• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Transmission fluid residue found, leak or not leak?

Hi,

While I was under the engine bay to change the oil today, I found a black deposit (dirty accumulation with transmission fluid I assumed) on the other end of the oil pan. I wiped it off and I did not smell it to know what was. Is it normal to have trasmission fluid residue ( no drip was found on the floor) around that area or should it be completely dry around the area?

If so, how much will it be take the whole thing out and re-seal it?

Not entirely sure what area you're talking about, but it should be completely dry under there.

I located the oil leak, not dripping on the floor. There two cables coming from the front of the car into the engine, probably clutch cables:confused:. The oil accumulated around that area. Can anyone tell me what they are and what need to be done? Thank you

If you're talking about a whitish/greyish plastic cover with two black cables going into it, then yes, that is the shift cables running to the shifter and gearbox.

If oil is covering the plastic cover and coming between it and the transmission, then I'd say the seal(s) on the shift lever(s) on the underside of the gearbox (under the plastic cover), are leaking.

You can take the cover off with a 10mm deep socket. I believe there are four 10mm bolts holding that cover on. Take it off, and take a peek ;)

If you're talking about a whitish/greyish plastic cover with two black cables going into it, then yes, that is the shift cables running to the shifter and gearbox.

If oil is covering the plastic cover and coming between it and the transmission, then I'd say the seal(s) on the shift lever(s) on the underside of the gearbox (under the plastic cover), are leaking.

You can take the cover off with a 10mm deep socket. I believe there are four 10mm bolts holding that cover on. Take it off, and take a peek ;)

Many thanks.

It could be your slave cylinder leaking down from just above there.
Check out your clutch fluid level up front, its the small one. The big one is your brakes fluid.
My two cents.
Please take pics and post.
I can't believe no one post many pics here.
Its free and really helps on figuring things out.
Trev

It could be your slave cylinder leaking down from just above there.
Check out your clutch fluid level up front, its the small one. The big one is your brakes fluid.
My two cents.
Please take pics and post.
I can't believe no one post many pics here.
Its free and really helps on figuring things out.
Trev

I don't think the clutch reservoir or the slave cylinder, it is full. Here are the pix. These pix after I greased off the area. Oh, I can see better after looking at the pix . The lines are cracking at the ends.

Last edited:
Those lines are cables and have on liquid in them.
You can take off that Grey Plastic cover easily with the 10mm bolts I think they are.
The slave is back behind and above those cables.
If its not leaking then take of the plastic cover and see what is dripping down from the bottom of the trans at that point.
Perhaps you are leaking down past the shift lever shafts, and that is running onto the cables and out by your grommets.

Maybe clean everything up, drive and inspect after a day or days.

Trev

To find oil leaks always look up:). Sure looks like VC gaskets or Spool Valve seals to me. Find the highest point that is wet with oil, that will most likely be your leak.

HTH,
LarryB

I once sat by a tree.......and an apple fell on my head......wonder if that is kind of the same thing?
I should write a book about it.
Trev

Nope! No, there is NOT!
But if you take out the upper plug or fill bolt, then you can see or feel if you fluid is to the top of this.
If it leaks out, then you have too much!
The measurement of 2.7litres is pretty exact!
Trev

Last edited:
The filler bolt for the Manual transmission is it the one with the Square slot for the socket or is it the 14 mm one that has the washer on it ? i was looking at the owners manual and didnt know which one it was. i pressumed the one with the sqaure socket was the drain bolt for the transmission oil so i didnt touch it. Can someone help with some pictures =D.

This is from a B-series gearbox, but they are essentially in the same location and the bolts are the same.

Driver side of the the car, filler is 17mm bolt, drain is simply a square hole for a 3/8" ratchet.

dsc00033.jpg

Enjoy.

I had oil in the same area of my car. It was not the transmission.

Transmission fluid has a pretty distinct smell compared to engine oil. The honda stuff is a little less offensive than full-on gear oil, but it still stinks a bit.

My leak was from the oil pressure sensor assembly which is attached to the front head and located directly above the area you are talking about. Incidentally, as Larry mentioned, the front spool valve assembly is located in the same area. Both can leak, drip down, and run underneath that area.

I suppose you could also include cam plugs and the valve cover casket in the list of suspects, those you can see from above and should be able to see if they are leaking. If you are under the car, looking up, you can see the bottom of the oil pressure sensor assembly and the bottom of the spool valve assembly (will be just above the oil pressure assy.).

If you have limber joints, you can take some cleaner (simple green, etc) on a rag and clean everything off as much as possible, then go for a drive, come back and get back under the car after it cools off to see where the new runs are forming.

Back