• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Updated stereo from 91-04?

Was wondering if there have been any updates to the stereo since it came out in 91'? Speaker size? power? headunit update? anything.

Thanks for the input!

Pretty much nothing other than the minor changes to the specific model of CD Changer through different iterations over the years - even then, the after-market mp3-capable CHA-S634 unit is a better option.

The system that's in there today is essentially the same 15 year old vintage that was there from the start - pretty pathetic by today's standards.

Is there a way to connect directly an IPOD to the back of the stock headunit? I plan on getting an IPOD to connect to the car but don't want to use the radio or cassette connections.

There have been several posts of different methods of doing this, the best IMO, being the Blitzsafe adapter.
Use the search feature to research within this forum to get the details.

I have my ipod hooked into my 91 nsx. I used an FM modulator. The antenna still goes up but talking to D'Ecosse today (on nsx chat I might add)... what i'm going to do is put a switch in the signal that goes back to the antenna so that when i hook my ipod in, i'll just throw the switch and it won't come up.

x

only problem i see with doing this is the signal is only as good as your reception so lowering the antenna might lessen the sound quality. I think the best way to integrate the IPOD into our cars would be through a direct connection to the headunit using something like Blitzsafe which was mentioned earlier.

if you look at the schematic in the helms manual.. the signal that raises the mast antenna is not a 'signal' i.e. it's not carrying any music. It's simply a 1/0 that feeds power to the antenna raising the antenna.. The feed for music is done through a different cable. And the actual connection to the ipod is done directly with an FM modulator. There is no reception problem whatsoever since it is basically hardwired into the unit.

x

but when you go through mountain areas where you don't normally get reception the music from the IPOD will cut out using the FM modulator so there is a direct connection with the radio signal and not a harewire into the headunit. I'm sure the FM modulator uses radio waves to transmitt the music sort of like the old drive-ins where you use their frequency to hear the movie.

ssmugen said:
but when you go through mountain areas where you don't normally get reception the music from the IPOD will cut out using the FM modulator so there is a direct connection with the radio signal and not a harewire into the headunit. I'm sure the FM modulator uses radio waves to transmitt the music sort of like the old drive-ins where you use their frequency to hear the movie.
FM modulators emit their own radio frequency, usually in the mid to high 80's(such as 89.1,88.3,ect.). They are not effected by any areas you drive in b/c they broadcast from inside the car. The windshield antenna in the NSX will pick them up fine with the mast down.

Back