• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Trouble starting intermittently, clutch switch suspect

I'm hoping this might be a common problem with an easy fix...

Lately trying to start the engine nets me a click, like a clicking of a solenoid but no turning of the starter or engine. If I stab the clutch pedal repeatedly, it will eventually crank and fire. Bad clutch switch or something else?

I had a similar issue when I first got my car and turns out a stupid rubber piece on the clutch pedal broke apart on me.

What confused me was that there's two of these on the clutch pedal. There's one visible at the bottom, and there's one hidden way at the top.

1.JPG

Piece #32, part 46505-SA5-000
http://estore.honda.com/acura/parts...tail.asp?m=1997-nsx-2-nsx-6mt&sn=&b=B++23&dl=

- - - Updated - - -

Also to mention. It's a real PITA to get your hand in there. After hours of cursing, I gave up and brought it to a shop.

The switch that is pressed when the clutch is full up is for the cruise control system. The switch that is depressed with the pedal full down is for starting.

To test if the switch is bad, remove the yellow connector at that back of the Clutch Interlock Switch. At least it was yellow on my 92. This is the connector higher up with two wires coming out of it. Not the lower grey one with 3 wires. Insert a jumper or paper clip into that yellow connector completing the ground from one wire to the other. Start the car. If the car starts, than you either have a bad switch, or that rubber stopper has broken not allowing the momentary switch to complete the circuit.

if its making a clicking noise, its not your clutch switch. Sounds like your starter is going out

Hasn't happened since I replaced the battery with the Shorai from the group buy. Now it starts on the first try every time. Hmmm.

I wouldn't have thought it was a battery issue, seeing as it was intermittent and always eventually started, but there you have it.

Hasn't happened since I replaced the battery with the Shorai from the group buy. Now it starts on the first try every time. Hmmm.

I wouldn't have thought it was a battery issue, seeing as it was intermittent and always eventually started, but there you have it.

That's awesome!

So the problem slowly crept back since I said it went away with the new battery..

This morning it was the worst it's been. I must have tried to start it 50 times with just a clicking of solenoids and the occasional momentary turning of the starter. I had to get a push start and then it fired and drove without issue.

Also, the loud whining (sounds like EMI) through the stereo is a little suspect.

Thoughts?

- - - Updated - - -

Possibly valuable info: the car spent the night outside last night, and then wouldn't start. Usually fewer than 10 attempts nets a start. Seems the temp or the dew might have played a part. Maybe it's the starter? (Like Joseph said)

when mine clicked but didn't start,it was my starter going bad

Free space: I hear the fuel pump priming when the key's on II and hear the solenoid clicking when I go to start. Is that consistent with a main relay issue?

when mine clicked but didn't start,it was my starter going bad

So the problem slowly crept back since I said it went away with the new battery..

This morning it was the worst it's been. I must have tried to start it 50 times with just a clicking of solenoids and the occasional momentary turning of the starter. I had to get a push start and then it fired and drove without issue.

Thoughts?

- - - Updated - - -

Possibly valuable info: the car spent the night outside last night, and then wouldn't start. Usually fewer than 10 attempts nets a start. Seems the temp or the dew might have played a part. Maybe it's the starter? (Like Joseph said)

My problem was like yours, but would take about 4-5 clicks before it turns over.
(ruled out clutch switch, new battery, main relay, and ignition switch)

I bought a starter rebuilt kit (less than $20) and it cranks like a charm!!!

One of the contacts were worn down while the other was still good-this was the one that allowed it to barely turn over.

Must've been the starter. Replaced it with a reman'd Denso and it fires right up. Mildly interesting side note: this starter makes a completely different sound than the old one. It also appears to be a different design though fits the same way.

The old one had lots of welding mess where one of the tabs snapped off somehow and someone just welded it back together.

The electrical noise is still there though. That can't be normal. Sounds like EMI, comes through the stereo, rises with RPM. Coils and ignitor are new.

Back