• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Unbelievable! 315whp N/A with bolt-ons, stock motor

Duffer said:
Devin Pearce and I talked about a new Comptech Intercooler coming out this summer that supposedly will vastly improve the reliability of it's supercharger(not that it is unreliable right now). ?

I have never heard of that, other than what Ken Sampson is doing. Can you elaborate?

Duffer said:
I would be thrilled if it were any quicker. For being N/A, I am not sure I could expect anything better. Devin Pearce and I talked about a new Comptech Intercooler coming out this summer that supposedly will vastly improve the reliability of it's supercharger(not that it is unreliable right now). If we tackle that later this year, I should be pushing 400+ RWHP and with over 200 lbs of weight reduction, who knows how fast it would be?

I guess you need to go before to get an idea! I have over 250lbs of weight reduction and I know it helps not only at AutoX and Track Events, but also the few times I have gone to the drag strip. The night I ran my 12.66 @ 113 the run before I had a chic in the car and was much slower at 12.9 @ 109. Always nice to use the ladies for R & D!

John McCain Racing said:
I guess you need to go before to get an idea! I have over 250lbs of weight reduction and I know it helps not only at AutoX and Track Events, but also the few times I have gone to the drag strip. The night I ran my 12.66 @ 113 the run before I had a chic in the car and was much slower at 12.9 @ 109. Always nice to use the ladies for R & D!
Does the positon of the lady in the car make a difference in quarter mile times? i.e. on your lap versus in the passenger seat? :)

Duffer said:
Does the positon of the lady in the car make a difference in quarter mile times? i.e. on your lap versus in the passenger seat? :)

Yeah it does! I'm guessing a "In the Lap" run might give me a much slower time or a DNF:)

NetViper said:
I have never heard of that, other than what Ken Sampson is doing. Can you elaborate?
I really don't know much more than what I have already posted. My NSX tech, Devin Pearce at Payn Technologies is much closer to this kind of thing. I am not sure it has been announced, so Comptech may play stupid. Devin knows my concern in adding a SC is reliability(or lack thereof). He believes a Intercooler may help in this area.

Re: One Happy NSX Owner

Duffer said:
I am the lucky owner of the NSX Devin refers to here. I just drove it back from Payn Technologies. What a rush! And I have to say if you live within a couple hundred miles of Troy, MI and you need work done to your NSX, take it to Devin. He is top drawer all the way...

Distance from Fort Wayne, Indiana

Total Est. Time: 3 hours, 28 minutes Total Est. Distance: 212.95 miles

;) :D

Meeyatch1 said:
So, do we know if this is the Car and Driver car??

No, it was silver and a coupe. It MIGHT have been a 98. I will have to look it up. It was blazing though. Fastest stock NSX they ever tested. I want it!!!

NetViper said:
No, it was silver and a coupe. It MIGHT have been a 98. I will have to look it up. It was blazing though. Fastest stock NSX they ever tested. I want it!!!

We need to find that VIN #...hehehe.... :wink:

comptech SC intercooler

I spoke to Shad Huntley per Comptech at the recent JGTC. He mention the intercooler is the works. They have already used the intercooler in the acura cl/tl.

He also mention this would primarily work with the newer blower; produce in the last 2 years. The blower to manifold in the newer blower allows for the mating of the intercooler.

It is basically like the one Ken Sampson is using.

Danny Lai

Re: comptech SC intercooler

gheba_nsx said:
Maybe Honda produces "better" ones to send to Magazines... :p

That's what I'm starting to believe.

The TOV tested a 2004 S2000 as having something like 27 more RWHP than an 03 S2000 yet no one else has miraculously been able to reproduce those numbers.

I think Honda sends ringers with bumped compression for performance tests and such.

My Father supposedly has one of those "freak" cars. The dealership was wondering if it was a different ECU or something as IT WAS a magazine car. It is a 98 Spa Pearl Yellow Coupe (yes, the only real one in the US).

Oh yea...1/4 mile times were 12.87 stock with stock tires and 12.53 with bolt-ons (comptech intake, headers, race pipes, and exhaust) and new tires.

Accord-R said:
My Father supposedly has one of those "freak" cars. The dealership was wondering if it was a different ECU or something as IT WAS a magazine car. It is a 98 Spa Pearl Yellow Coupe (yes, the only real one in the US).

Oh yea...1/4 mile times were 12.87 stock with stock tires and 12.53 with bolt-ons (comptech intake, headers, race pipes, and exhaust) and new tires.

The coupes are lighter than the targas and capable of high 12s stock in 3.2 liter trim. The car is very rare, but I don't know that the quarter mile times indicate a factory freak, just the benefit of the lighter coupe body.

brahtw8 said:
The coupes are lighter than the targas and capable of high 12s stock in 3.2 liter trim. The car is very rare, but I don't know that the quarter mile times indicate a factory freak, just the benefit of the lighter coupe body.

It was a comment from the dealer, the dealer he got the car from is supposedly the "biggest" NSX dealer in the country. But regardless of that claim, the Service Manager is a car freak and he stated of all the NSX's he's driven, this car (meaning my Father's) was a freak. He said it felt significantly faster than other NSXs...including other coupes (they had a white 3.2 liter Coupe for a while). It was suspected that since the car was used for a magazine test it might have been "massaged" a little, maybe they leaned it out a tad or broke it in properly, but something was different. I would like to get it dynoed to see what it puts down though.

