• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Unknown bundle of wires in trunk. Appear to be OEM with part numbers.

I've found a random strand of 4 wires in my trunk, running along the drivers rear inner trunk panel. The bundle then runs under the carpet and ends directly under the foam tool tray. These wires are all approx 6 feet in length. They are not plugged into anything.

Three of these wires are all in one grouping. On one end there is a plug attached directly next to the CD changer plug, in fact it is the exact same type of round plug. At the other end of this 6 ft of wires is a plug similar to something you would find on a PC computer [flat, narrow, 1 inch in length with plenty of pin holes (female tip)].
Acura part numbers on the aforementioned plug: 08E04- SLO-200-02.
On the other side of the plug SKN4403A 4403A 084056R44
I have run a google search on the said part numbers with no results returned.

The 4th wire appears to be for some sort of antenna, perhaps for an OEM center console phone. (No part number present). Not too curious about this wire as it's evident it's for an antenna. Still wouldn't mine learning it's intended use.

None of these wires are cut. They are attached at one end, but are not attached to anything at the other end.

Thanks in advance!

These are for the OEM phone. The actual phone "Brain" was mounted in the trunk near the CD changer and was wired from there back into the cabin.

Last edited:
Thanks for your prompt reply, nsxter. I appreciate the info. What you've mentioned makes sense. I would imagine these wires along with the old-school OEM phone are rather useless / obsolete technology. Can't decide if I should remove them or leave them. Either way, I certainly won't cut them out. Anyways, thanks again. Inquiry solved.

Thanks for your prompt reply, nsxter. I appreciate the info. What you've mentioned makes sense. I would imagine these wires along with the old-school OEM phone are rather useless / obsolete technology. Can't decide if I should remove them or leave them. Either way, I certainly won't cut them out. Anyways, thanks again. Inquiry solved.

As i remember i pulled those wires, along with the phone handset and interior wires. It did require removing the armrest and maybe some of the console and panel behind the driver's seat but it got rid of a good bit of wires and the worry of a cable not being connected to its mate i seem to remember the bulkhead pass-thru had a spare plug attached to the wire bundle. That was like 15 years ago so i might be mistaken!
i believe the original phone was an analog cell phone so it would not work w / today's digital network.

I removed my "factory" phone when I got the car 2 years ago and this info is all correct. Well worth removing as there is a ton of weight in all the components. The only parts I had to replace were the coin tray and the bottom panel inside the console, due to holes having been drilled in them. My '88 911 also had a near-identical installation when I got it.

Thanks for the details on how to remove these wires. Four wires, at 6 feet in length, in the trunk alone is unnecessary weight indeed. I would guess there may be another 3 or 4 feet remaining between the trunk and the center armrest. This will be an interesting project patiently pulling it all out.

I see a couple of factory NSX phones for sale on Ebay. Is there a market for them? My car still has the parts installed. Thinking of taking the phone out.

Back