• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Vredestein Wintrac Extreme

I've had these tires for a couple weeks now (about 1000 miles) and I am very happy with them. These tires are about as good in cold and wet conditions as my previous Yokohama S.Drives were in hot and dry conditions (both because the Vredesteins are that good and because the Yokohamas were that bad). The primary reason I chose this tire was because I wanted a winter tire that had the same fitment/sizes as my previous summer tires: 215/40-17 up front and 265/35-18 in the rear. The more common Blizzak options come close, as show on [MENTION=28830]jwmelvin[/MENTION] 's chart but once I learned there were winter tires in the [exact] size I already had, I went out to look for them.

As suggested elsewhere on the forum, the Vredesteins were available from Vulcan Tire (they are imported from the Netherlands so there can be some wait time for orders to come through). Vredestein advertises that their tires are excellent in wet conditions, even when cold, and that they are extremely stylish because they got input from Giugaro. I guess it is a cool-looking tread:

3QLVaW4.jpg

I can however vouch for how great these are in the increasingly crappy conditions in Washington DC. I've had these tires on two different sets of wheels now and on both sets they were smooth and quiet. As mentioned, they grip well in both rain and slush (still no snow collection to test it on) and they make me feel really confident even when I'm driving on wet roads at speeds I'd usually reserve for dry conditions. I'll update this post later in the season as I put more miles on them. In the meantime:

uwDFpbj.jpg

That's great. My own set is going on my car, which should be done with the engine rebuild about the same time our DC-area roads are true crap. I'm excited to try them out. And I'm guessing that they will be much better, in all conditions, than the very old Nitto 555 that I got the car with.

Vredestein make some killer winter tires or at least they used to. I had several sets on my Accord years ago. They were great in the snow, on wet roads, and were a great high speed dry road tire too. At that time they seemed to have a very easily damaged bead when mounting, as I had shops ruin more than one this way. Maybe their skills were less than ideal. Other than that I think you'll like them fine.

just make sure you don't exceed their grip with your joyful exuberence:eek:

Back