• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Vibrations when braking at 120Km/h

Hi guys, don't know if any of you had this problem but my NSX seems to vibrate when I apply the brakes at speeds over 120Km/h. Why is that so? Is there anything that I can D.I.Y. to fix the problem?

Btw, the vibration seems to be coming from the front part of the car.

Thanks

Yes I have that problem as well, it was my rotors.
It might be time for some new ones.

If the feeling is only under hard braking, then it might also be the ABS. When ABS kicks in, you get what I call a vibrating feeling when it cycles.

You likely need new rotors.

I wouldn't suggest engaging ABS at 120km/h unless you really need too.

You have to be really on the brakes to get ABS to work don't you?

It may just be pad material buildup on the rotors (but don't expect to see or feel it). If you are curious enough to experiment, jack up the car, pull the front wheels, and spin the rotors while holding fine sandpaper to the surface. (~200 grit and start with medium pressure) Be sure to get inside and outside surfaces on both rotors then spray with brake clean and test it. If that made any difference at all then you could get by with just cleaning them up manually or removing them for a minimal cleanup cut on a brake lathe. Of course, you may soon be back where you started, but it is a cheap experiment and may buy you a lot of miles.

I had the same problem on both stock rotors and after market, problem is solved by having the rotors turned on a lathe, they call it polishing here in Japan but most likely same thing that sjs is reffering to. BTW I was using mugen pads on my car which seem to run at a higher temperature than stock pads, since changing back to stock pads I have not had any further problems with warped rotors.

Are your pads stock ?

//Kye

Yes Kye, all my brake components are stock. Haven't got the chance to do the SJS experiment yet, but will do it this weekend to see if there is any change.

If worse comes to worse, I think I might have to change the brake rotors and pads to an aftermarket ones. Any suggestions on which is the best? ( In terms of price, durability and style).

Hi, I am using the cross drilled / slotted rotors from dali and am very happy with them, using stock pads now since the after market pads seem to be the cause of the rotors warping etc

In my previous NSX (1991 model) I had a lot of problems with judder on stock pads and rotors that was a recurring problem specially after heavy track use, just one of those things I guess.

Supercar,
I switched to the Stoptech Aerorotors in front and am using Axxis pads from Dali. Both are not a big investment $-wise but, at least for me, do give me better feeling and better performance than the stock-rotors and pads.

Back