• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Volvo C70 HT Coupe or Acura CL Type S

My sister is thinking about replacing her '97 Acura 3.0 CL with either the new CL Type S or a Volvo C70 HT. Which one would you guys recommend.

I asked 4 friends, and 3 of the 4 went with the CL, and the friend that chose the C70 chose it because he liked the exterior styling of the car better than the CL.

The 3 that chose the CL made that decision because:
1)The C70 is dated
2)They don't like turbo cars
3)They didn't like the interior of the C70

Just want some more opinions. Thanks!

Ryan

------------------
2001 NSX-T
- Bilstein Shocks
- '02 OEM Wheels

I like neither of those two choices.

We were looking at getting a C70 Convertible for my wife, but upon learning more about it, we decided against it.

Has she considered the upcoming Infiniti G35 Coupe based on the new Z platform?

We were looking at similar cars, but went with the MB CLK 320, which is in the ballpark for price and size.

I like the CL type S though also, we drove that a few times, but eventually chose the Benz instead.

Sadly the CLK is not in her price range at all. A fully loaded C70 is around $33K, and the CL Type S is around $31K. CLK 320 Coupe is 45K and thats without options. Too much money for her to spend on a car. What do you guys recommend besides the CL and C70 thats in the 31-33K price range?

Thanks.

Ryan

------------------
2001 NSX-T
- Bilstein Shocks
- '02 OEM Wheels

Best car would be the G35 coupe. Base is 29k, nicely optioned at 33k. Looks much better than either a CLS or C70, and with 280hp and rwd. I've got a 6spd with Brembos on order for 34,500. If you don't get the Bose and sunroof it's only 32,500.

Originally posted by sabashioyaki:
Best car would be the G35 coupe. Base is 29k, nicely optioned at 33k. Looks much better than either a CLS or C70, and with 280hp and rwd. I've got a 6spd with Brembos on order for 34,500. If you don't get the Bose and sunroof it's only 32,500.

the g35 is only 260 hp and imo that car is pretty ugly ..... but to each his own.

Ummmm... we are talking about the COUPE here, not the sedan.

The coupe looks much better than the sedan, and indeed has 280 hp. It also shares many parts with the new 350Z.

In fact.. the G35 coupe ( dies to its longer whelbase and upgraded suspension parts) runs better times in the slalom at a 2.5mph ish increase.

The car is really a nice looking car, right up until you see it from the rear.

Originally posted by ERicincal:
In fact.. the G35 coupe ( dies to its longer whelbase and upgraded suspension parts) runs better times in the slalom at a 2.5mph ish increase.

The car is really a nice looking car, right up until you see it from the rear.

You saw the G35 Coupe?

The article said that it wasn't available until November...

I am a big fan of the G35 sedan and coupe. I drove the sedan and thought it was great. I have also driven the TL-S and CL-S and I would take the G35 over both.

Seems to me that all above opinions are based on what they wanted and not your sister. What things does she like? As a brother I would push the C70 mainly for its safety having had a "head-on" at 70 two years ago and emerged uninjured (in a Volvo).

I've a CL TypeS for about a year now and really enjoy the car. As far as bang for you buck is concerned (bang meaning luxury and performance) the only thing that comes close is G35 Coupe. I would choose the CL based on interior alone...IMHO, G35's just looks too cheap. Plus, I like the extra room in the cabin.
If i had it to do over, I would have picked up the 6spd rather than the slushbox (although mine is still good as new @ 12K miles).

does she only want a coupe? since the clk is out of her price range she could get a c300 sport brand new

2008 prices

Drivetrain Engine Trans* MSRP
2008 Mercedes-Benz C-Class Sedan
C300 Sport RWD 3.0L V6 Manual
Auto $31,600
C300 Luxury RWD 3.0L V6 Auto $33,300
C300 Sport 4MATIC AWD 3.0L V6 Auto $34,840
C300 Luxury 4MATIC AWD 3.0L V6 Auto $35,100
C350 Sport RWD 3.5L V6 Auto $36,900
C63 AMG RWD 6.2L V8 Auto $53,800
more info http://www.edmunds.com/mercedesbenz/cclass/2008/index.html

2009 prices

Drivetrain Engine Trans* MSRP
2009 Mercedes-Benz C-Class Sedan
C300 Sport RWD 3.0L V6 Manual
Auto $32,100
C300 Luxury RWD 3.0L V6 Auto $33,850
C300 Sport 4MATIC AWD 3.0L V6 Auto $35,400
C300 Luxury 4MATIC AWD 3.0L V6 Auto $35,650
C350 Sport RWD 3.5L V6 Auto $38,200
C63 AMG RWD 6.2L V8 Auto $55,100
more info http://www.edmunds.com/mercedesbenz/cclass/2009/index.html

I vote for the C70 - but buy it on the Volvo overseas delivery program. You get 8% off MSRP plus a free trip for two to Sweden/Europe. Make your car purchase a life experience. I did (for my DD which is an XC90), and will do it again in a year or so. Great experience!

A friend of mine has the first gen C70. He have had ABS replaced and the dashboard peeling off. 2nd gen 350Z seems to have radiator fan failure.

When we had our first baby i went out and bought a clean 850 Turbo Wagon. It ended up being the worst car purchase i had ever made. With under 60k miles on it the turbo was blown, the odometer was broken (don't hit trip reset while moving), the suspension and brakes both had given me major problems and needed replacing, the leather on the seats was worn very badly and that was after we had already done some minor repairs on the car. It was the biggest junk car i ever owned and i bought it because it was supposed to be safe and reliable.:rolleyes: I lost more money trading that car in than any other i have ever owned.

it sounds more like your 850 wagon was beat to hell and abused by the previous owner, i have had expierience with alot of volvos over the years, and just like every other car you have to maintain it, yes even the nsx needs a guardian angel or else it will be turned into aluminum pop cans

Back