• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Vents in side skirts - why?

Mods - If there's a more appropriate sub-forum for this question, please feel free to move it.

I can't figure out why vented side skirts are so popular with our cars. Hopefully someone can clue me in.

Most (the overwhelming majority) of the vented skirts I've seen don't appear to be plumbed to anything (such as the rear brakes) and so are just inviting air to pass through the skirt and exit in front of the rear tire. This doesn't seem ideal.

Is it just all about looks?

All good, thanks for the replies gentlemen.

I think most of my confusion stemmed from my previously held belief that your typical NSX owner believed in form following function.

All good, thanks for the replies gentlemen.

I think most of my confusion stemmed from my previously held belief that your typical NSX owner believed in form following function.

Both. And that's why these cars are so great...

Indeed they are inlets and not vents stuntman, thanks! Seems the skirts on my car are held on in part by rivets... I'm a little apprehensive about what I'll find under them.

This is one of the many mods that raises the value of the few remaining unmodded NSX's.

Has anyone thought about making skirts that actually work like the old F1's that were banned in the I think Mid 80's? The ones that keep the side airflow out?

I'm no genius so excuse me if it's been talked about or done before.
The Realtime Racing World Challenge GT NSX had a pretty nice side skirt that vents the front wheel well, was low to the ground, protrudes out, and does a good job at preventing air from going under the car.

Last edited:
I have also worked on a car that had vented skirts and the pressure from not having anywhere for the air to go had damaged the positive pressure cabin vents making them not work properly.

I am a huge fan of "form following function". If your going to put a vent in... make it do something besides hold turbulent air pressure.

x3 rear brake ducting :smile:

Back