• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Vote to keep or lose the User Reputation system

Should we continue using the User Reputation system?

• I like it - keep it running

Votes: 73 47.7%
  • I do not like it - turn it off

Votes: 80 52.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
We have now been running the User Reputation system for about 3 months.

As with any system, there have been a few people who used it incorrectly. I believe most of the serious abuses have been addressed, though some people who complained about negative reputation points that are still there who may disagree. My intention was not to remove ratings people disagreed with, it was to remove ratings I considered an obvious abuse of the system. The reason for this is because as with other admin functions I will deal with abuses but I am not going to play mediator for differences of opinion.

The User Reputation system is controversial on pretty much any site where it is introduced. I knew this going in. My hope was that the membership here was mature enough to handle it. I made a few adjustments during the test to try and fine tune the way it worked a little. I think those adjustments plus people getting used to the system (looking at the big picture and getting less worked up over an individual negative rating) has resulted it in running more smoothly this past month.

Overall it appears to me that the people who ended up with the highest reputation scores during this period are people who have made signifigant contributions that helped people. You can view reputation rankings by going to Members List on the vBulletin navigation bar and then clicking on "Reputation" to sort by reputation score. Even most of the folks who have been critical of the system due to specific incidents have ended up with overall positive scores.

I know that some people do not like the reputation system for various reasons. I personally think it has both pros and cons. But I do not intend to turn this into a debate. This is everyone's chance to say whether we should keep it or not. If you have an opinion, please vote!

I would like to vote 'yes', but with the anonymous mode turned off. This should prevent most future abuses of the system.

Can you make that an option? :)

While I have not always agreed with a few of the anonymous feedback comments I have received - particularly ones that had nothing to do with the post for which they were ostensibly awarded - I am in favor of keeping the system. Here's why.

It's very easy, with folks typing at a computer, for a discussion to get heated, with comments that escalate in intensity and even hostility. People will say things that they would never say to someone standing in front of them. Somehow, typing them into a computer seems to be less personal, and people are more apt to make comments that are hostile and hurtful, and sometimes even hateful. I know, because there have been times when I've been on the giving end as well as the receiving end. It's not something I'm proud of, but at the time, those posts seemed like they were justified.

With the reputation system in effect, I have thought twice about making such comments. I have kept them to myself and refrained from posting, or worded my replies in a way that will give the poster the benefit of the doubt and/or explain in a way less likely to be taken as a personal attack and more likely to be taken as a difference of opinion. I know that there have been posts that I have not made, that I would have made before it went into effect, just because the reputation system is there. It has also been my observation that most of the other NSXprime members who, in the past, had previously frequently made antagonistic posts containing personal attacks, have not done so since the reputation system went into effect. I don't think this is a coincidence; I think that others, like myself, have thought twice before posting, and they, too, have decided not to make such posts, just because the reputation system is in effect. They might or might not admit it, but I would place a wager ;) that this is what has happened.

Think about it - how many real mano-a-mano flame wars have broken out on NSXprime since the reputation system has gone in effect? I'm sure Lud can confirm whether or not the amount of editing/deleting of posts that he has needed to exercise for this reason has gone down (even though complaints about feedback comments received have undoubtedly added to his workload). Anyway, that's why I've voted in favor of keeping it.

As for the anonymous nature of it, I think that if you removed that, the effect of that would be that no one would ever give any negative feedback. While that might give everyone a positive score and make everyone feel good, I think that effect would also remove the reason I have stated for keeping it, namely, the incentive that it currently gives us to "play nice".

I think that the idea of people anonymously rating other people's comments, opinions, etc is ludicrous. I also believe that it inhibits discussion and lessens the enjoyment of the forums.
If you want to "rate" postive contributions to the community then allow non-anon positive points only and limit it to certain sections of the forums but I vote to eliminate it completely.

If the system stays in place, we should do away with the anonymous feature. It is far too easy for people to sling shots at others when they know they are hiding behind the safety of their computer screens and anonymity. I say be accountable for your actions....if you feel strongly enough to leave feedback about someone, you should feel strong enough in your conviction to support it by placing your name on it. If you do not support it this way, then your comment is most likely lacking the backbone and integrity that we deserve here on NSX Prime.

Keep the system - keep the anonimity.
Anonomity prevents "tit-for-tat" responses on both positive & negative feedback. I don't think it will work if the feedback is traceable to the originator.
I would hope the majority of applications are for positive contributions. I think nsxtasy made some very valid observations regarding effects it has on posting "habits". I would agree.

I probably have not earned the right to contribute here, as I am such a new member...

I like the system and I want it to stay!

With the system, I can see straight away if someone is worth listening to or if it is someone who may be antagonistic and best ignored.

However, I am totally appalled by the way someone can anonymously give you a negative reputation point without even giving a reason. This is cowardly!

I think users should stand by every reputation they give, and not hide behind the veil of anonymity. They MUST also give a reason for the feedback, be it positive or negative.

1. I would like accountability so remove the anonymous nature.
2. There must be a reason or description for EVERY reputation point issued.

Hope my criticisms are constructive...

I'm going to be the odd one here: I think the anomity is a good thing. If something is particularly spiteful or hateful, admin can still track it down. If i want the person to know, i just add my username at the end.

I think forcing a description is impossible (people will put garbage). Hopefully it will become part of everyone's "Net Etiquette" to give a reason. But I do like <B>AU_NSX</B>'s point on the username should be shown on negative points.

So far the poll is slip exactly 50/50. Will be interesting to see how it ends.

