• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Vir 6/19-20

Thanks for the Roebling info- I may also try to hit Road Atlanta, since that's where I'm picking up the Elise. I will PM you when I hear more from the Lotus dealer.

Got my recent emails (medical and tech forms) from Dave. I'm in the advanced solo group.

What group are you other attendees in, if you know?

I'm staying at the Comfort Inn. Is anyone else?

Jeff

ak- Beginner Group?? be gentle..... ;)

DCNSX said:
ak- Beginner Group?? be gentle..... ;)

I think there are 4 run groups...novice, beginner, intermediate and advanced(for pro like jeff). I'm still a beginner :p

Yeah, Hank and Akia (I think that's how you spell that?) did great last event there at VIR in their groups. Kept it in control, and gained that experience. That's the ticket. You should be able to jump right in there this time.

I'm not quite a pro, but I am officially an instructor now. Gotta find some group that's going to Barber Motorsports Park in Birminham, that needs more instructors - I would really like to try that track.

the annual Lotus Club national event will be at Barber in Sept. I would love to take the Elise down there. It's a beautiful track, but a long way from VA. PM me if you'd like contact info for the event.

ak said:
I think there are 4 run groups...novice, beginner, intermediate and advanced(for pro like jeff). I'm still a beginner :p

Me too!

we'll both be slow together :D

-x-

The weather's looking GREAT for the VIR event :cool:

Got my track pads on, car packed, removed my passenger seat to bring track tires. Getting excited!

See you guys there. I'll be at the Comfort Inn friday at about dinner time for tech inspection. Last time all us NSXers parked together in the paddock at the track. Let's do that again, it was fun.

Can't wait to pass all the Miatas. He he.

Jeff

Jeff A said:
The weather's looking GREAT for the VIR event :cool:

Got my track pads on, car packed, removed my passenger seat to bring track tires. Getting excited!

See you guys there. I'll be at the Comfort Inn friday at about dinner time for tech inspection. Last time all us NSXers parked together in the paddock at the track. Let's do that again, it was fun.

Can't wait to pass all the Miatas. He he.

Jeff

My second event ever... last time a spec miata passed me.. :(

i'll admit it.. still learning the car.

-x-

don't feel bad- a spec miata on racing tires can kill an NSX in the corners. the full course has those two long straights to let you make it up, though. I've seen a supercharged miata keep up w/ an F355 at Summit Pt.- a lot depends on who's driving/tires/ suspension set-up/weight reduction. BTW- if you see Gary Yates at VIR in his white "track rat" NSX- look at how much weight he's shed. he keeps up with much "faster" (higher-hp) cars thru better handling/braking.

We're back from a *great* VIR DE. We had 5 NSXs (pictures to follow I'm sure), plus 3 other guys stopped by and mentioned they had NSXs but didn't bring them - most not wanting to risk their favorite car at a track. Lots of admirers came by to take pictures.

Due to restrictions of all convertibles required to have roll cages, there were very very few Miatas. The ones that were there were all Spec miata racecars. There were a ton of RX7s (first gen, 2nd gen, 3rd gen, they're into this big Gen thing...). There were some Turbo 7s that were faster than the fastest turbo porsche racecars there. The fastest guy I found was in one that could do a lap in 2:07. My fastest lap time was 2:28 in my stock NSX - not too bad I think.

They had 4 run groups - novice, beginner, intermediate, and advanced. We had an NSX in all 4 groups, and all were signed off to run solo within their group by the end. Great job all.

The Mazda club did a fine job. Instead of having any social events (like fancy dinners), they hired a serious professional racing trainer (John Wood) who held a lot of classes all day long. He had worked for Barber and a lot of other schools, after racing in formula type cars. The classes were excellent, a great learning experience. Spent a lot of time in class.

When you other guys who bought CDs of the parade lap (all 5 NSXs on the track together), please post a few here.

At least 4 (if not 5) of us all plan on going to NSXPO at the Glen. Can't wait!

Jeff

Here's a picture of your's truly leading a pair of Z06's into the roller coaster. Of course, given my relatively whimpy 275 or so horsepower, they were quick to overtake me at the following straight. :rolleyes: But I'm happy to report that (with the help of my new set of Hoosiers) I'm finally keeping up with those SCCA spec miatas in the turns, and passed 3 in my final session.

