• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Used Cars That Have Gone Up in Value

Just this summer a used 05-06 Acura RL was selling for $5k less than they are now. 04-06 MDX's are the same way. We were selling 05 RL's for the same price as a similar mile 04 TSX.

I'm sooooo pissed I didnt buy it when they were at 15/16 grand...now I can't get a nice one under 22 :mad:

I'm sooooo pissed I didnt buy it when they were at 15/16 grand...now I can't get a nice one under 22 :mad:

You and me both. We'd have kids come in because their Integra was just stolen. They'd be looking for an 04 TSX to mod, but usually left in an 05 RL for the same price.

Audi RS6 but those are still depreciating albeit very slowly. They are just very rare.

More like dropping like a rock! I owned one for 6 months and it lost 25% of its value :biggrin: These were $90k cars selling for $30/40ks a year ago.

IMHO the RS6 is the BEST DD you can buy right now. In the $30s.

993 TTS is the one I can think of. Selling for ~25% above MSRP even now.

I own four cars from the '80's and '90's that I think have bottomed out and are / will be heading up in value in the future...

2006_0905Image0124.jpg

DSCF3358.jpg

DSCF2528.jpg

DSCF3457.jpg

Any thoughts on the Viper? The prices have cratered recently so it's hard to think they can go down further. I think the Viper will follow the NSX in terms of depreciation.

Buick Grand National?

800px-1987_Buick_Grand_National.jpg
GN's have for the most part bottomed out their depreciation price. The GNX however continues to appreciate for the most part. It frequently exchanges hands for more than double, and some times triple, the $29K it sold for in 1987.

Front.jpg

I think the BMW Z8 has also remained close to or higher than they sold for.

bmw-z8-runway.jpg

Tim

Last edited:
Any thoughts on the Viper? The prices have cratered recently so it's hard to think they can go down further. I think the Viper will follow the NSX in terms of depreciation.

I respectfully disagree. They will continue the downward spiral.

I have a "regular" 850 i...LOVE IT!
Wish I could have afforded a CSi

I've asked about the BMW 8 series' before, and I have to say -- this is the FIRST time I've heard anyone say they actually enjoyed owning one. How long have you had yours, and how many miles have you put on it? My understanding is that they are worse-than-Ferrari type maintenance. They are beautiful though.

Agree on the Viper -- it will be a classic someday too.

How about early 90's Corvette ZR1s and M coupes (M Z3, in coupe or 'vert)?

Last edited:
850csi. I used to love that BMW, thought it was ahead of its time. For the most part, I think to get on this list the car should be desirable and rare (relatively).

Any cars currently holding their value/going up are definitely legit. This economy is otherwise killing values of any pretenders.

I agree. This one is my wifes daily driver
16456_.jpg

16457_.jpg

I've asked about the BMW 8 series' before, and I have to say -- this is the FIRST time I've heard anyone say they actually enjoyed owning one. How long have you had yours, and how many miles have you put on it? My understanding is that they are worse-than-Ferrari type maintenance. They are beautiful though.

We love ours. Drive it everyday and have had no problems at all. its a 93 Ci w/66K. Had it bout a yr.

a couple more pics
16458_.jpg

I pretty much only buy cars from the 80's and 90's that I think have bottomed out or come close to it.
16459_.jpg

16460_.jpg

16461_.jpg

That garage is like a timewarp to some of the daydreams of my youth. Love it! All you need are a Countach/Diablo, a Syclone and a 512TR.

I read that 850s were having problems with their cylinder linings due to the higher sulphur content in US gasoline that BMW hadn't considered. It might depend on location though.

That garage is like a timewarp to some of the daydreams of my youth. Love it! All you need are a Countach/Diablo, a Syclone and a 512TR.

I read that 850s were having problems with their cylinder linings due to the higher sulphur content in US gasoline that BMW hadn't considered. It might depend on location though.

LOL, Thank-you.

Countach/Diablo is on my want list, as is a Testarossa/512TR. Had a Syclone but would like to get a Typhoon. The liner problem I think was just an issue on the V8 engines, I think?