I voted to ditch it. If it was not annonymous, and if it required a comment, then I could be convinced of it's validity. As it is, if somebody doesn't like you, they can ding you every post you make for no reason, and you don't know who it is or why they are pissed at you.

On the other boards I'm on, a reputation is earned by knowing your shit, not by fishing for positive hits. The only positive I can see to having the reputation system is that it helps the newbie know who to listen to. I know I'm a newbie on this board, but I kinda think that your job as a newbie is to hang in the shadows for the most part until you become at least moderately competant, and by the time you're there, you've read enough threads to know who is good and who is full of it.

I voted for it. Basically, I think this forum is, on the whole, a collection of intelligent and responsible people, and the concerns of juvenile "dinging" of people's reputations aren't valid.

Yes, occasionally negative points will be given because someone doesn't agree with your point of view (happened to me), instead of being used correctly as a way to punish members that are abusive. It's a chicken-shit approach, but I think these people will eventually be weeded out anyway. But I believe that these concerns are outweighed by the generally friendly population of Prime.

If you feel really strongly against it, why not just ignore it? If you put no importance on reputation ratings, then why do you care if you have any? If someone who voted against it could elaborate on that, I would be grateful.

I'm with Dave Hardy. Having never recieved nor given negative feedback, I voted to dump it.

I don't see where the quality of Prime has improved because of it. This is a great forum, but it was equally so before the system. The members make it that way. I feel the rating system is merely an added distraction. A trader rating system has value in establishing the trustworthiness of a fellow member. What does this establish? IMO, the quality of posts and of the members is easily determined over time.

Last edited:
I've only used it for the novelty of using it. What does it really mean in the end? It's not like anyone here is running for political office. Most of us are aware of the who the troublemakers are anyway. I vote to get rid of it all together.

I would like to see the reputation system stay in place. I would also like to be able to read comments left on everyone's reputation. This way I am less likely to duplicate what someone else has already said.

It kind of reminds my of a old Steve Carlin routine about bad drivers.
The idea was that everyone should get one of those dart guns with the suction cup tips. You know, the ones some of us older guys had as kids only with a little flag on them that say "idiot".
When someone does a really stupid maneuver and annoys you, just shoot one of those suckers on the side of the offending party's car.
That way when a cop saw a car with a bunch of darts saying "idiot" all over, he would just pull them over and give them a ticket. :biggrin:
That's the way I see the system. It should be anonymous unless the posting party feels otherwise. It's not about being a coward it's about not wanting to be harassed by a keyboard jockey for shooting a dart that say's "idiot". :biggrin:
Get enough neg. points and the NSXPRIME police should give them the heave-ho. :wink:

pbassjo said:
It should be anonymous unless the posting party feels otherwise. It's not about being a coward it's about not wanting to be harassed by a keyboard jockey for shooting a dart that say's "idiot".

Good point and that concept works very well for those of us with some level of responsibility. However, 'keyboard jockeys' are usually the ones throwing the darts.... not defending against them. Anonymity is what enables them.

I say leave it as is.As a community we all should be ready willing and able to say thankyou as well as spankyou!

I don't agree that it enables them.
If you want to remove the anonymity of NSXPrime's members on that I may agree.
That's a different matter altogether but I don't think that is going to change anytime soon.

I don't believe the reputation system is very helpful or useful, and see it more as a solution to a non-existent problem. Posts on this forum speak for themselves, and as in any social milieu, a person will soon figure out who the forum's reputable members are, and who are the jokers.

I agree with Russ.....eventually, from a person's posts, their "reputation" will become apparent.

Along those lines I would vote that the reputation system be disbanded, and this is why.

As I have often opined that the "cowards" are the ones that award a red dot without a comment to a subscriber’s profile, there are also people that award red dots with a comment. However......and this is important.....if someone does leave a comment (for example, "I don't understand your sense of humor.") there is no way to private that person to explain where you are coming from.

Right now I'm looking at a red bar with 51 percent, and a blue bar with 48 percent. Reminds me of something else... Never mind.

Red-Blue

Good one Ken.....I just voted, and it is now 50-50.

Coincidentally, 2 & 1/2 months ago I chose to trust a fellow NSX Prime member with $2050 of my hard-earned money in exchange for items in his possession. 2 months & 1 week ago that fat check was cashed but I still await the contracted items. Meanwhile, his email address and phone contact number have become deactivated (though he does still retain his membership)...

If this proves to be a fraud then what tools do I have to protect myself and other members? Sensitive as I am to the danger of false accusation, I thus-far resist employing the User Reputation System but I will be deeply concerned if this system goes by the wayside simply because the majority of members have had happy experiences. In my (possible) case, it is the small minority of transactions of sad outcome that fully justify retaining the system.

I say The Administrator was wise in creating the User Reputation System but that putting it to a majority vote is not the best measure of its goodness and usefulness.

Sandy said:
Coincidentally, 2 & 1/2 months ago I chose to trust a fellow NSX Prime member with $2050 of my hard-earned money in exchange for items in his possession. 2 months & 1 week ago that fat check was cashed but I still await the contracted items. Meanwhile, his email address and phone contact number have become deactivated (though he does still retain his membership)...

If this proves to be a fraud then what tools do I have to protect myself and other members? Sensitive as I am to the danger of false accusation, I thus-far resist employing the User Reputation System but I will be deeply concerned if this system goes by the wayside simply because the majority of members have had happy experiences. In my (possible) case, it is the small minority of transactions of sad outcome that fully justify retaining the system.

That sucks. If the person who is stiffing you is in my area and I can help you in any way to recover funds or the items let me know.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back