• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Traffic at Laguna Seca for ALMS

I haven't been to a race at Laguna Seca since an Indy Car race before Fort Ord closed. I swore I would never go back after spending four hours to get in and another four to get out.

However, many years later, here we are.

For the locals or anyone who attends events at Laguna Seca, what can be expected as far as getting to/from the track? How well attended is this particular race?

Thanks,
Sulley

Traffic respective to getting to/from the track depends on where you are coming from and if you are driving in daily. I see you are from Merced. If you drive in each day, expect to run into traffic.

Race weekend = bad traffic. Weather should be nice in the area = more tourists = more traffic. Most of us are staying w/in a few miles of the track, but traffic is one of those things to be expected. Some of us are going down on Thursday and coming back Sunday to avoid most of the weekend traffic.

I am staying downtown.

What I remember is that Hwy 68 was the only access, since the Army wouldn't allow entry from their side. I see from the parking map that we need to come out 68 and in the main entrance.

So, I would expect that Friday won't be too bad and race day will take 2-3 hours to get from downtown to the parking area. That sound about right?

Sulley

I didn't really think about the traffic until I saw this post. I'm not staying very close by...in Morgan Hill. How long should it take from there? Which times of day are the worst?

The parking pass indicates that they can't guarantee parking if you get to Laguna Seca after 10:00am. What time would you folks suggest leaving to have a fair shot at getting in by then? (I hope that doesn't mean 6am!)

I am staying downtown.

What I remember is that Hwy 68 was the only access, since the Army wouldn't allow entry from their side. I see from the parking map that we need to come out 68 and in the main entrance.

So, I would expect that Friday won't be too bad and race day will take 2-3 hours to get from downtown to the parking area. That sound about right?

Sulley

HWY 68 is not the only way to get into Laguna Seca. You can enter off Canyon Del Rey which does goe thru old Fort Ord {should have signs posted}or off Reservation Rd. I wouldn't worry about traffic on Friday and I would suspect if you get there by 8 am on Sat you should beat all the traffic.

I didn't really think about the traffic until I saw this post. I'm not staying very close by...in Morgan Hill. How long should it take from there? Which times of day are the worst?

On Saturday morning, you will have no traffic issues from Morgan Hill to Laguna Seca. Friday night will be a different story.

Being conservative, I would say give yourself 45 min. for the trip... but it can probably be done in 30 on a Saturday morning.

My advise is to make sure you get here safely. Either come down the night before or leave home a couple hours earlier that planned. From S.J. it takes me 1hour & 15mins to get to Monterey in my Yukon XL with a family of 4. Your NSX should take about an 1 hour. If your coming from S.F. add 30-45 mins. Sac town 2.5-3 hours.

Friday afternoon after 4pm-7pm will be the worst traffic all week on the 101. On Hwy 68 expect some slow traffic to stop and go during this time as well.

Saturday/Sunday morning all freeways should be clear and quick until you get to Hwy68.

The parking pass indicates that they can't guarantee parking if you get to Laguna Seca after 10:00am. What time would you folks suggest leaving to have a fair shot at getting in by then? (I hope that doesn't mean 6am!)

Aren't you taking the Zanardi? Parking is guaranteed in the corral. :confused:

If your in the San Jose region, 7-730am should be good. You just might be waiting in a long line when you hit Hwy 68. If you don't mind. At least get their by 9am.

Aren't you taking the Zanardi? Parking is guaranteed in the corral. :confused:

Hi Ken, hope you've been well. Yes, I am taking the Z, but the parking pass that came with the tickets specifically states that "After 10:00am parking in the designated lots cannot be guaranteed." Don't know if that's a generic blurb and doesn't apply in this case, but I'd hate to be wrong about it!

I'll probably leave around 8:00 and hope for the best...

--twc

Hi Ken, hope you've been well. Yes, I am taking the Z, but the parking pass that came with the tickets specifically states that "After 10:00am parking in the designated lots cannot be guaranteed." Don't know if that's a generic blurb and doesn't apply in this case, but I'd hate to be wrong about it!

I'll probably leave around 8:00 and hope for the best...

--twc

The 10:00 blurb on the parking pass is generic. We should have
guaranteed spaces for 110 cars, unless people start to take up too much space beetween cars. We will have parking marshals in the lot to make sure they are parked correctly.
Tom

The 10:00 blurb on the parking pass is generic. We should have
guaranteed spaces for 110 cars, unless people start to take up too much space beetween cars. We will have parking marshals in the lot to make sure they are parked correctly.
Tom

Thank you for the clarification. No rush for me to get there so early.

Thank you for the clarification. No rush for me to get there so early.

Just don't be late and miss the 10:00am mandatory drivers meeting for the parade lap. If you are not present at the meeting find a good spot on the guard rail to watch everyone else have fun. :frown:

Tom

Last edited:
Hi Tom,
I received the tickets today, thanks! I was just wondering if I am going to be able to participate in the lap. If not, then I understand.

Just don't be late and miss the 10:00am mandatory drivers meeting for the parade lap. If you are not present at the find a good spot on the guard rail to watch everyone else have fun. :frown:

Tom
No, our plan was to leave early anyway. We'll be there before 9:00am.
BTW: I'm also off on Friday, so if you still need assistance at the corral, let me know. I just have to drop the kids off of school at 8am. I live just 20 mins away from Laguna Seca.

Back