Eddie whom are attending the open lapping events near every week now for a current list of incidents from 06'. I'm sure their are others.

However, in general aside from watching the Porsche bumps and aggressive passing on the back straight, and maybe not getting all too gun-ho on the front section into 9... I've always felt good there; perhaps aside from maybe not having the latest greatest crash barriers PIR is about as safe as a modern track gets. Excellent run-off, good visibility, minimal 5' elevation change, good grading, well maintained, quick access to area medical/trauma, etc...

Mind you this is entirely contrary to Pacific Raceways... which while a little more fun at times... offers inconsequential run-off room, trees, elevation changes, bad location for area medical, far worse grading, challenging visibility, debris from the surrounding environment, shading and moisture from trees making some areas harder to dry out... they have literally lost millions of dollars in cars there over the years and their are few places whereas if you just totally lost it carrying healthy speed that you wouldn't total out an NSX. The current schema was a quick fix, and is slated for future investment/over haul in the coming years per their NASCAR ambitions.

Since most of us are not driving little club racers, and it doesn't really take a whole lot to total an expensive NSX out to begin with.. personally I like to edge on the side of caution while I am there, or just take the S2K if I can instead. I have respect for that track.

But more pressing than losing a car out of pocket, I've pulled off for emergency mechanicals on the back section at Pacific and I honestly don't think anyone would have noticed if I was having a heart attack out there. The corner worker stations simply don't have the best visibility over the entire race surface at Pacific, and I think over the long haul it has showed in the passing behaviors, and incidents in some areas.

All that aside, any plans to come out to PIR in late Oct per the updated schedule? It would be cool if maybe we could get a few together for one last day out for the end of the season..

Last edited:
All that aside, any plans to come out to PIR in late Oct per the updated schedule? It would be cool if maybe we could get a few together for one last day out for the end of the season..
My plan is to get more familiar with PIR before nsxpo 08, well, I think I still have time. Jackson is entertaining the idea of joining Alfa club next Saturday at PR. I currently have no tires at all, and it's tempting to go, just not sure if I would buy a set of new tires and let it sit thru the winter.

I have instructed at PIR for 4 years and have to say that I have never seen anyone get in trouble at a HPDE on this track if they drive with in their ability.

That being said, every year I see cars go home on flat beds, with drivers very sad and usually not sure 'what went wrong?'. This a great sport, but it takes years to learn, more years to master, and one never stops learning. Most of those guys who end up in a wall, thought they mastered something that an accident proves they did not. Stay humble, make very small increments in change and all will do well on this track.

I like PIR because it is an easy track to learn, and a very hard track to master, finding the last few seconds in any car is a challenge.

Pacific Raceways, PIR, Bremeton, Spokane, Mission BC, Thunderhill and even Infineon are all with in a day's drive. This is a great place to drive!

BTW: If you include Sears Point and Thunderhill, might as well include Laguna Seca (Mazda Raceway) in Monterey as well.

Known many BMW/Audi folks from OR who drove all the way down to do track events there, even going over the OR/CA border and dealing with snow with street tires during the winter too, talk about being hard-core :D

NSXDreamer2 said:
My plan is to get more familiar with PIR before nsxpo 08, well, I think I still have time. Jackson is entertaining the idea of joining Alfa club next Saturday at PR. I currently have no tires at all, and it's tempting to go, just not sure if I would buy a set of new tires and let it sit thru the winter.

Ferrand,

You can learn quite a bit about tracks by watching on-track videos, that's what I did before hitting PIR last year, or you can always ride with Dave and steal some of his secrets too.. hehe :D,

Ken

BTW:standing water might be a bigger problem at PIR compared to PR because of the relative flatness of the track so that might be the reason why some folks have expressed concerns about it being slippery when wet.

2slow2speed said:
BTW: If you include Sears Point and Thunderhill, might as well include Laguna Seca (Mazda Raceway) in Monterey as well.

