• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

True Exotic

"The next owner can register this car and legally drive it up to 2500 miles per year. "

Whats up with that? When I spend $150k+ on a car, no-body is going to tell me I can only drive it a couple of miles a year. Amazing car, but they can keep it for that reason alone.

dnicho05 said:
"The next owner can register this car and legally drive it up to 2500 miles per year. "

Whats up with that? When I spend $150k+ on a car, no-body is going to tell me I can only drive it a couple of miles a year. Amazing car, but they can keep it for that reason alone.

If it wasn't for such legislation, the XJ 220 would not be in the US at all.

Show and Display allows for the importation of cars like the XJ 220, 959, etc., that would not otherwise be let in. That is why these cars are finally starting to come to the US.

Oh yah, I forgot about those import laws. I was thinking they were taling about some contractual thing between Jag and the owner not to drive the car more than 2500 miles a year.

Those import laws are so senseless. People that collect those types of cars usually have several different ones anyway. So whats the difference between a collector driving one high smog car 12 thousand miles a year, or driving 5 high smog cars a combined total of 12 thousand miles a year. The same amount of smog is reased and the law proves itself pointless.

I would also tend to believe that legislation like that would only encourage people to disconnect their odometers or find other ways around the law. Either let a car in or don't, because if its in the U.S. and someone wants to drive it, that law is not going to stop them.

Sorry,
Just my $.02

Always a fan of XJ220. Its so damn rare and sleek. Except for the interior, looks like a damn rental car. :D

I would never own one but I think it's a great looking car. A little long but otherwise exotic. I remember when I was a kid, I would always see it in one of my exotic car calanders. I actually have seen one in Tucson driving around a lot. Not sure who owns it but he seems to like to drive it :)

It is a great looking car IMO. The interior looked pretty good back in the day, but it is way off supercars of today. The Zonda for example...

It does have supercar performance though.

There was a great review of it on Top Gear.

Most of the negatives I have read with the XJ220 involve the engine. I have heard the sound of the turbo six compared to a washing machine.

I have an XJ220 and drive it all the time, as many miles a year as I want... in my Gran Turismo 2 garage!
(sorry, couldn't resist)

Back