Don't expect all hand built motors to be the same, their are differences of course. Ferraris also have this "problem". They can run dead even to spec numbers, or 15hp less to 15hp more. Of course being a mag car mfgtrs will commonly send a bumped up car to be tested just to make it shine a tad more.

Accord-R said:
It was a comment from the dealer, the dealer he got the car from is supposedly the "biggest" NSX dealer in the country. But regardless of that claim, the Service Manager is a car freak and he stated of all the NSX's he's driven, this car (meaning my Father's) was a freak. He said it felt significantly faster than other NSXs...including other coupes (they had a white 3.2 liter Coupe for a while). It was suspected that since the car was used for a magazine test it might have been "massaged" a little, maybe they leaned it out a tad or broke it in properly, but something was different. I would like to get it dynoed to see what it puts down though.

Did he buy his car from Greenwhich Acura?? I always wondered where the magazine cars went. Do you remember how many miles were on it when he got it?? I sure hope it had a new clutch installed from all of those magazine tests. :D

It would be pretty cool to pick up an old issue of Road&Track or Car&Driver and see YOUR CAR on the cover. :)

Meeyatch1 said:
Did he buy his car from Greenwhich Acura?? I always wondered where the magazine cars went. Do you remember how many miles were on it when he got it?? I sure hope it had a new clutch installed from all of those magazine tests. :D

It would be pretty cool to pick up an old issue of Road&Track or Car&Driver and see YOUR CAR on the cover. :)

Yep! Greenwhich Acura! I think it had like 7k on it. The clutch actually was fine on the car...but it has been replaced with a nice Comptech one.

The magazine article is in the FAQ section here.

The beta test box is key. We regularly see 15 hp when just using engine management.

Honda is defiantly not looking for max output, drivability is key and needs to be perfect. It takes relatively little to make substantial differences in HP. I have seen 6+ degrees of variation in cam centerline from bank to bank. Perfect cam timing seems to make on average 7 or 8 RWHP on a stock engine.

Our engines:
With Engine management- Same
OE late model exhaust (Cleaned up ID)- Less
Aftermarket Exhaust- More
With intake mods (Almost all removal of parts)- More
Degreed cams- Eliminating luck/Same
A better valve job- Eliminating luck… added 3% better flow (Potentially 9hp in a 300 hp engine)
Different injectors- Here’s the deal breaker We were 100% duty cycled on the OE injectors when only making 297 hp
(Come to think about it… we weren’t using the late model injectors, I know they are different for OBDII but not sure of the flow)

We see 300-325 at the wheels in a spec 3.2 with slight variations like surfaced heads, exhaust diameter, or cam location.

RacerX-21 said:
The beta test box is key. We regularly see 15 hp when just using engine management.

Honda is defiantly not looking for max output, drivability is key and needs to be perfect. It takes relatively little to make substantial differences in HP. I have seen 6+ degrees of variation in cam centerline from bank to bank. Perfect cam timing seems to make on average 7 or 8 RWHP on a stock engine.

Our engines:
With Engine management- Same
OE late model exhaust (Cleaned up ID)- Less
Aftermarket Exhaust- More
With intake mods (Almost all removal of parts)- More
Degreed cams- Eliminating luck/Same
A better valve job- Eliminating luck… added 3% better flow (Potentially 9hp in a 300 hp engine)
Different injectors- Here’s the deal breaker We were 100% duty cycled on the OE injectors when only making 297 hp
(Come to think about it… we weren’t using the late model injectors, I know they are different for OBDII but not sure of the flow)

We see 300-325 at the wheels in a spec 3.2 with slight variations like surfaced heads, exhaust diameter, or cam location.
the vehicle must have been blueprinted. that would explain the increased HP without mods.

Check the compression ratio.
I have always been surprised that our cars only have a 10.2 : 1 compression ratio. I suspect that if 11 : 1 (or higher) pistons were put in there, the power would go up a lot.
Was that engine ever rebuilt?
The stock cams are also “soft” for this kind of car. Maybe someone put hotter cams in too.
But if these above things were done, the ECU should be remapped which it can’t be. But fuel pressure could be increased (primitive though) to compensate.

While the 284 rwhp seems to be strong, it is not that far out from what can be expected of a relatively well maintained NSX. However, the 206 TQ seems a bit low if the engine is this strong. So perhaps there are some internal mods.

I had my 98-T dynoed two weeks ago - on a Dynapack chassis Dynamometer - before doing the timing belt and the numbers were: 267 rwhp @ 6711 RPM with 81 mph, and 213 TQ at 5732 RPM with 69 mph. Ambient temp in the 70s. Stock except for Cantrell AIS. However this Dynamometer will read higher numbers because it is more efficient; it doesn't run on drums and hence doesn' have parasitic loss from the tires/drum.

After the timing belt change, the numbers were almost identical yet the ambient temp was 20 degrees higher (mid 90s). So 284 rwhp @ 7800 RPM should not be a surprise :wink:

YMMV.

Back