• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Trickle Down Theory F1>>>NSX

Hey Folks, my Dad told me today that the BAR F1\Honda guys say next seasons F1 engine is a 3 litre V10, 1000HP. That is pretty neat, a lot of people think its amazing that a Viper has a 500HP 8 litre V10, I think a 3 litre 1000HP V10 is more amazing even though its of course not a production motor. Hopefully some of this technology will trickle down to the next NSX engine.

A lot of the older f1 tech has filtered down to production sports cars already (e.g ABS, and advanced traction/stability control systems etc). Most of the tech that filters down to production vehicles are logic/software based such as launch control.

Most of the physical attributes of an F1 engine will unlikely make it to a driveable sports car such as an NSX because they make an engine very unreliable. F1 engines are designed to last only the length of the race.

Seriously impressive numbers though if they can make that happen. Thanks for the info.

flight said:
A lot of the older f1 tech has filtered down to production sports cars already (e.g ABS, and advanced traction/stability control systems etc). Most of the tech that filters down to production vehicles are logic/software based such as launch control.

Just look at the new BMW M5... A high reving V10 with a 7 speed SMG transmission with too many more goods to list. Theres quite a bit of the engine techonology and other techonology falling down the cracks from F1 to production :D

flight said:

Most of the physical attributes of an F1 engine will unlikely make it to a driveable sports car such as an NSX because they make an engine very unreliable. F1 engines are designed to last only the length of the race.

Seriously impressive numbers though if they can make that happen. Thanks for the info.
sadly thats goin to change in f1 dropping down to 500hp v8's and one engine must last 2 races including qualifying and practice

Kroger said:
Just look at the new BMW M5... A high reving V10 with a 7 speed SMG transmission with too many more goods to list. Theres quite a bit of the engine techonology and other techonology falling down the cracks from F1 to production :D

Point noted :) There is still a hefty premium for that kind of technology (100K plus I am guessing) - looks damn good on paper though. BMW are not known for their reliability too. You stuff that many goodies into a production vehicle then there are bound to be hiccups I guess.

This car fits outside the "most" I mentioned :p

Back