• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Under dash speaker install?

So I now have my SOS sub enclosure installed. LOTS of major bass.... problem is, I don't think I like that. It drowns out my motor too much and for some reason I need to hear my motor in order to drive it "effectively". So I'm about to sell that sub enclosure that I barely put in and have less than 1 hour play time. What I REALLY wanted was just more volume and definitely more mid bass. I don't want to install anything else in the doors and I already ripped out all the stock sub mount hardware.

I've been so busy lately with school that I don't have the time to pull the car covers off and look in to check but is there enough space above the passenger footwell panel to install a <2" top mount depth 6-1/2" speaker? What I'm talking about is the space between the slotted panel where the key entry box is mounted to the bottom of the glove box.

I know that the direction isn't ideal at all, and acoustics will more than likely suck but it should satisfy my need for a little more sound. I'll probably fabricate some tiny ported enclosure place behind the speaker to gain a bit more mid bass. I'm mainly concerned if there's enough space (gap) there for the speaker or if its gonna hang down 1" because there is only 1" of space there possibly. The speaker mounting depths I'm looking at are about 1-3/4 to 1-13/16" deep, top mount.

I have the ZeToolman V3 in my car and don't like TOO much bass either. I just tuned the system down to my liking by adjusting the amp. I had to really play with it to get where I wanted it.

What's your other main door speakers now?

Can't you just turn the bass knob down?

I'm with you guys, I don't like the constant hard bass. So I just turn the bass knob all the was down. When I hear a song that sounds good with a little more bass, I turn it up. Works for me. :smile:

even with the sub turned down, it really drowns out the motor alot. With just mids and highs, it could be cranked up but I'd still be able to hear the engine in the background.

I mean I LOVE bass, hell I can't get enough in my truck. When it comes to the car though, it kinda kills the experience I get from driving the car. Even though it is neat to pull up to some kids and have it scream out BOOOM BOOOOOOM BOOOOOOM lol.

The thing is, with the sub turned down enough for me to enjoy the car and the music, there is no point in me having the sub. The perfect solution for me would of been to stick with stock, which I can't do because I gutted all the mounts out or add in another set of 6.5" speakers.

The only time I find it nice to have the sub is when I've got the windows down and the cruise control set going down the freeway. Any other time that involves actually shifting really sucks.

I know it's not a "getting old" thing, because I want go from 1 sub, back to 3+ subs in my truck. It's just a "it kills the mood" thing when it comes to the nsx.

door speakers are component set, JL XR650

I ran a set up in my car with the jl audio zr component and it has plenty of midbass , no need for subwoofer...

i am confused at what u really want but here are some ideas to try on.

Take the sub amp, turn the sensitivity all the way down. Take the Lowpass filter and bump it up so the woofer does not play deep bass and set the HP filter so it does not get "buzzy" in the cabin. say between 50hz and 120 hz.

Another Idea is to take the factory sub enclosure and purchase a Focal 5" sub and put it in there for a bit more punch out of the factory enclosure.

When I want to turn the woofer off to hear the motor in my car, i just turn the sub off from the headunit. simple as can be. I don't know what you headunit is, but is that the simple solution?

yeah simple, but losing that footspace bugs me since I've ripped out the oem sub stuff for atleast a year now.

???? Do you have passengers that are bugged? I can't think of why the standard footwell space (which the V3 box provides) would bug a driver....

If more sound but not bass is what you are looking for - as previously noted, just have an aftermarket amp and some good door speakers installed. You'll get MORE sound in the frequency range you seem to desire.

Good luck in your audio quest.

well passenger comfort is an issue to me because I like to take my car out on LONG drives, weekend trips, road trips, etc. I especially like having a companion with me (aka date or gf or tonight's special) and on those drives, I'd like her to be comfy when the ride is already fairly rough with the Tein RE.

As for sound, thank you :) I'm definitely looking into options at the moment.

I would love to go back to stock. The problem is I actually had to tear out ALL the mounts for the oem sub. So it's going to be a tough task getting the oem sub to mount back in even if I could get the mounts also.

Did you save the mounts or throw them away? I kept my mounts and they were easy to set back into the floor board. I did this for a brief time between my V1 toolbox to the V3. I just wanted to recall what the stock foot space was before installing the V3 (which turned out to be just a good or better than stock).

Seriously, I can't understand why you wouldn't just try a V3 solution and turn that volume down. (It will be as good as stock on a 95 NSX)

I just finished an install of my V3 and it fits very nice. The carpet goes back in place stock with no modifications. Space appears to be the same as stock and it is unnoticable. The sound is very nice, & the fit is tight without vibration.

Have to give zetoolman a plug on this one.. It is the best of both worlds.

Lee

Back