• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Trans Noise?

Trans Noise?

Perhaps I can provide a sense of a noise that has been bothering me for quite some time and someone can help me with it.
When ideling and stationary, in neutral, I hear a rotating type of grinding type noise coming from what I assume to be the transmission. If I push in the clutch it immediately goes away until I release the pedal.
Additionally when driving I hear a rotating rythmic noise which seems to come from the trans, perhaps the differential area. this noise has slowly progressed louder over the last year.
The car shifts fine and very smooth, no clutch slip, though I do have a bit of chatter at launch.
I've had both rear wheel bearings replaced, both inner & outer c.v joints replaced. I maintain the car meticlously exceeding MFG specs. and two reputable shops just scratch their heads, Neillo Acura made a statement on a recent oil change that I have a "noisey transmision, but it's nothing to worry about".
I'd sure appreciate any suggestions.
I am curious if changing the Trans oil to the stuff we have recently seen on another thread is at least a temp fix?
Thanks
Jim

Re: Trans Noise?

I have a 92 and do hear that noise while driving it on first and second gear at low speed (around 10 to 15 mph) and seems to go away once the speed picks up. As for idling in neutral, I can hear some noise that would go away once the clutch is pressed, but i would not classify it as grinding noise.

My car drives well also and I think it is probably normal.

Hi Jim,

I think Neillo is giving you sage advice. The grinding sound when you are off the pedal is the throw out bearing, not a big deal.

I would suggest the other noise is just gear lash, maybe the signs of a bearing being a little tired, and also not a big deal, IMO.

Chatter is due to age, not a big deal either, if it is tolerable. Mine does all yours does, and I have learned to release the clutch to almost eliminate the chatter, all accept going directly backward out of my steep driveway.

The new craze does seem to be this FM trans oil, but I do not see that relieving any of your symptoms. It does seem to help with slightly worn syncros, since it must provide an additional friction coeficient for those moving parts. Have not tried it myself yet though:).

HTH,
LarryB

Thanks Larry
I too have learned to beat the chatter, but I am obsessed with the noise. I guess I'll just wait for 'new clutch time' and decide how to deal with it from there. Unless something breaks in the meantime :eek:

Rgds
Jim

Back