• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Unofficial weight reduction thread

Another battery option

Here is another way to reduce the weight. Replace the stock battery with one from Voltphreaks. I bought this last year during a group buy put on by the members of m5board.com. The voltphreaks battery is a lithium polymer battery. This one weighs 6.5 lbs. (not a typo)

The major downside is that it doesn't hold a lot of energy so if you listen to your stereo a lot with the engine off, this is definitely not the battery for you. Also, these batteries are quite expensive. When we had the group buy last year, I think they were about $675. Now they are much more expensive but they have also made some improvements.

nsxbattery1.jpg

The battery is quite small but the shape is somewhat unwieldy to fit in place of a normal battery. Also, the early batteries did not come with battery posts, but had ring terminals instead.

Close-up:
nsxbattery2.jpg

I used velcro and a bungee cord to secure the battery. A bit ghetto, but it is impossible to find a battery tie-down that is low enough for this battery.

Which brake kit helps you lose a lot of unsprung weight? I read Toyo R1 tires are the lightest tires??
And are Toyo light tires made in 18/19 size?
Thanks

This is what I have done so far to reduce weight.

91 OEM NSX Curb Weight 3010lbs
1991 NSX- S/R New Weight: 2795

Diet / Weight Saving program my NSX just went thru below:
Spare Tire/Wheel ('91-'93) (removed) -29.4 lbs
Spare Tire Mounting Bracket (removed) -3 lbs
Air Pump, (removed) -9 lbs
Entire Tool Kit with Jack (removed) -14 lbs
Floor mats (left and right) and Trunk Mat (Removed when at the track) -12.4 lbs
Engine Cover -25 lbs
Add Odyssey 680 battery(+14.7) & Remove(-35lbs OEM battery) -20.3 lbs
Z-TEK Headers and Remove OEM headers -12 lbs
Remove Cats w/shields- add Comptech Test Pipes (with 02 bung hole) -22 lbs
Custom S/R Race Exhaust & Remove OEM Exhaust -23 lbs
Carbon Fiber NSX-R wing (+6.8) and remove OEM wing -7.2lbs
NSX-R Carbon Fiber Hood and Remove OEM hood -5 lbs
Remove OEM steering wheel & Airbag & add Zero-Mass CF Steeringwheel -17-19 lbs Estimated
Remove OEM rear beam & Replace with STMPO Aluminum Replacement Beam - 15lbs

Last edited:
How much is the rear STMPO beam and is it still available? The website is of zero use. Other than the chance of a bit more damage to the car in a rear ender are there any drawbacks? I would think that as far as driver safety its all the same. That thing is a long way away from the cabin.

How much is the rear STMPO beam and is it still available? The website is of zero use. Other than the chance of a bit more damage to the car in a rear ender are there any drawbacks? I would think that as far as driver safety its all the same. That thing is a long way away from the cabin.

Just remove it, less weight, cheaper and better weight distribution. I'm not convinced that less mass (e.g. alluminum) provides nearky the same level of "protection" which is really just 5 MPh protection - and the question is, why spend money for no safety gain?

If you get rear-ended AND it's more than 5 MPH, just get a new car...

Either case, you should be watching for people all around you, lot's of crazy dumb-ass drivers out there but 9/10, you can avoid them, honk, yell, rev your car and loud exhaust, throw stuff etc.. in order to get their attention and say "STAY THE.. BACK!" ..you get the point.

Last edited:
Just remove it, less weight, cheaper and better weight distribution. I'm not convinced that less mass (e.g. alluminum) provides nearky the same level of "protection" which is really just 5 MPh protection - and the question is, why spend money for no safety gain?

Either case, you should be watching for people all around you, lot's of crazy dumb-ass drivers out there but 9/10, you can avoid them, honk, yell, rev your car and loud exhaust, throw stuff etc.. in order to get their attention and say "STAY THE.. BACK!" ..you get the point.

You don't think that a big aluminum bar like that offers any protection to the car? I hear what you are saying, I am thinking the same way... but am I really taking a risk of serious damage to the car with no bar? Was there ever a thread on this? I have to dig up the CF beam thread. I think some safety issues were discussed there.

I would keep a steel beam on an aluminum uni-body chassis and same money before I took it off and ran the car without it to save money... the bar acts as a link to the frame rails allowing for the "crinkle" to work properly

Having exposed frame rails with zero protection will destroy the car at under 5 mph... but will also send the motor towards the driver in a 50 mph hit....

