• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Vendor Request Active Aero..

Wow! Nice idea.

FYI,
we have been working/made agreement with AeroMotion on an active rear wing project and we hope by X'mas time we will have more to announce.

In short,
the higher the wing, the cleaner the air => DF. A stock wing or a R-wing won't get enough clean air to make a difference =>bling, good for C&C(not that there is anything wrong with that)
a split wing above works well for a much lighter car. a heavy 4000 lbs+ GTR with a split wing = 1/2 the DF of the said wing and its hard to feel the difference....but you look cool.
A few more parts need to happen before the active wing =>carbon center console to mount the display and controls(done), a carbon rear deck lid to mount the active wing(wip).

Here is some info on a light Porsche 908 with manual active aero. Your top speed will suffer but your lap time will be lower.
http://flatsixes.com/porsche-motors...porsche-908lhs-suspension-activated-ailerons/

If all goes well, we'll do something for the front as well to balance the car. "Most likely" the front aero will mount from our front carbon bumper beam(done) to have a stealth/clean look not the catfish look like most.

Last edited:
Jack,
Yes we do. Swift:wink: is just up the freeway from us and they need work. They had a fire sale of their tunnel a few years ago but their CFD rate is around $120/hr. We might do it for the on-going carbon side scoop project just to compare oem vs ours from a simple model. It all depends how many people are willing to pay. These kinda data is expensive so its time to visit the yarn store and get a Go Pro:biggrin:

That's pretty cool, thanks for developing stuff for the nsx, I'm interested on how much this will cost first.

I disagree on the show no go part of the nsx-r wing. I have a crap replica and it made a noticeable difference to me. I'm sure Billy said something similar to that.

NSX-R aero

For us, doing it correctly takes precedent over price. This kinda stuff is not cheap as its not bling. From the Aeromotions website, you can have an idea how much it cost just for the wing.

To keep the math and discussion simple, R-wing generates 25kgf at 108km/h, but if your car weights at mid 2500lbs, you will "feel it" more of it than if your car is at 3300+lbs. with all the AM parts. Thus some will say it does not work but some will say it does. But the bottom line is: Static aero causes drag & wear & tear all the time vs active aero only when you need it. We like to keep the car as efficient as possible w/o looking too much of a douche. R-wing is just too low to be an efficient 'wing' as its not an air foil and there is not much laminar flow there especially the higher speed. We have a DF R-wing and made no noticeable difference. Many of us live between 0-120-0 so mechanical grip is more important than aero at that speed but active stuff is pretty cool to play with. We Want!

http://world.honda.com/NSX/technology/t3.html

I am local to Aeromotions. The wind tunnel at MIT is also here. If they need an NSX let me know. I spoke to them before and they basically blew me off.

You don't need to be that high on an NSX. Lower wings can get clean flow. The shape of the car ahead of the wing matters a lot and the NSX is good for that. Don't make something so ugly no one will buy. Looks matter as well.

AFAIK, Coz has their fixed wing now and he had APR before.

It will be a true air foil otherwise, we won't bother with this much work.
The R-wing has been around forever and since its mother Honda, nobody dared to complain. besides, there are plenty of bad a$$ AM wings on the market. Some people like function over form and some like the other way around. It will mostly likely have a Gurney but some don't like that so you can't please everyone.

When we 1st started this project from scratch, all the h/w components added up to over $25k using Pi-research (now Cosworth) product, w/o CFD or tunnel data or a wing. And then, our past NPTI contact from Crawford Performance referred us to Aeromotions and suddenly, this project is possible again. So far they are nice to us and they are willing to help so it will be like the steering rack project, its also up to Prime number-wise to make it happen.

Upon discussion with AMotions, to make it like the Ford GT 40 active aero, it will be an easy additional $30K+ engineering Frankenstein exercise for all the additional actuators and hydraulics and there won't be a trunk anymore so that thought is scraped. We are fortunate the NSX "has" a rear wing to begin with so it won't look like "too much" of an add-on.

Without generating a real model, its impossible to locate the lowest point of where the separation occurs. It will be higher than the R wing so you can see who you left behind using the rear view mirror & to see the wing in action.

Back