• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Trunk release?

My trunk release just stopped working. Before I breakout the shop manual, tools, meter, etc.---can anyone share what tends to be the common faillure cause and fix? Tks:rolleyes:

1st step...check the fuses. 2nd step...confirm that electrical power reaches the trunk switch, 3rd step...see if power reaches the trunk release button.

Isn't there a valet switch in the glove compartment? That would be the most likely culprit, and the easiest one to check and reset.

I wonder how many new owners have no idea about the vallet key and the trunk defeat and for that matter the T roof lock for the back hatch:wink:

Im not sure what button your talking about. Is it the button on a remote key chain or the one on the door? I had a problem with my remote for a while. The connector near by where the antenna motor is located has a really sucky connection. I ended up taping the connector together with electrical tape. I havent had a problem ever since.

You guys are freakin brilliant!! Fixed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Now it is perfectly possible that i read somewhere or have seen this button before but at 65, i can't remember this morning. Somehow the button on the left side of the glove box was switched off---so push it to on, try the door button and bingo, the trunk latch pops open. Thanks---old huck!! Hehehehe

Please help me with this one Doc!

"the T roof lock for the back hatch"

I wonder how many new owners have no idea about the vallet key and the trunk defeat and for that matter the T roof lock for the back hatch:wink:

if you look at the release lever near the driver's seat that unlocks the back hatch,there is a key slot in it on the side towards the seat.after you store your t-top above the engine,you can lock the lever with the key so someone can't reach in the car,pop the hatch,and get to the top.i don't know what they'd want with it,but it also secures your engine if they can't open the back hatch.

You guys are freakin brilliant!! Fixed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Now it is perfectly possible that i read somewhere or have seen this button before but at 65, i can't remember this morning. Somehow the button on the left side of the glove box was switched off---so push it to on, try the door button and bingo, the trunk latch pops open. Thanks---old huck!! Hehehehe

Got to love it when its an easy fix like that lol.

if you look at the release lever near the driver's seat that unlocks the back hatch,there is a key slot in it on the side towards the seat.after you store your t-top above the engine,you can lock the lever with the key so someone can't reach in the car,pop the hatch,and get to the top.i don't know what they'd want with it,but it also secures your engine if they can't open the back hatch.

exactly ,if you never actualy look at the lever but rather just pull it by feel,you might never see that it accepts a key.

Thanks...

This is very helpful I just bought my 94 NSX last month and it didn't came with a manual. with the search I found this thread and fixed my trunk release problem again thanks again......

Just wanted to say, I still love Prime.

Thought the trunk release had failed on my Japanese model NSX, but it turns out those models also had a valet switch in the glove compartment that I had accidentally switched off.

Fixed :smile:

Back