• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Urgent Legal Advice Needed

Yesterday my dad got into an accident(the drivers side front was completely totaled) and the paramedics took him to a hospital. At the hospital they did some exams on him and they said that he is ok. However my dad, who is on MediCal and has had major back/spinal cord surgery before), said he cant even walk. Even with those words they somehow got my dad, who also cant speak and understand English well, to sign the release forms. Then this is what that pisses of my whole family. My dad cant even walk yet the hospital discharges him. The hospital did not even bother to call one of my dad's closed-ones to pick him up. Instead they called a taxi to drive him home. Then when i got home i saw my dad laying on the front lawn. He said that the taxi driver just put him there. So me and my brother had to carry him him to our house. For the whole day he had to lay down on his back. However the next day he had urinary problems so i called 911 to take him to the hospital (thank god it is a different one). Guest what the hospital found out after some MRI's. My dad had injured his spinal cord again and he will need to have surgery tommorrow. I am so pisssssed right now :mad: :mad:. I will file a complaint on the hospital and i need so advice on how to approach this matter.

What do you want to do to the hospital?

Unless you can prove that they injured him, you don't have much to expect in the way of recovery of damages.

Contact an attorney asap. I'm not an attorney but I don't think you have to prove that they injured him. You may have claims of negligence, malpractice, etc.

Contact an attorney.

Are you sure they understood he couldn't walk? If he can't speak english, and i doubt the ER speaks korean or whatever, they may not have understood... he probably couldn't communicate the extent of his problems to them.

As far as the taxi goes, that's pretty standard if they can't get a working phone number.

aside from the he said/she said aspect, i don't think asking a car forum for legal advice is the best idea. a local ambulance chaser can probably give you a better idea how to proceed.

That's horrible!

My dad needs a cane and mobility is very slow at his age.
If what you described above ever happened to my father I'd be livid.

I'd track people down and spend every waking moment figuring
out what went on and how things took place, and if I ever found
malpractice or negligence involved, I wouldn't think twice about
making the people who are responsible pay. There is no mercy or
pity when it comes to family. I hope you find what you're looking for.

thanks guys. i got back after a week in the new hospital. I contacted a lawyer and he said he has to look in on it. After talking some more with my dad he said that he was actually speaking a nurse that spoke his language and it was the nurse that got him to sign the papers. All i worry about now is mydad's upcoming surgery.

That's a horrible ordeal that your father had to go through! Our prayers will be with him on his surgery. After that -- nail those bastards to the wall! Nobody should have to go through anything like that!

WeakestLink said:
I'm not an attorney

Then, please explain to me why you are speaking.

I don't think you have to prove that they injured him.

The first bit of the sentence was correct.

You may have claims of negligence, malpractice, etc.

You may have claims of alien abduction as well, but they are about as relevant.

I would refer to you to Prosser & Keaton on Torts, but I don't think it'd do a bit of good.

Back