• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Valve stems stolen...

I thought I was the only to have this happen to. A friend and I went to a resturant, on the way in some guy standing outside saw me pull in he said I had a nice car and asked me what was under the hood. I answer back politely 'Nothing, the engine is not in the front' he started snicking under his breath a bit. Then my friend said that the engine was in the back. I guess the guy was in disbelief because when I came back out to leave 1 of my valve stems and all the caps were missing.

The was just a great night, becuase it was raining like crazy by the time I left the resturant, and it was the first time I ever had to use me OE factory Wheel and pump. Thanks at least for that being in the trunk. Well at least for my luck I parked near the front door of the resturant, and he only took the driver side rear valve stem. But all the caps were missing and only 2 tires deflated, if I was any further I would be missing all of them. Damn people have no lives, and have to ruin it for the hard working guys that love their cars!

Has anyone seen the caps that can lock, do these work? Would make sense that way you can't get the cap off, and then you can't pull out the valve stem itself?

Happened to me to

I noticed my chrome NSX caps were missing a few weeks ago also. It piises me off that someone would want something as simple as that. Now I can't find the same caps anywhere. Well actually, I have not even looked. Had them for about 2 years though

DannyC said:
Happened to me to

I noticed my chrome NSX caps were missing a few weeks ago also. It piises me off that someone would want something as simple as that. Now I can't find the same caps anywhere. Well actually, I have not even looked. Had them for about 2 years though

Check ebay.

I have given up expensive valve stems and covers. I tell the tire mount tech to install the cheap rubber valve stem with a small chrome ring with chrom cap.. $2 a pop.

I find that the rubber valve stems give me a lot less trouble in the long run.. No leaky valve stem and replacement is cheap if it even happens.

interestingly tire tech agrees with me. Cheap rubber valve stem is the best.

i have work anehlos on my nsx. I had 2 of the valve stems covers stolen the one time i took my car to my commuter ferry parking lot. The most annoying part is that the bastards unscrewed the valve so when i got to the car my tires were flat. Thank you honda for the air compressor.

My friend has those stem cap covers that need a key to take off (or they'll just keep spining) on his S2000. He complained though that sometimes they're hard to take off.

I just pop down to my local bicycle store and buy some nice aluminium caps cheap, at auto stores they sometimes charge triple the price. In Australia, i just left plastic ones on and used the nice ones for car shows. Otherwise they NEVER lasted more than a few days, empirically tested through four sets before i gave up. :(

Little bastards on bikes were usually the culprits. I caught three of them in the process of removing them from my car. I noticed them checking my car out as i drove into the car park. I had a bad feeling about them (especially being school holidays and the above experience) so i went inside the store and watched them through the window. Sure enough they made a beeline to my car. I rushed out and grabbed one of them, the other two took off, shouting obscenties at me, telling me they didn't have them whilst throwing the caps to the ground!).

I took the kid's bike, called the cops (the security guard told me i should have just beaten the living hell out of him!). The kid was crying by this time (15yrs old or so). He gave the police the information on where other two lived. The police went around to their house and lo and behold, they had a box in their room with a hundred caps or so. They were selling them to other kids at their school. The mother begged the police to arrest them (single mother) because they were out of control. Police could only give them a warning.

Back