This is my $.02 and yes I am the original designer/engineer(for r&d purposes)/manufacture of the bar

Sorry about the site as well... it is the current focus and will be annonouced live shortly... you can email with any q's at [email protected]

Regards

1997 Nsx, :D .... I didn't weight mine but I have done:

Engine Cover: "POOF"
Spare Tire + metal anchor = POOF
Tools = POOF
OEM Exhaust = POOF (Ark DTS)
OEM CATS = POOF (custom test pipes -best sound/mode ever-)
Trunk Carpet = POOF (smelled like a dead dog after torrential rains in FL)
Spoiler OEM = POOF (Carbon type-ARRR copy)
OEM Suspension = POOF (TEIN RA's)
OEM Antenna = POOF (Shark II)
OEM CD Changer + Cable + bracket

I am running stock 16-17's .... I hope my NSX is a bit lighter now
:biggrin:

To do:

Type-ARR copy steering wheel
Seats
Lose 25 lb's

Oscar

Last edited:
Which brake kit helps you lose a lot of unsprung weight?
I read Toyo R1 tires are the lightest tires?? Is this true and are they any other tires that dont weight alot?
And are Toyo light tires made in 18/19 size?
Thanks

I don't know how light the Toyos are as I never weighed them, but I am running Toyo T1Rs in 18/19 with 225 front and 275 rear. I don't know how comparable they are in weight to the R1s.

Last edited:
Here's something for the weight watchers out there...

FRP front and rear bumper beams for those who cant afford Procar CF beams. 1.7 kg front and 1.9 kg rear. ~31 lbs savings. Not sure how strong they are tho...

http://homepage3.nifty.com/garage-kite/part.earo.htm#ホースメント

For those who don't want to spend the money on the procar... heres the main reasons to get this...

http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=19

Fitment is perfect... weight savings is substancial... protection still exsists over FRP or CF and the number 1 reason is...

It's made where you want it to be made!!!!

999 kg = 2,200 lb NSX :eek:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/l_JbKyk3TT0&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/l_JbKyk3TT0&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

999 kg = 2,200 lb NSX :eek:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/l_JbKyk3TT0&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/l_JbKyk3TT0&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Can someone tell me what he is saying after the drive?

Looks like the Spoon NSX-R turbo ran 2 seconds SLOWER than the 2,200 lb super lightweight. Colin Chapman was right.... "add more power and it will be faster down the straight, add more lightness and it will be faster everywhere."

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/BEOxBQ45jrM&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/BEOxBQ45jrM&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

First one was not even an R, right? wow... lightweight NSX beats NSX-R with turbo on top. That is incredible.

I was just about to get the STMPO rear beam till I found out my 2005's is already an aluminum beam. :frown:

I wonder what will happen when we get this running.. throw the turbo set up in it... and combind the advantages of weight reduction and power..:smile:

well we actually know what will happen but it sounded better that way....lol

regards

Attachments

• ebay pics 008.jpg
    ebay pics 008.jpg
    72.4 KB · Views: 317
  • picks 002.jpg
    picks 002.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 319
  • DSCF2807.JPG
    DSCF2807.JPG
    83.4 KB · Views: 281
  • car n cage9.jpg
    car n cage9.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 304
  • DSCF2802.JPG
    DSCF2802.JPG
    93.2 KB · Views: 298
  • DSCF2804.JPG
    DSCF2804.JPG
    90.2 KB · Views: 262
Looks like the Spoon NSX-R turbo ran 2 seconds SLOWER than the 2,200 lb super lightweight. Colin Chapman was right.... "add more power and it will be faster down the straight, add more lightness and it will be faster everywhere."

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/BEOxBQ45jrM&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/BEOxBQ45jrM&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

I'm confused. Is the Spoon NSX-R 2200 lbs? If not, what is the 2200 lb lightweight?

Has anyone thought about replacing the targa top with a carbon fibre unit? or on the hardtops cutting the roof and replacing it with a carbon sheet ala E90 M3 and spoon civic? Would bring the center of gravity down alot and im sure you wouldn't loose too much rigidity if done right.:confused:

the roof is already aluminum

so it wouldn't be as big a reduction as from the e92 m3 or a civic

What is the weight of the factory aluminum rear bumper beam? Ross did you know? I forgot the figure. What year did the rear bumper beam go aluminum?

the number we weighed was 18.5 and our replacement was 8.8lbs...

but others will say different..... I also thought 1997 was the first year...

Regards

Back