• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Want to check your VVIS?

With all the recent forum media about VVIS issues occurring, I have available to me a borescope with intigrated fiber optic light. I hope to try this thing out within the next few days at home. If it works well and theres enough intrest for me to drive 2 hours to Houston, then everyones welcome to scope your VVIS. We would need a place big enough for as many NSX's that show up. At that point everyone will remove their airbox lids and it's showtime. It's my understanding that it only takes a few moments for this job and I think it would benifit everyone for their own piece of mind. Who knows, we might even save someone an engine failure.:wink: I will post back in a few days and maybe we can setup a sunny Sat. or Sun. whichever is good for you guys.:smile:

Last edited:
i thought it was for only forced induction nsx, what year nsx does this affect btw or all?

thanks

I'm not sure if it's been determined what or if any specific year. Still, a 15 minute check will make me sleep better at night.:biggrin: If your forced induction and have since removed the VVIS then this is not for you.

i want to make it out it this. :smile:

Ok I plan on doing this friday or sunday. I will get back with you guys then. This thing even has a very small mirror that can be attached for hard to see places. We'll make this happen. I will let you guys figure out time/place since you all have schedules. All I need is a time/place to show up.:wink:If any of the Austin/Dallas guys want in, all are welcome.

This is great....where are you/we doing this? :biggrin:

I'll be doing this in my garage at home. Hopefully someone in Houston knows of a place everyone can gather. I'm in no hurry so this will give everyone time to schedule the day off.

I'll be doing this in my garage at home. Hopefully someone in Houston knows of a place everyone can gather. I'm in no hurry so this will give everyone time to schedule the day off.

I've got an idea...

Been off the forum for quite some time.. what is the possible problem that VVIS needs to be looked at?? (possible link to the topic?)

^^^^^^Link sent.

I seem to remember heaving read about similar problems on certain BMW engines having these same valves and them coming loose too :frown:

Ok so here you go! VVIS checked out fine on my end. Took me a tad longer than expected due to the tiny camera scraping against gunk going in and obstructing my view:rolleyes:, but I got it figured out now. I checked with VVIS both open and closed, {better results that way}. The only day I'm not avail is Feb 26. Otherwise you guys figure out who wants in/where and what day. I figure once airbox is off maybe 5 min per car. I encourage everyone to get in on this for future piece of mind. Ok Z, we are ready for your idea.

dang ill be in hong kong around that time

sighs:redface:

Sorry guys I have been on of r awhile now. Just been busy.

Explain to me why you need to check the VVIS? Send me link as well David.

It you need to check to see if it opens and closes then all you have to do it follow the vacum like to the side of the manifold that has a spring loaded diaphragm. When your car is on it created vacum and shuts the spring loaded valve (which you are able to see from the outside). If you pull off the vacum line going to this valve then the VVIS opens up and you will see the spring valve open and your idle will sound deeper.

In the image below you can see the Valve/diaphragm (#7)

13sl001_e03.png

Its a simple test why do you need a camera?
Is it to check if all the butterflies are intact and in location?

Hope this helps

Rahim

there have been cases where the screws holding the vvis plates come loose and fall into the intake manifold..sometimes into the combustion chambers damaging the motor. its just a way to check if the screws are still in or coming loose.

I see.
Well Honda puts some sort of seal on them during assembly because I have personally tried loosening the screws and its not easy. Unless someone has taken them apart and assembled it themselves you have nothing to worry about.

But if you are one that will keep wondering and worrying then go ahead and check it out cause its for your peace of mind.

I have completely omitted the VVIS when I ported the intake manifold.

Rahim

Count me in. Just let me know the final time and place

Back