I respectfully disagree. They will continue the downward spiral.

Don't agree at all. 96-02 GTS are now MORE then 03-05 Vipers.

The 96-02 Viper GTS has held it's value VERY well.

I bought my 1991 in 1999 with 17,000 miles on her. So 10 years, 80,000 miles now...the least maintenence of ANY car I've owned!

That was the 4.0 (840/540/etc...)
I actually almost went with the "safe" v8...glad I did NOT!

I bought my 1991 in 1999 with 17,000 miles on her. So 10 years, 80,000 miles now...the least maintenence of ANY car I've owned!

All I can say is...WOW. To me, that's like hearing someone say, "My Enzo has been cheaper to drive than a civic, and gets better gas mileage too."

You must know of other owners. Are you a lucky exception do you think (ie, has the general public *only* heard the exceptional (horror) stories)? I absolutely love the 8 series, so choose your words carefully...:wink::tongue:

http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=70411&highlight=probe

Last edited:

Agree on the Viper -- it will be a classic someday too.

How about early 90's Corvette ZR1s and M coupes (M Z3, in coupe or 'vert)?

I have actually heard many 8 Series owners praise the car. Many absolutely love it. In fact, I think George Carlin had one and said he absolutely loved it. I can't imagine it's really that great but I think it's got its devotees. I have heard some things about maintenance but it can't possibly be Ferrari-esque, can it? On a side note, I saw an 850 CSi the other day. Only about 225 imported to the US.

The ZR-1s have held value fairly well, not sure about appreciation though.

The M Roadster is still on the decline. You can pick a very nice example up for around $15K. Those things are deathtraps anyway. 315 hp, 2600 lbs, terrible suspension geometry and balance. I'd love to play with one though. :biggrin:

Last edited:
I just bought my girlfriend a 97 840ci from the 2nd owner who obviously took very good care of the car. I really went over all of his maintenance receipts and, while not Honda/Acura reliable, his costs for 8 years of ownership were much lower than I had previously been lead to believe were the norm. The early 8-cylinders (the 4.0 engine) had problems with the nikasil cylinder linings and sulphur in the gasoline. BMW replaced quite a few under recall and the 4.4 resolved the issue. I always loved the looks of the car and now my girlfriend absolutely loves the luxury, 'soft ride', and the power.

My NSX is a 97 that cost about the same as this one when new and they are about polar opposites. There were actually fewer of the 8-series in the US than NSXs imported. The 840 weighs more than 2 tons but handles remarkably well for its size. The pillarless windows make for a great cruiser and it is stable and quiet at amazing speeds. Even the 8-cylinders are good for over 180mph with the limiter removed. When she lets me drive it, I find it to be the perfect complement to the NSX. Definitely not for everyone, but a special car in its own right.

I just bought my girlfriend a 97 840ci from the 2nd owner who obviously took very good care of the car. I really went over all of his maintenance receipts and, while not Honda/Acura reliable, his costs for 8 years of ownership were much lower than I had previously been lead to believe were the norm. The early 8-cylinders (the 4.0 engine) had problems with the nikasil cylinder linings and sulphur in the gasoline. BMW replaced quite a few under recall and the 4.4 resolved the issue. I always loved the looks of the car and now my girlfriend absolutely loves the luxury, 'soft ride', and the power.

My NSX is a 97 that cost about the same as this one when new and they are about polar opposites. There were actually fewer of the 8-series in the US than NSXs imported. The 840 weighs more than 2 tons but handles remarkably well for its size. The pillarless windows make for a great cruiser and it is stable and quiet at amazing speeds. Even the 8-cylinders are good for over 180mph with the limiter removed. When she lets me drive it, I find it to be the perfect complement to the NSX. Definitely not for everyone, but a special car in its own right.

Very nice.

I remember seeing this fabulous DINAN 8 series at a car meet.......

DSC00124.jpg

then unfortunately later on the run it looked like this

BMWwoops.jpg

Back