• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

V olvo c-70

Hey Peeps,

I have been considering a 98-99 c-70 coupe as a daily driver considering the rediculously low price. Have never owned a volvo, any comments? Thanks. (Coincidentally, saw some Volvo bashing in the general discussion, but nothing specific)

....errr.... don't want to influence your decision, but just so you are informed, Volvo drivers are often disliked because of slow/bad driving. (it's a generalization) Also, Volvo's cannot act as a chick-magnet (not even as an optional extra or after modding)
smile.gif

but at least Volvo's are meant to be safe.

the c-70 is fairly sharp looking, i think... and i am a slow (but not dangerous) driver anyway... what's the hurry? unless i'm in the acura, then zoom zoom zoom.. currently i own a saab as a daily driver.. never again, SAAB- Swedish Automobile, Always Broken)

My wife used to own one. My wife liked it until she got herself Audi A6 (she "loves" her audi). However, I felt that the car could've been more refined in terms of power delivery and torque management. During her ownership for 60k miles, she changed two headlight bulbs, two bliker bulbs, and that was it. It did not have any other problems.
You should test drive one to see if you like it.

A friend's wife bought a C70 new in '98 and it has over 70k miles on it now. The only problems she's had with it were after she took on a huge pothole head-on with the right front tire and a large truck carrying slate roofing tiles lost a couple tiles and they hit her roof and hood. While I would agree, it could use a bit more engine refinement, they are wonderfully reliable. Its for sale too
smile.gif

Sunny

CA to Philly... I like the car, but jeez.. ; ) Good to hear of the reliability of the car, some suggested the 98 was not as reliable as the 99... I am looking for a black automatic (yea, i know, sacrilege) hey, it's for everyday.. the prices here for a 98 are about 15-16 grand..

I have a 2000 s80 and without a doubt it is the worst car I have ever owned even though
it is 100% problem free.

Rough ride on other than smooth freeway
pavement.Ergonomics are my pet peeve. I have
the upgraded radio-which sounds great- but
to change stations using the presets-you
must take your eyes off the road to see what
preset you which you turned.Resle value on
the Volvo is terrible as the company floods
the market with cheap leases. Fortunately
I did lease mine and will probably turn it in a few months early

My wife refuses to drive it-unless it is really necessary.

Excessive amount of torque steer even for a
front wheel drive car.

In fairness-my previous two daily drivers were SC 400 Lexus coupes-which I feel were the best cars I ever owned-even though some
people feel that the Lexus does not give
enough feedback to the driver.

yeah, I didnt care for the s80, but did like the s60 and bought it. Only 3k miles on it but love it. got the T5, which is the highboost turbo sport package. some torque steer but overall really great handling and feels great at 90mph on the interstate---UNLIKE the TL which i thought had fairly mediocre handling. Just got back from a 500 mile trip and the seats are 'almost' as good as the nsx
wink.gif
sorry, cant say much about the 70 except there is a friend who has a 96? who really likes it.

goodluck

For 15 grand or so i am not as concerned about torque steer or even a quirky ergonomics for the car we are discussing. For that money the only thing i could buy would be fairly bland (subjective, I know) or Ford/Chevy-ish.

Back