• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

trash bag tint removal

Did a search, and actually had a post that has somehow disappeared, from about 2 years ago, that detailed how to do it.

How do you use a trash bag and something else to remove tint? Going to attempt removal of my rear tint tomorrow, and can't remember. Something to do with a spray bottle full of detergent?
Thanks in advance....

I did this...just soak the window and bag in windex and let it bake in the sun for a while (give it a few hours). Then, peel the tint off and it should not leave any sticky residue behind....it's like magic.

Wal Mart sells window tint removal solution and kits, not very expensive. I have never used it as I do not have any tinted windows.

Cool on both counts. Gonna try the windex thing and if that doesn't work, head to the future owner of america for the other stuff. Thanks for the input Gary, been away from the boards for while, restoring my 944, but Jason Weaver and I drove my X up to VIR a year or so ago to drop off some shocks for your track beast. Enjoyed meeting you, even if you were busy with on-track activities.... :)

tint removal

The trick, as I learned it from a shop, is to place an opened and flattened Hefty bag on the outside of the window you want to remove the tint from, trim it to just the right size, and then carefully cut slices into the tinting film, (may or may not be needed, and be very careful not to cut into your defrosters if you're doing the rear hatch!), soak the hell out of it with Simple Green, and then slap the Hefty bag up against it, and let it soak in the sun for a while. Tucking paper towels up against the bottom of the window will help reduce the run off.

I've done this with good results, and it just turned the adhesive into a soft goo which came right off...

Good luck!
Don

I never tried this removal method but I will this weekend when I remove/retint my friends car. Thanks for the info :)

Re: tint removal

DonDavis said:
The trick, . . . reduce the run off.

I've done this with good results, and it just turned the adhesive into a soft goo which came right off...

Good luck!
Don

Thanks Don, I will try this too. I have a car that needs its tint removed and it bugs the heck out of me! Been looking for a good way to handle it (read: inexpensive). When you refer to leaving the garbage bag up for "a while", how long is that about?

Kevin

Veleno said:
I never tried this removal method but I will this weekend when I remove/retint my friends car. Thanks for the info :)

I just did the hatch window and it was very painful. I used both windex, simple green and trash bags. It must have taken me 12 hours!!! I was able to peel off somf of the tint, but only the clear layer came off. The tint part was still on the window :mad:

There are two layers on the tint. The clear and the actual tint!!! I found using the hair dryer on high setting help while I was peeling off small piece at a time. The is quite a few spots that I had to use razor blade to scrap off.....

My tint was very old (5 + yrs). It may be easier if the tint is newer....

good luck.;)

Back