• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

"Unique" S2000, how to price...

Osiris_x11

Gold Member, Moderator: Marketplace
Interesting find a friend of mine came across, as she's been in the market for an S2000. There's a two-owner 2001 S2000 Spa Yellow Pearl AP1 w/ ~13k miles. Appears to in excellent condition (unmodded/unmolested w/ clean title/history), no maint'/service other than oil-changes (tire-change due to age). Owner-1 was '01-'09 for ~8k miles, owner-2 was '09-'12 for ~5k miles. Pricing seems to be all-over w/ regards to it.

Listed "Asking" Price: $16k
NadaGuides Price: $13k
KBB Price: $17k
Edmunds Price: $8k

Any idea what would be a fair, market value? I'm not well-versed w/ the S2k realm... :confused:

Interesting find a friend of mine came across, as she's been in the market for an S2000. There's a two-owner 2001 S2000 Spa Yellow Pearl AP1 w/ ~13k miles. Appears to in excellent condition (unmodded/unmolested w/ clean title/history), no maint'/service other than oil-changes (tire-change due to age). Owner-1 was '01-'09 for ~8k miles, owner-2 was '09-'12 for ~5k miles. Pricing seems to be all-over w/ regards to it.

Any idea what would be a fair, market value? I'm not well-versed w/ the S2k realm... :confused:

I've been looking hard at 06-08's recently so I have an idea. $14.5-18k. Personally I wouldn't consider paying more than 15k because you can get a clean car 5 years newer with <50k miles for 18k all day long. AP1's are still special but as we all know 02-03's are the best AP1 years, although 01's are certainly more valuable than 00's.

Stay away from that year. Plastic rear window blows, and bunch of them had synchro problems..

Stay away from that year. Plastic rear window blows, and bunch of them had synchro problems..

lol YUP... the two problems i have. Stupid plastic window and rattly clutch. All said they're not BIG problems though.

That's interesting - I'm about to put my 04 S2000 (with 15k miles) on the market and noticed the same thing on pricing - kinda all over the place. NADA has mine at 19k, Kelly at 20k, and Edmunds at 15k.

I also look at Autotrader to get an idea of similar vehicle asking prices - but the really low mileage ones are pretty rare.

Great cars however - this is my 2nd one, and the only reason I'm selling is that I am in the process of getting a newer NSX. Good luck, Jay

refinement issues, grrr...

I've been looking hard at 06-08's recently so I have an idea. $14.5-18k. Personally I wouldn't consider paying more than 15k because you can get a clean car 5 years newer with <50k miles for 18k all day long. AP1's are still special but as we all know 02-03's are the best AP1 years, although 01's are certainly more valuable than 00's.
Thanks, very insightful & what I was looking to learn!

The zero maint'/service (other than oil-changes) would be my gripe (if, any) considering ~12+ year old vehicle & presumably Texas climate/conditions. It's a 9k+ rpm engine & all. Tho' Honda engine quality & timing-chain make it somewhat digestible. But, other fluids (steering, transmission, brake, etc)... jeez!

I noted some reads on the interwebz about the synchro issues, seems like it made the clutch/transmission user-experience rather un-fulfilling! Also, plastic rear-windows on roadsters has always been a personal gripe of mine!
lol YUP... the two problems i have. Stupid plastic window and rattly clutch. All said they're not BIG problems though.
So, the synchros fail or the engagement/shifting is just rough & unpleasant?

That's interesting - I'm about to put my 04 S2000 (with 15k miles) on the market and noticed the same thing on pricing - kinda all over the place. NADA has mine at 19k, Kelly at 20k, and Edmunds at 15k.

I also look at Autotrader to get an idea of similar vehicle asking prices - but the really low mileage ones are pretty rare.

Great cars however - this is my 2nd one, and the only reason I'm selling is that I am in the process of getting a newer NSX. Good luck, Jay
Hmmm, thanks for the input! Now, a sorted/maintained '04 listed w/ 15k miles for ~$15k seems more palatable, to me!