Attachments

• jeffvir.jpg
    jeffvir.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 304
Parade lap

More to come...

:D

wNDQzOTA5NnM0MTNkZmQzMXk1NDE%3D.jpg

wNDQzOTEwNnM0MTNkZmQzMXk1NDE%3D.jpg

wNDQzOTExNnM0MTNkZmQzMXk1NDE%3D.jpg

wNDQzOTEyNnM0MTNkZmQzMXk1NDE%3D.jpg

wNDQzOTEzNnM0MTNkZmQzMXk1NDE%3D.jpg

wNDQzOTE0NnM0MTNkZmQzMXk1NDE%3D.jpg

Some of the pictures were offset b/c we had Mark who thought we were still racing in the parade lap and ak who didn't know where the photographer exactly was. It was all fun though. I hope to see you guys again!!

P.S. - If you want the original copies of these (which are huge in format) feel free to email me.

-x-

saw you driving into Danville on 360

Jeff,
I assume it was you in the red NSX on 360 Friday around 5pm-ish based on your Goergia tags. I was driving through Danville to Peaks of Otter with the family and at a redlight I noticed your packed NSX (track tires stacked in the passenger side) pull past me on the left. I told my wife that you were tracking at VIR this weekend. I didn't want to act like a fool and honk because I was in the Lexus SUV and you were busy picking up your radar detector that fell as the light turned green DOAH! :eek:

I'm glad you all had a great time. VIR is a GREAT track. Were you on the North Course? It seems that you were in turn 2-3-4 from the pics.....

Gotta watch out for uphill right hander turn 7 past the overpass.... a lot of cars spin out there based on that flat dirt spot in the runoff.... and a couple bikes high side too (don't ask me how I know) :D

Biaggi -

Yep, that was me! Crazy! It was a GPS that fell, dang thing won't get good reception inside the car, and it won't stay on the dash with any sort of accelleration. Gotta get some better mounting for it.

It was the full course at VIR. And yes, looking at the picture more carefully, you're right. It was at turn 5 and 5a I believe. You can see a car in the background in the turn 1 area. The group shots above were in the roller coaster.

I love that uphill ess set of curves that starts in 7. For me, the last right hander in that set (turn 9) is the toughest. I found if you take slightly bigger sweeping turns thru the ess vs. smaller jerky turns it's a bit less hairy. I was doing it at 110 mph on those Hoosiers, it was really a blast.

Hope to see you at a track event sometime.

Jeff

I think this was without a doubt the most NSX's at VIR at one time. Makes me wish I had mine there as well, oh well the M3 race car needs all the time it can get to try to find a decent setup! Cars looked great guys! I hate I didn't get a chance to ride with one of you guys. Great to meet you and we'll see ya at VIR again soon!

Great NSX turnout for VIR- gotta keep those Mazdas honest. I had a blast at Pocono and will post some photos later (I was also dicing with a Z06 there).

just a few more pics

wNDQ1NDA2NnM0MTNkZmQzMXk1NDE%3D.jpg

wNDQ1NDA3NnM0MTNkZmQzMXk1NDE%3D.jpg

wNDQ1NDA4NnM0MTNkZmQzMXk1NDE%3D.jpg

gotta love the suspension :p (stock)

wNDQ1NDA5NnM0MTNkZmQzMXk1NDE%3D.jpg

wNDQ1NDEwNnM0MTNkZmQzMXk1NDE%3D.jpg

wNDQ1NDExNnM0MTNkZmQzMXk1NDE%3D.jpg

Again.. just wanted to say thanks to Mark for our weekend 'shelter'. And to all hope to see ya at NSXPO if not sooner!

-x-

It was nice seeing/meeting you all and hope to see you again soon at another track event! Thanks to Mark for his hospitality at the track :)

A little shade on a hot day makes an event sooo much nicer. I wish I had purchased the canopy sooner. I had a great time and enjoyed meeting some fellow X'ers.

I just want to say that this past weekend was a blast, it was great fun seeing all those NSXs together at the same time. I hope to see you all again very soon.

Back