Known many BMW/Audi folks from OR who drove all the way down to do track events there, even going over the OR/CA border and dealing with snow with street tires during the winter too, talk about being hard-core :D
Any farther than Infineon and it just kicks my ass, that's why I left Laguna Seca off. That might change if I get a trailer and big comfy rig, but right now the NSX is a push to sit in for more than 8 hours and feel like driving the next day...I am old and weak...:redface:

PS. All you need are cables for the pass, I have my 275-35-18 set still in the plastic box:biggrin: They are way cheaper than the ticket if you get stuck:eek:

Standing water is not that big an issue at PIR, one does drive a different line but other than that it is just about not driving in the puddles...

What is odd down here is the short transition between turn 7 and 8, before you hit the rear straight. Legend has it there used to be a gas station there before the track was built. What I know is true is when the water table is high there is a slippery place in the middle of the transition, folks say it is because oil is being pushed up through the asphalt surface of the track. Once you know it is there, it's not that big a deal, just odd the first time I hit it at speed. There is a strip about 10 feet wide which is slick, then perfect traction once you clear it, just a matter of keeping your foot in it...

titaniumdave said:
There is a strip about 10 feet wide which is slick, then perfect traction once you clear it, just a matter of keeping your foot in it...

I'd argue that the best approach to this corner is to stay tight to track-right once you clear the apex of T7 so that you can get all your turning done BEFORE you drive across that particular patch of pavement and then it's just a matter of keeping your foot in it... :smile:

Depends on where the cones are in the Porsche bumps(turn 8)...or come out for the Lotus of Portland day October 18th, and there may not be any cones:wink: , drive the racing line if you wish!!!!:biggrin:

Thanks for the quick responses and sorry for the delay. Sounds like there are tracks and folks that go.

Do you guys run year around? I currently live in Colorado and believe it or not we do. Some of my best days were in Dec when one of the local tracks offered free days to regulars the last part of the month. This was obviously weather driven. Do you guys run in the rain? We are blessed with an awful lot of sunny days that make the snow disappear and rain evaporate quickly. My track tires are Toyo RA1's. I've never run them in the rain.

Is the local Vancouver/Portland chapter very active? Is it more social or track oriented?

Cal

Hi again,
Well we track most of the year, I like RA-1 full tread depth for an early season tire, they are very good in the rain.

The local NSX club is kind of weak here, a couple of social events a year, but we have quite a good track community. Many events and lots of track to play on, the Seattle community is a bit larger. We are always interested in getting more members, I would love to see more cars at the track too. Some new energy would be great!

Let me know when you get here!

Dave

Thanks for the info. This may take a while (selling here and buying something out there.) We really like Battleground, WA just outside of Vancouver and hope to have this done by next summer.

Cal
red/blk 126kmiles

Well the deal is done! (barring a last minute backing out by the buyer) Should be out there by the end of Dec.

So exactly how many tracks do we have? I read a tread about possible closure of PIR. Our Colorado equivalent was (amazingly similar name) PPIR for Pikes Peak International Raceway, closed earlier this year along with most of the local tracks. Denver folks have to travel 2+ hours one way for a track fix! I’ll be in Battleground, WA; how far is PIR or any other track?

Cal
91 rd/b/k 127kmiles

Cal said:
Well the deal is done! (barring a last minute backing out by the buyer) Should be out there by the end of Dec.

So exactly how many tracks do we have? I read a tread about possible closure of PIR. Our Colorado equivalent was (amazingly similar name) PPIR for Pikes Peak International Raceway, closed earlier this year along with most of the local tracks. Denver folks have to travel 2+ hours one way for a track fix! I’ll be in Battleground, WA; how far is PIR or any other track?

Cal
91 rd/b/k 127kmiles

Awesome.

There is a web site, www.friendsofpir.com so please sign up.

2:15-3:45 to Seattle, About 5-6 hours to Spokane Raceway park.

Outside of that there is a half a day on I5 North to Mission in Canada, or the longer haul, I5 South to Northern Cal.

Just as an FYI, PIR should be pretty safe for a few years to come. I just got a notice they will be closing the track early in 2007 to repave it, that wouldn't be happening if the closing was impending!

NSXPO 2008 in Portland!

Drop me a PM when you get here, would be good to welcome you to the area!

Plan for paving is to start in September, so plenty of time to come down and sample the pavement:biggrin:

Back