• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Ugh!!My wife borrowed the car

My wife took the NSX over to a friend's house and parked it near their neighbors sprinkler. It left clean, and came back with water spots. Now, the spots are not coming out at all. I have tried Maguires Scratch X and vinegar with no luck. Anyone know how to get it out? I am going to try Clay Magic next and I even read that someone used CLR to get out water spots. Anyone used either with success? Does CLR damage your paint?

I know she is sorry and it wasn't really her fault, but she doesn't understand how water could damage a vehicle. I wonder what she would say if I rested my beer can on her Prada Purse. :mad:

simple green is your friend. just make sure you wash and wax after wards to protect your paint.

What's simple green?

It depends on exactly what happened to your finish.

If it is simply water spots - meaning, the beads of water dried on your finish, leaving a residue from the minerals in the water - then either washing it, or at worst, using ScratchX with vinegar, should have removed the spots.

I suspect that what may have happened is similar to "acid rain" damage, where the sun beats down on the beads and gets magnified so that the outline of the beads is actually etched into the finish. If that has happened, you will need something aggressive/abrasive, such as one of the polishing compounds on the market. This is not a job for the faint of heart.

You should be able to tell, by looking closely at the water marks, whether they are merely deposits on the surface of the paint, or actual etching INTO the surface of the paint. Don't start using anything abrasive until you are sure that the latter has actually occurred.

Good luck...

It smells so minty .
It could be worse, I gave my wife the x now I need a new clutch.:(

CLR is also number one for taking the spots off. i vouch on that one.

I avoided all of these problems by marrying a fussy Porsche owner. She grabs the X every chance she gets and loves it. Leaves me to choose between the Integra and the Lotus...easy choice. She actually bought the X for me as a birthday present. I would use a very fine polish on the marks and would stop if they did not come off right away. At that point I would take it to someone comfortable with power polishing. Once I got it back, I would consider Zaino to prevent recurrence.

Last edited:
JPS Europa said:
I avoided all of these problems by marrying a fussy Porsche owner. She grabs the X every chance she gets and loves it. Leaves me to choose between the Integra and the Lotus...easy choice. She actually bought the X for me as a birthday present. I would use a very fine polish on the marks and would stop if they did not come off right away. At that point I would take it to someone comfortable with power polishing. Once I got it back, I would consider Zaino to prevent recurrence.

Porsche, Lotus, NSX....must be difficult times in your family:rolleyes: I guess your only problem is determining how to cart kids around if you have any that is.

I wish my wife loved the NSX. She refers to it as the "Go Kart"...not to worry, I am trying hypnosis on her.

:D

92NSX said:
I think you are the first person I have ever known that didn't know what 'simple green' was. Trust me, you will grow to love this stuff. Works everywhere and does everything !!

Sorry, I am simple cave man...your world frightens and confuses me.:)

I haven't heard any positive comments about clay for water spots. Anyone tried that with or without luck? I will try CLR or Simple Green, but I have a feeling NSXtasy is right on and I will have to use an abrasive polish. I will wait on that.

FYI...the spots look like they have been etched in the paint, the outside shape that is.

Jeff,
The same thing happened to me right after I moved into my new house. Left the car on the driveway one night, and the next morning I had water spots from the sprinkler system. I used tried some glaze but it didn't work.:mad: Sometime in the next week I'm going to strip the finish down with some stuff I got from Detailers Paradise and then polish. Your welcome to bring yours over when I do.

Thanks for the offer. Yes absolutley. Let me know and I will cover some or all of your costs. Thanks.

'It smells so minty .
It could be worse, I gave my wife the x now I need a new clutch.'

Simple Green will not fix that!

:D

I got the water spot out with clay magic. You should use the clay bar before using any chemicals. If the clay doesn't work, test the other stuffs out in a small area before applying it to your entire car.

TAJ

Did you have the water spots or the water spots that have the outside circle etched into the paint as NSXtasy described?

It was both but most were the mineral deposit. If the spot were etched into the paint, I would try using polishing compound. There were couple spot right by the windshield washer spray nozzles that I couldn't remove by using clay bar. If the water spot were deposit, clay bar is your best bet. It could remove deposit that rubbing or polishing compound couldn’t. Anyway, clay bar is not going to hurt your paint, right?

When I used to detail I had really good luck with the Meguiars Clear Coat Body Scrub. (not as harsh as it sounds) I'd give that a try.

Back