FWIW KBB seems to have inflated prices, and are mostly used by dealers to advertise "below blue book" prices.

Edmunds seems to be a more realistic price guide, for use by the consumer.

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20080111092251AAyxWtK

http://www.carsdirect.com/used-car-buying/edmunds-used-car-price-guide-vs-kelley-blue-book

http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/direct/view/.f135d9e/0

Good luck.
Great linkies, thanks man! I've relied on NadaGuides over the years, and if able to get access to an updated/current BlackBook I peruse such.

My general protocol has been entering the VIN on the state DOT/DPS site to get an appraised valuation (an interactive database gives a current price, for tax/title use). I follow that by checking NadaGuides, KBB, Edmunds for price ranges. Then, I head over to AutoTrader, Cars.com, ebay, Craigslist, forums/boards, local/regional dealer-sites, auctions, etc. and get a general idea on pricing.

It's good I don't buy cars often, it wears me out! :D

Last edited:
I sold my '06 GPW S2000 w/62,000 miles back in September for $19,500. Interestingly enough I used Carmax to price my car. I saw there were some examples on their website that were comparable to mine and I undercut the price a little bit. There don't seem to be any comparable cars to your example on the site at the moment.

Personally I think $16k for an 01 w/13,000 miles is a great price. If the ragtop gives you too much problem it's $2000 p&l to get a new one with a glass window

Last edited:
faux pas on Honda for this...

I sold my '06 GPW S2000 w/62,000 miles back in September for $19,500. Interestingly enough I used Carmax to price my car. I saw there were some examples on their website that were comparable to mine and I undercut the price a little bit. There don't seem to be any comparable cars to your example on the site at the moment.

Personally I think $16k for an 01 w/13,000 miles is a great price. If the ragtop gives you too much problem it's $2000 p&l to get a new one with a glass window
Oh yea- forgot about CarMax as a pricing resource! Part of my spiel, too... :D

Good to know the price (for the '01 w/ ~13k miles) is seemingly fair.

Regarding the "plastic" rear-window, I wonder how difficult it'd be for a custom shop (boats, RV's, campers/trailers, classic/vintage) to retro-fit a glass or Lexan window into an existing rag'top. I noted the '02+ top w/ glass-window is ~$800'ish for the top alone (no frame, hardware/fasteners, etc)!

... or a double-DIN head'unit w/ a rear-camera shall suffice (heck even a rearview-mirror + rear-camera)! :p

As you know, I had three of them, 01, 06 and 08 CR.

If you're looking at the price point, you should get a AP2 with DBW model, those are the best.

My 01 had some problems with the syncro, Honda covered but had my car for a week. The problem was it wouldn't get into fifth gear and every time I put it in, it will pop out.

Fun car, I will probably get another on after I pay off my Pilot.

for family...

As you know, I had three of them, 01, 06 and 08 CR.

If you're looking at the price point, you should get a AP2 with DBW model, those are the best.

My 01 had some problems with the syncro, Honda covered but had my car for a week. The problem was it wouldn't get into fifth gear and every time I put it in, it will pop out.

Fun car, I will probably get another on after I pay off my Pilot.
Well, it's for my friend. She's quite set on an '01 Spa Yellow Pearl S2000 w/ ~13k miles. Her requirements were: yellow + low miles + unmolested-unmodded. She's a Honda & JDM enthusiast.

As far as me, when my niece goes to college (and if it's nearby to me), I'll look into getting her (or even my dad, perhaps) an S2000, and live vicariously... ha! :D

(it'd be between: Boxster, maint'/service concerns; Miata, a bit unrefined/underwhelming; S2000, not my cup 'o tea but it's impossible to ignore overall)

Admittedly, I love the hard-tops on the S2000's! With a subtle after-market front-lip, rear-valance, side-skirts, and trunklid lip-spoiler... wowzers! :p

Last edited:
Oh yea- forgot about CarMax as a pricing resource! Part of my spiel, too... :D

Good to know the price (for the '01 w/ ~13k miles) is seemingly fair.

