• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Unbelievably poor taste...

While watching the UFC last night, the first live fight comes on and as their announcing the fighters, they show Alan Belcher on his side of the ring and his corner guys are holding a banner behind him with his sponsors. On the top of the banner it says "TardHard.com" :confused: . Knowing that "Tard" is slang for "retard" :mad: , I am curious because I assume it must just be an unfortunate slip, and maybe they didn't know the association with the word. I jump online to check it out and my wife and I were just simply shocked. How somebody could label a product in this manner in the first place is apalling. But then, for a HUGE organization such as the UFC to allow it to be a sponsor for one of their fighters is just completely in poor taste. I am sure I am not the only one who noticed this, so I'm sure the sponsor won't be back in the Octagon. I'm hoping that the UFC didn't know the sponsor or the association... :redface:

fightworld2_1931_12813773

it is unforunate... but at the end of the day... advertisement/sponsors is how they draw revenue.... lets hope they know where to draw the line.

What do you expect from a company who throws big bucks into a website but has the oversight to misspell the opening phrase...

(AVAILIABLE)

Nice...

They'll be gone by UFC 78...

I am one of Alan's sponsors and have never noticed that:redface: He is a stand up guy with good character that loves kids (he runs a day care out of his gym during the day?). I cant imagine him trying to be disgraceful. I'll ask him, but I'm sure that someone from that company probably threw some cash at him at the fight to add their logo on the banner. As for the UFC being in poor taste in general, I guess everyone has their opinions, but it is the fastest growing sport in the world at this time.

As for the UFC being in poor taste in general, I guess everyone has their opinions, but it is the fastest growing sport in the world at this time.

+1... I'm not a fight fan but UFC is a billion times better (and safer) than Boxing.

I agree with you guys though, not only is this add offensive but the sole existence of that company is a disgrace to our society!

To those that made a point of saying that watching the UFC is in bad taste, that was not what the TS was getting at when he started this thread. I'm sure someone here watches Desperate Housewives, you don't see me busting their chops. That being said, 'Tardhard' is in terribly poor taste. Mayhem Miller and his camp have used the expression 'retard strength' before, regardless of the wisdom of using those words it may have something to do with this.

it is unforunate... but at the end of the day... advertisement/sponsors is how they draw revenue.... lets hope they know where to draw the line.

Unfortunately drawing the line is few and far between. Lets face it, businesses are in it to make money, as much as they want to try to walk the straight and narrow, most times, money talks, ethics walk. I am no longer surprised by stuff like this, but unless someone is wiling to do something about it to the company and the people running it, then its "style" of advertising will remain.

Unfortunately drawing the line is few and far between. Lets face it, businesses are in it to make money, as much as they want to try to walk the straight and narrow, most times, money talks, ethics walk. I am no longer surprised by stuff like this, but unless someone is wiling to do something about it to the company and the people running it, then its "style" of advertising will remain.

I completely agree... and while I may come on here and bitch and moan about it and get the word out that this company is a piece of crap, quite honestly I will never sit down and write a letter to the UFC complaining about it. I guess my intention is to bring awareness and through doing so, word will eventually get back to the UFC (or the media) and more than likely we will not see this crap in the ring anymore.

You're absolutely right... money talks and ethics walk. I am not surprised at all that a company such as this exists. After all, earlier this year there was an energy drink in the news called "Cocaine"! I am just surprised at their target audience, and mostly surprised that Zuffa Inc. (The UFC) would allow it (if they knew about it). While I agree that it is completely wrong to make fun of the mentally handicapped, much less profit from it, if that is the route you choose to go you need to pick/choose your audience. And a nationwide multi-million viewer PPV platform for the Fastest rising sport in the world is not one that is going to be receptive to it. Unless, maybe they were just going for the shock factor in hopes that it would make waves in the media such as "Cocaine". If that is the case, then it was poorly executed.

I for one will not support any fighter that condones this crap. I spend a lot of money on Fight apparel, and I also spend plenty of money on fighter t-shirts and such... there is plenty of variety out there, so it would not be hard to switch it up. I would also go as far as to say that I would not watch or pay for a fight where said fighter was on the main card. This is just done in completely poor taste. Our society should not condone this crap, much less on a national platform... :frown:

+1... I'm not a fight fan but UFC is a billion times better (and safer) than Boxing.

I agree with you guys though, not only is this add offensive but the sole existence of that company is a disgrace to our society!

..and a much more complete art. It was also going to evolve into this. Much better than the dodgy karate schools in the eighties. Been a fight fan/fighter since day one.

I completely agree... and while I may come on here and bitch and moan about it and get the word out that this company is a piece of crap, quite honestly I will never sit down and write a letter to the UFC complaining about it. I guess my intention is to bring awareness and through doing so, word will eventually get back to the UFC (or the media) and more than likely we will not see this crap in the ring anymore.

You're absolutely right... money talks and ethics walk. I am not surprised at all that a company such as this exists. After all, earlier this year there was an energy drink in the news called "Cocaine"! I am just surprised at their target audience, and mostly surprised that Zuffa Inc. (The UFC) would allow it (if they knew about it). While I agree that it is completely wrong to make fun of the mentally handicapped, much less profit from it, if that is the route you choose to go you need to pick/choose your audience. And a nationwide multi-million viewer PPV platform for the Fastest rising sport in the world is not one that is going to be receptive to it. Unless, maybe they were just going for the shock factor in hopes that it would make waves in the media such as "Cocaine". If that is the case, then it was poorly executed.

I for one will not support any fighter that condones this crap. I spend a lot of money on Fight apparel, and I also spend plenty of money on fighter t-shirts and such... there is plenty of variety out there, so it would not be hard to switch it up. I would also go as far as to say that I would not watch or pay for a fight where said fighter was on the main card. This is just done in completely poor taste. Our society should not condone this crap, much less on a national platform... :frown:

And there lies the flip side. Money talks both ways. If it's "truly" in bad enough taste (from the general audience's perspective anyways) the $ won't flow to it and it'll rid itself from existence.

Not a perfect system, but in the long run it reflects society's poor taste just as much as it does any individual's or company's.

Back