• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Tyres available in Australia

Happy New Year All

I'm interested to know what tyres are y'all using & what's available?
For the daily drive I've been using Bridgestone RE040 & RE050 depending on availability. The garage queen has Dunlop Direzza DZ101. I've been recommended Continental's by a tyre dealer. The NSXwiki rates the Goodyear Eagle F1 GS D3 highly. He does not recommend due to noise.

Interested to get your comments.:smile:

P.S. At one time, I had Sumitomo's on the rear, Potenza's on the front. Handled like a bucket of sh_t.

Last edited:
Happy New Year All

The NSXwiki rates the Goodyear Eagle F1 GS D3 highly. He does not recommend due to noise.

Interested to get your comments.:smile:

Hi Paul

I have used the Goodyear Eagle F1 GS D3 on the NSX, also my old MR2 and even a VW New Beetle. In my opinion it has very low road noise, in every case when these have been fitted road noise has been reduced. Stopping distance comparisons I have seen rate this tyre well in the dry but extremely well in the wet - the tread pattern looks like the old Formula One full-wet / "monsoon" tyres.

It's also reasonably priced and I have no complaints about tyre wear so it's my choice for everyday use on the roads. I do not have track experience. Hope this helps.

John

Hey Paul, last year on the NSX I ran Goodyears on the back and OEM tyres on the front with no problems, but I drive like a grandma.

For anything exploring the limits of traction, including taking evasive action, I would think that tyre consistency all round is probably a big help for maintaining control.

I've got two sets of wheels / tyres, depending on my mood :cool::

1) Work Emotion CR-Kai 17/18 with Kumho ECSTA (KU31 from memory). Great street tyre for the money.

2) Rays CE-28N 17/17 with Kumho V70A semi-slicks. Excellent tyre for tarmac rally or track.

Hi Sparky

what tyre size's are you running front and rear on the 17/17 Kumho V70A set up.

I am currently using Falken RT 615 semi slicks How do the Kumho's compare the Falkens?

Regards
Simon95

Simon

What did you pay for the Falkens? What sizes? Who from?

For the Kumho's the ideal sizes are F 215/40/17 and rear 255/40/17, as this maintains the 5% rolling diameter difference front/rear required by the traction control system.

The rears are perfect but there is an issue on the fronts. I have been unable to get the 215's so am considering 205/40/17. Although the 205 weight rating is 83 whereas the Honda spec is 85, this doesn't apply on a track. And any bigger than 215/40 on the front's will rub the guards (I tried an old 225/45 - no good).

I'm not familiar with the Falken Azenis RT165 directly but I have read they are slightly harder compound. Good for longevity, but not quite the grip.

I have found the Kumho's exceptional, in wet and dry.

I can get the right sizes in Bridgestone RE55S, but I already own the rears (from a different car altogether). But if anyone knows of a supplier who can deliver Kumho V70A 215/40/17 I would be very interested !! .

cheers

Last edited:
Hi Sparky

I currently have stock wheels 16/17 set up with 215/45/16 + 245/45/17 Falken RT 615's .You can buy here either the 245/45/17 or 255/40/17 in the Falkens but you can only get the 215/45/16 from the states . Which is where I buy mine from ( Dali Racing ) In the states they are cheap $120-$150 USD each , here they area around $400.00 AUS each for the rears.
I have found the Falken RT 615's quite good on the track and street.

Falken have a 215/40/17 you can buy here and a 255/40/17

I am looking at up grading my brakes. Which means that I have to either go for a 17/17 or 17/18 set up. On there web site (Kumho) list a 215/45/17 this should be OK unless your car is lowered.

Back