• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Upgrading the SOS oil cooler/accusump kit oil lines

Ive had my kit on the car about 3 years now of heavy track use. Its performed pretty well until I noticed recently when the car was getting an extended 'going though' that the Electronic Control Valve that activates on the sump was leaking pretty heavy into my rear trunk carpet from the center gasket the seperating the two halves of the ECV. After speaking with the people over at Canton who makes the sump I bought a new 'better' electronic control valve to replace the older one thats leaking.

replacement:
Ive never been to hot on the the idea of all the engine oil going through hoses. For one, they are connecting to non-clamped barbed push on fittings and second The lines run directly next to the rear tires and over the spinning axles.

My concern is that my hot R-comps are throwing all sorts of rocks and glass and whatever else i run over up into the wheel well where the exposed plain soft rubber lines are exposed. Ive already re routed and semi protected them after i burnt the outside of one on my axle when the zip tie holders broke. Luckily I checked it when I did or I coulda been rebuilding another motor due to starvation. Now its always in my mind, annoyingly so, after I've heard 2 different stories of the otherwise well conditioned lines just failing out of the blue i need to so something.

Since I have to depressurize and disassemble the system completely to replace the valve I figure theres no better time to do the recommended replacement of the oil lines. There are a few routes I can go down that im looking onto and looking for some input.

1) Replace new hose to the push-on barbed fittings and add the correct Oetiker clamps https://www.pegasusautoracing.com/productselection.asp?Product=3295 and hose and when doubled up on clamps they are rated rated to 2000psi. I could then add Kevlar hose sleeves around the outside. bonus being this is a cheaper and easier option than replacing everything with stainless and AN fittings
hose-saver.png

2) Since Stainless/rubberized lines should not be clamped to barbed fittings I would need to replace all the push on barbed fittings with AN stainless compatible connectors. PITA

after some serious mental lifting, diagram sketches and the SOS parts list, i think i've compiled a parts list to upgrade the SOS push on fittings with the proper AN connectors for the stainless sleeved hoses.

If anyone is curious they are listed here off Pegasusautoracing.com

3270-10-FOOT #10 Size Stainless Steel Braided Racing Hose, price per foot $7.99
<input name="Qty0" autocomplete="off" value="6" size="6" type="text">
To delete, change qty to 0 & update.

<tbody>
</tbody>
$47.94In Stock
3271-10-000 Straight Alum. #10 Hose End / 10AN $10.99
<input name="Qty1" autocomplete="off" value="2" size="6" type="text">

<tbody>
</tbody>
$21.98In Stock
3271-10-090 90' Aluminum #10 Hose End / 10AN $23.49
<input name="Qty2" autocomplete="off" value="3" size="6" type="text">

<tbody>
</tbody>
$70.47In Stock
3271-10-120 120' Aluminum #10 Hose End / 10AN $27.49
<input name="Qty3" autocomplete="off" value="1" size="6" type="text">

<tbody>
</tbody>
$27.49In Stock
3281-08-10 1/2 NPT - 10AN Male Run Tee, Aluminum $26.99
<input name="Qty4" autocomplete="off" value="1" size="6" type="text">

<tbody>
</tbody>
$26.99In Stock

<tbody>
</tbody>

total is about $210 The down side to stainless & AN lines is the hoses themselves will be about double the weight, and since they span from the oil sandwich adapter too the oil cooler i worry about the stress from sagging on the connections. Stainless lines are a bitch to cut and install and will still need to be replaced every 5 years.

Input?

Last edited:
I was on the phone with someone about aeroquip startlite fittings today since I wanted to run them with jiffy tite fittings. You may want to research those items since aeroquip is I believe kevlar braided or has something in there that's tear resistant like the steel braided but isn't heavy like the braided stuff. Not sure though if that hose is used for oil though, I forget since my questions weren't geared toward that...

You also may want to look into jiffy tite fittings since they're easy for maintenance if something happens.

Back