• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

transmission oil change

What the heck, I'll chime in with my $0.02. I did a fair amount of reseach before selecting a synthetic MTF for changing my transaxle oil. I ended up selecting Redline. Better than the Honda OEM stuff or not? Who knows. Lots of track guys swear by it, so that was my deciding factor.

One thing you may consider buying is a magnetic drain plug. I did enough research on that item to make sure it was not a bogus "bling" item. For a modest cost, you can get a set for both the gear oil and motor oil drain plugs as I did. For $20 I figured it was worth the added protection.

PS. The fill plug can and does get stuck if overtightened, so allow a little time for that. The access is a bit tricky as well. I jacked up my car as much as I dared to allow for the needed space to put use my big socket bar. I also changed the fill bolt as the old one had worn edges from prior difficulty in removing it and/or from careless mechanics.

I switched from Redline to white cap Honda fluid and it shifts smooth as silk. It also used to get stuck in gear at the light w/ the old fluid. It hasn't happened w/ the Honda stuff. Let us know how the tranny feels.

Jeff

I switched from Honda OEM (factory) fill to Honda whitecap at 3 years / 12k miles and found it to shift smoother.

Don't shoot me for this, but I have heard people having mixed results with Redline. They are good in high stress/heat conditions, but may not be as good in more everyday conditions for longer periods of time - the oil can slush up a bit.

I try to replace mine every 7K miles or so.....with the Acura White Cap. I'm sure it's superfluous, but what the hell.

Last edited:
Don't shoot me for this, but I have heard people having mixed results with Redline. They are good in high stress/heat conditions, but may not be as good in more everyday conditions for longer periods of time - the oil can slush up a bit.

I try to replace mine every 7K miles or so.....with the Acura White Cap. I'm sure it's superfluous, but what the hell.

I leave my gun for other auto forums. Just joking. One guy said his car occasionally got stuck in gear while waiting at a stop light. That recently happened to me (I switched to Redline when I bought my car last September). I HATE when that happens. It could lead to someone running into your rear.

Is the Honda "white cap" a non-synthetic oil? Arrrg, maybe I'll switch next time I do a transaxle oil change. Thanks.

I'm curious. So many people swear by the GM modified syncromesh, then others swear by Honda's newer MTF {white cap}. Has any of you mixed the two together? I've read the GM is harder on gear/syncro wear do to lack of lubrication, so what if you combine them!:confused:

I leave my gun for other auto forums. Just joking. One guy said his car occasionally got stuck in gear while waiting at a stop light. That recently happened to me (I switched to Redline when I bought my car last September). I HATE when that happens. It could lead to someone running into your rear.

Is the Honda "white cap" a non-synthetic oil? Arrrg, maybe I'll switch next time I do a transaxle oil change. Thanks.

I don't know if it is synthetic or not. Regardless, I will change it more often now that I know that it is not that difficult of a job. That guy was me. Gear would not engage often w/ the Redline. It really was a night and day difference between the 2 fluids. To me, it's a no brainer, I am sold on the white cap Honda stuff. Also, LarryB highly recommends it.:biggrin:

Jeff

I'm curious. So many people swear by the GM modified syncromesh, then others swear by Honda's newer MTF {white cap}. Has any of you mixed the two together? I've read the GM is harder on gear/syncro wear do to lack of lubrication, so what if you combine them!:confused:

+ and + may result in -. :) It's not that the combination of two oils adds the advantages of these up to a super-duper oil. It could also be that they disturb each other. Of course, all oils for the same purpose are mixable.

In general: It's a Honda gearbox for which Honda has created it's own oil. Why using anything other? Why did Honda came up with it's own oil as there are plenty of oil brands out there? Because they found that Hondas like the MTF stuff. We even have a special engine oil for Hondas here in Europe (Honda/Motorex).

It could be marketing, ok, and you pay maybe $20 more for the Honda stuff but you sleep much better having used it. :D $20 for a year better sleeping, wow, that's what I call a bargain! :tongue::)

To the OP's question: Make sure your car is horizontal. You can't overfill the gearbox as you fill it up right to the point it begins to come out of the filler hole again.

Yes, I'm tired of all the oil discussion stuff. :) The most important thing about oil changes is that you do it according to the manual recommendations (or if you want: as frequent as you want). Don't waste your time about different oil brands if Hondas has it's own stuff. Just my 0.02.

Last edited:
I put the GM synchromesh and GM synchromesh friction modified in my tranny over a year ago. I think this was right around the time HONDA came out with their own version of friction modifier (the white cap stuff :wink:).

Putting the GM fluid in Honda transmissions used to be very popular - even the GM parts guy told me he has a lot of Honda customers.

For my next fluid change sometime soon, I'll go back to the new Honda stuff though since they've improved the formula.

Ta-da! This stuff, right? OK, you guys convinced me to switch from Redline to good 'ol Honda product.

08798-9031.jpg

Yes, looks like.

You've mentioned a magnetic oil plug before. The gearbox has already a magnet inside. What do the others think about it? Personally, I think it's not worth it.

I use this one, no problems at all... very smooth shifting..

its black cap, and I got it from the Acura dealer directly.

Just changed to the Honda "white cap" MTF and the tranny shifts much smoother. My car's tranny was rebuilt with JDM short gears at 70K and I don't know what fluid was used then and my guess is that it hasn't been changed since then either. Didn't have to jack up the car and used the funnel and tube method for refill. Very easy DIY! Highly recommend the Honda white cap MTF!

How often should it be changed and should I just get the oil straight from Acura?

Not a bad idea, they or you can see other leaks or problems raised up in the air at the dealer...:cool:

Quick questions, is the oem honda MTF at the same caliber as the honda white cap MTF? I'm about to change my transmission oil but the honda dealership here (Germany) only have regular MTF. Does anyone know if there is an equivalent or where to find the honda white cap oil here in Europe? Just want the best for her. Thanks.

taking off the filler first is great advice.

i live life on the edge. i take off the drain plug first :biggrin:

Years ago when I worked in a lube shop, you get used to doing so many tranny flushes you don't think about it anymore until you get a 15 year old import with a seized filler hole.... pumping MTF into a drain hole ruins your day.
Luckily the big 17 - 24mm fill bolts on most cars never seize.

i would also pull the tranny filter/screen out (manual tranny) and clean it while your there. just to make sure there is not any excess metal flakes. real easy

wait.. what? Where is this filter screen? You sure you're not thinking of an auto? or the magnet?

wait.. what? Where is this filter screen? You sure you're not thinking of an auto? or the magnet?

Pull the filter/screen cover, the magnet is in the bottom of the cavity the screen is in. When you pull the screen out, you can reach in with your finger and wipe the magnet off.

In reviewing the noted instructions, it says to drive car around to get oil hot...

My question is:

My car has been sitting all winter in heated garage, not driven obviously...is is better for me to drive it to warm up the oil, just for the sake of changing it?...

OR, since its been sitting for 7 months, and presumably the oil is all sitting somewhat settled in the bottom now , is it best to drain it right now and hopefully get all contaminents to drain out with it? (all as settled over winter)

My thought is that if there are any contaminents dripping off from inside of tranny over winter, this would be the time to change it, rather than simply circulate them all back up into the gears?...but that is just my thought..I really don't know what would be best....opinions from technicians who would know?

( I changed it last summer, to the Honda MTF fluid, but I have heard some good things about Royal Purple, so would like to try it to get a bit more smoothness to the transmission shifts, not so notchy feeling)...

Thanks

Back