• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Transmission Rebuild Kit?

Hi Guys,

One of my good customers finally bought himself a 1992 NSX with 60k miles. Problem is...he bought it sight unseen, and while it's in 9/10 shape, 3rd gear whines upon decel.

We believe it to be either a chipped gear or a pitted needle bearing. My guess is the gear at this point since it only makes noise when unloaded (clutch is unloaded).

I'm having a hard time finding synchros and bearings (along with hard parts such as gears) and was hoping someone here could direct me to where I need to go. I usually rebuild German Automatics and High Performance Mopar transmission so this is only my 2nd Japanese manual I've opened up (other one came out of an R32 Skyline).

Any help is appreciated. Located in North Idaho if it helps.

If anyone here is a vendor of the parts I need, please feel free to call my shop at 208-772-5379

Last edited:
I got my parts for different continents for my gearbox rebuilt, mainly US and Japan, same for the special tools involved (not many needed). While there are discontinued parts in the US parts catalog you still can get them in Japan, might be backordered as well but you can get them at least. I don't understand why Honda US doesn't offer you the parts as well...

The problem is the different gear ratios used in these markets (US long, Japan short). So it can get quite complicated. While the bearings, hub/sleeves, forkes are the same, the gears are not. Maybe someone can confirm.

I think it's best if you ask your customer which gearing his car has (long or short). If the gearbox was never opened in the past he has the long gears. The US long gears are hard to come by in Japan I guess. So you might be forced to use the short gears from Japan which isn't a bad thing actually, just raises costs somehow and depending on how much your good customer is willing to spend.

In the other hand: if your customer wants to stay with the long gearing there should be plenty of 2nd, 3rd, 4th gears around as some of the US people went from the long gears to the short gears.

Is it on snap ring range? If it is, this dial might be the problem and you have to change the upper casing. There are also some low mileage transmission out of snap ring range that he can buy rather than spending 4k +/-500. Short gears are good, they are less than 1k. So yeah, it depends on how much he wants to spend.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Is it on snap ring range? If it is, this dial might be the problem and you have to change the upper casing. There are also some low mileage transmission out of snap ring range that he can buy rather than spending 4k +/-500. Short gears are good, they are less than 1k. So yeah, it depends on how much he wants to spend.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Not 100% sure yet on if it's in the snap ring failure range. I'll know when I go to pull it. If it is, I'll probably shim it if still in good shape. If not, well I guess we will be going another route. There is only 60k miles but then again it is a transmission and anything can happen.

I'm still at least a month out before I can even get to it so I'm just trying to get my ducks in order for parts and sources

Last edited:
does LEVEL10 in n.j. make parts for manual trannys? they make a bulletproof rebuild kit for nsx automatics for $1k

Interesting, I did not know there was an expert transmission rebuild right in NJ. It's actually not too far from Larry.

I have a US transmission in snap ring range as a spare... wondering if I should just use those gears/synchros if I ever decide to do a rebuild? Still undecided as to what I should do with this thing.

I rebuilt my transmission in my 1992 at like 30k-40k it was in snapring range. I replaced all the internals with short gears and new OEM parts when I had it rebuilt. It was over kill, as the parts I had replaced were in very good condition. Shoot me a reasonable offer if you want them. Parts where put back in the original packaging so you know what is what. I can get you more info if your interested like part number and pictures. It's a box of 1992 NSX 5 speed complete internals. I had Larry B do the install a while back and they have been in storage in my garage ever since.

Back