Regarding the "plastic" rear-window, I wonder how difficult it'd be for a custom shop (boats, RV's, campers/trailers, classic/vintage) to retro-fit a glass or Lexan window into an existing rag'top. I noted the '02+ top w/ glass-window is ~$800'ish for the top alone (no frame, hardware/fasteners, etc)!

... or a double-DIN head'unit w/ a rear-camera shall suffice (heck even a rearview-mirror + rear-camera)! :p

Yes I do think $16k is a really good price for a car like this, given what prices are looking like right now. I'd predict a place like Carmax would list a car like this for $18k-$19k, at least.

Not sure about a polycarbonate retrofit or something similar. I'm sure the guys at s2ki have explored it. On the ragtop, make sure you check the condition on the inside, just above the support over the window. There is a design flaw that causes the frame to gradually "eat away" at the cloth with opening and closing over time. I know this because between 6,000 and 62,000 miles I had to have the top replaced on mine, twice. First replacement was under warranty @~35,000 miles and the second was a goodwill repair by Honda @~61,000 miles. Honda's remedy was to shave some of the sharper edges of the frame and put a felt-like tape over the frame above the window. There are threads on s2ki as well.

Vance has a point about the syncros. In '04 they used carbon fiber syncros in the transmissions. Not only were the syncros more durable but made for a smoother, butter-like shift :)

If your friend is into high-rev clutch dumping launches, beware the early models. Differentials have known to have blown with these types of launches. There are even YouTube videos of this. In later models, not sure exactly what year, they installed delay valves in the clutch. This was to save the differential at the expense of the clutch. Some liked it, other didn't. Okay I'll stop talking about this car now. I miss mine. I'll own one again when my NSX is paid off :-D

Re: for family...

Well, it's for my friend. She's quite set on an '01 Spa Yellow Pearl S2000 w/ ~13k miles. Her requirements were: yellow + low miles + unmolested-unmodded. She's a Honda & JDM enthusiast.

As far as me, when my niece goes to college (and if it's nearby to me), I'll look into getting her (or even my dad, perhaps) an S2000, and live vicariously... ha! :D

(it'd be between: Boxster, maint'/service concerns; Miata, a bit unrefined/underwhelming; S2000, not my cup 'o tea but it's impossible to ignore overall)

Admittedly, I love the hard-tops on the S2000's! With a subtle after-market front-lip, rear-valance, side-skirts, and trunklid lip-spoiler... wowzers! :p

Good girl!! Just do a check on the transmission, synchro problem is usually on the fifth gear. Keep in mind that when Honda fixed it for me under warrantee, the bill was around 2700 bucks, and the problem usually arrives around 35 to 50k miles.

$16 K is not too bad but I think you can do slightly better.

Re: refinement issues, grrr...

...Great linkies, thanks man! I've relied on NadaGuides over the years, and if able to get access to an updated/current BlackBook I peruse such.

My general protocol has been entering the VIN on the state DOT/DPS site to get an appraised valuation (an interactive database gives a current price, for tax/title use). I follow that by checking NadaGuides, KBB, Edmunds for price ranges. Then, I head over to AutoTrader, Cars.com, ebay, Craigslist, forums/boards, local/regional dealer-sites, auctions, etc. and get a general idea on pricing.

It's good I don't buy cars often, it wears me out! :D

FWIW it seems used vehicles are at a bit of a premium right now, due to the lack of supply. http://news.yahoo.com/used-cars-prices-continue-rise-2012-nada-says-201010734.html

Especially if the vehicle is good on gas, or has a lot of utility, like a truck.

Full size SUV prices / mini-van prices may sink a little, given the poorer gas mileage.

When I was shopping recently, I offered some sellers full KBB value for "outstanding" and they wouldn't take it. Crazy!!

There is not a quality supply of great vehicles out there right now. Most are not diamonds in the rough, but junk. So adjust accordingly.

Here is one worth taking a look at as a reference-

http://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/934...l-20k-miles-in-stunning-suzuka-blue-metallic/

He's asking 17.5k OBO, write a check for 16.5 or greater and I have little doubt he'd hand over the keys.

Back