• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Turbo kit from NSX Modified

Lately there has been an increase in options for forced induction. We are no longer limited to just Comptech, Gruppe M, or Bell turbos.

A fairly good amount of info is available on the BBSC, and Gerry Johnson's turbo has also gotten lots of exposure.

One vendor, though, has maintained an extremely low profile, and I know he's got the goods!

Any owners of Larry Garcia's turbo kit care to share your experiences with the rest of us?!?

Boost-hungry owners want to know...
wink.gif

well, geocities have very small bandwidth limit....man they suck.

[This message has been edited by ak (edited 30 July 2002).]

"Wait and you shall receive"..........

Originally posted by 8000RPM:
Let's see... I posted this yesterday, and so far I've gotten no responses.

I suppose the lack of response indicates that:

1) Larry and his customers want to keep a low profile to avoid the troubles that MB went through with the BBSC in developing a kit in the public eye

2) There aren't enough of these kits installed thus not much feedback on this forum

Oh well.

[This message has been edited by 8000RPM (edited 30 July 2002).]

------------------
acrmotorsports_1681_33419

www.acrmotorsports.com

I've driven one of the NSX with The NSX MOdified turbo kit...it felt real good although I didnt floor it to its full extent. It was running about 5-6 lbs, and felt very jumpy, every little bit of gas the car would surge forward...the owner also told me it was pretty good on terms of reliablity but he didnt drive it very hard himself..

Hi 8000rpm and fellow NSX members,
Chirs Wolf and I are probably the guys who should be answering your questions regarding the turbo kit. I have been running larry's turbo kit on my 93 NSX for 6 months and not a single problem...no overheating, no oil leaks, etc....
This turbo kit was designed by Larry Garcia from NSX modified, and the setup includes a single ceramic coated ball bearing Garret turbo (much like Gerry's turbo, stell braided lines, aftermarket fuel pressure regulator, FMU, new RC injectors (320s or 70s I forgot), air/fuel meter, boost gauge, and Larry's new toy (The split second timing controller!!). Just got this controller installed a month ago and it made so much difference in performance. You can manaully dial in the knobs to retard the timing as desired, and at the same time prevents any premature detonation. I will be putting race gas in soon (100oct) to see if there is any difference in power output. Currently running 6-7psi but capable of 8 lbs with the controller device, and boost kicks in around 3700 and all the way till redline. Larry also ordered me a custom made water-air intercooler fabricated by Speacro and going to redue the pipes (going to be around 2 and 1/2 inch) soon; this should get some more hp out of the car.
I raced a mr2 turbo before with 20lbs of boost and we were pretty dead even, pretty impressive eh? Was also in a 9lbs comptech supercharger before, and wasn't impressed at all? If you guys ever come down, feel free to let me know, will take you guys for rides. Let me know if you guys have more questions regarding the turbo.
JACK

Hi Jack, thanks for the response! I appreciate it. Now you got me really thinking about going this route
wink.gif

Any chance that you will be putting your car up on a dyno?

Thanks again!

i can never get to the geocities links posted here, i always get

The web site you are trying to access has exceeded its allocated data transfer. Visit our help area for more information.
Access to this site will be restored within an hour. Please try again later.

[This message has been edited by robr (edited 31 July 2002).]

I am Chris Wolf, I have a 97 black & tan T with a Larry Turbo on it, the first & only 3.2L Larry Kit. When we first installed it, we have the wastegate clamped shut & RC440 injectors. The car got .8 bar at 3500 RPM, the back got squirrely and the whole thing felt like you threw a rope around a freight train that was going by! Then we switched to RC 310's, and opened the internal wastegate. Then the car was more tame but could still pull real hard. With this setup I stayed even with a 360 Modena without flooring it. Then we put in the TMC1 that Jackson was talking about. This made a BIG difference, the car is REAL snappy & crisp! But last week we decided to get a bit bigger sprayers, so as I write Larry is replacing the 310's with 370's to get a bit more spray going, and maybe close the wastegate a little to get a balance somewhere in between psycho 440's & domesticated 310's ! The car is REAL fun, my girlfreind lives 80 miles away, plus its my daily driver. Never had any problems, just refining the machine\installation to suit my taste & needs.

I recall reading on the geocities page that it is $5k *installed* for the basic kit.

Custom parts such as larger turbos/etc will cost extra...

Is there any option that lowers the parts more into the engine bay, either to fit below the stock cover, or at least not to show through the glass?

I seem to remember that being planned awhile back...

