• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

voltage regulator for alternator rebuild

I had my alternator rebuilt by someone on prime earlier this year and ever since I got it, it has never worked right. I changed battery cables and checked all my grounds it still is running low. I finally took it off and took it to local alternator shop and they tested it. It is only putting out 35-40 amps when it should be like 110. He said my voltage regulator is bad. Acura has them for $275 and I was wondering if anyone has had luck with any other brand regulators. The alternator shop couldnt find any alternatives to the stock one. Thanks for any help

Not really. The price of the OEM Denso voltage regulator is why the OEM alt is so expensive. Remanufactured alternators use el-cheapo voltage regulators, that's why they're cheaper and hit-or-miss as to if they work or not. I bought a 140A high-output alternator for my son's 4WS Prelude and it didn't work right until I swapped in a Denso VR.

After reading everything I could find on high charging voltage, I need a new regulator. I've confirmed the high voltage with a Fluke meter and checked the grounds. DrDave posted "I use Regitar brand regulators for the Acura Legend alternators that I rebuild." Should I try to find one of these or spring for the Denso? Any advice on what to do or where to buy a regulator would be appreciated. Thanks.

Back