Would love to have it, but, if I were to go forced induction, I would most likely put the engine cover back on.
smile.gif

Chris: Haven't seen you in AGES!!!

8000rpm: the kit is gonna run around 5 grand installed. But if there is a group buy or some sort, it might even cost less!!! If you guys are interested let me find out the price from Larry tommorow on my way home from work. As I know of (correct me if I am wrong), The BBSC costs about 6500 uninstalled, Comptech and Gruppe M for 10K, Bell twin another 10K, then if Larry's kit go for 5K or lower, is this a steal or what??
I am not saying which type of forced induction is better or worse, you really have to see for yourself.
Just another impression I got when I ffirst had my turbo kit on about 6 months ago. Since we did not put a boost gauge on, we really couldn't tell what boost we were running at that time. The car was a total rocket, almost made me crap in my pants!! Later we found out that it was running 12lbs, and had to tune it down a little.
I want to let you guys know. The turbo kits for Sinbad, Chirs, and I can all be called prototype turbo kits. The unique thing I like about Larry's turbo kit is that he designs a "custom/one of a kind" turbo kit for you. Some ppl, like BURBEL, may want the turbo to be stealth and this can be done!! Also some ppl may wonder the setup like mine will have problems with the cops, tell you the turth, haven't recived a single ticket. Cops drive by my car all the time and give me thumbs up. A cop also stopped me to check out my engine bay...he was like, "what the GDSF#@$@ is that"! My conclusion is that, the turbo kit is not for everyone. Some ppl like other ways of forced induction. However for 5 grand or less, you can achieve a daily drivable car that does not lack in power, along with your on custom turbo kit.
Hope this helps guys....
JACK

im posting for a friend Pouya with an MR2:

Saying that you beat a MR2 running 20 pounds of boost, doesn't really give us an idea of how much power the NSX is putting down, because the power level at 20 pounds of boost varies greatly depending on what turbo the Mr2 had. Would youb happen to know what turbo the Mr2 was using? If the Mr2 was boosting 20 pounds on the stock CT26 turbo (which is ineffcient at boost over 16 pounds and the turbine stage is restricted to about 260rwhp) then tying that Mr2 would be bad news! Even with the typical T3/T4 and up to the most popular turbo upgrade by GReddy (TD06), 20 pounds of boost on a mildly modified Mr2 would be good for lower half of 300s to the wheel. 20 pounds would be impressive if the Mr2 had a T67, T78, GT3037, or any turbo of that size or larger. Seeing that most Mr2 owners are too concerned with lag to bite the bullet and go with something larger than the 20g turbo, I would love to find out what turbo this Mr2 was running, so I can get an idea of how much power the NSX is putting down. By the way, I did get a ride in Gerry's NSX and it felt good enough to run high 11s.

[This message has been edited by M5150 (edited 01 August 2002).]

[This message has been edited by M5150 (edited 01 August 2002).]

Originally posted by M5150:
By the way, I did get a ride in Gerry's NSX and it felt good enough to run high 11s.

He did run high 11's on street tires. The car is probably a low 11/high 10s car with better traction out of the hole.

To M5150:
Sorry I wasn't able to have a chat with the onwer afterwards, so I really couldn't find out the details about his car. As I have said, it was just a short encounter, and afterwards, I rolled down the window to exchange greetings and gave each other thumbs up. FYI, that was before I had the cutsom split second timing controller installed and tuning done. The car runs much smoother now.
Some of those mr2s are no joke. I have seen ones putting down 330 rhwp easily, and plus the weight distributiion, those things can really fly. Next timeif I bump to him again, I will sure pull him over for a chat!! Oh BTW, met him on Culver heading towards the 5N fwy from UCI.

Indeed, those MR2's properly modified can really haul. I was out with my friend Mani and his Supra and he brought along two of his friends with MR2's. They were both modded out. A red one and a almost baby-blue type color one. We were on the freeway and we all took off. Even at WOT, I felt like I was almost standing still. Granted my car was completely stock but still. Very impressive.

Since the NSX Modified turbo kit is custom built, I assume it's not CARB legal. So how do you go about getting your smog done? Am I just naive to the world of boost and how you go about adding 100 hp to your car legally? I know some of the supercharger kits are CARB legal, but they're also pretty expensive.

Alan

------------------
Alan Peltier
Operations Manager
HRE Performance Wheels
[email protected]

'94 black/black NSX
HID - Autolamps
Wheels - HRE 448Rs - 18x8, 19x10
Tires - Pirelli PZero Rossos
Springs - Eibach ProKits
Shocks - Bilstein