• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Want to do something for USA WOII veteran.

Last week i was in Paris with some friends for some ....lets say....'parties', and we did meet a WOII veteran from the USA (NY) in a restaurant near our hotel who was in France to 'visit' his fallen friends.
This meet was very emotional for me and my friends, and we want to do something for this person (got his name and adress).

Maybe someone who has been in the army can give me some feedback to point us guys into the right direction, so we dont look stupid by sending off some wooden shoes ;)

Thankx,

Mich

Interesting. My grandpa is there right now visiting the area for the first time. He was there the day after the main Normandy invasion. Maybe you talked to him? He's from Colorado.

Nah, he was from New York 10058 if i remember correctly. Marines corps.
Might be some reunion going one???

W.G. Smith Ny NY 10058

Last edited:
A nice letter expressing your feelings should do nicely.

A nice letter expressing your feelings should do nicely.

I agree. You might also want to mention that many cities in the U.S. have a program to fly WWII vets to Washington, D.C. to visit the World War II veterans memorial. It's free for the vets. My father went on it with a group of other WWII vets in the area where he lives. Upon arrival they were met by a group of active military thanking them for their service along with Senator Bob Dole. They got a tour of the WWII Veterans memorial, lunch and a flight home. They all loved it. Great program.

I agree. You might also want to mention that many cities in the U.S. have a program to fly WWII vets to Washington, D.C. to visit the World War II veterans memorial. It's free for the vets. My father went on it with a group of other WWII vets in the area where he lives. Upon arrival they were met by a group of active military thanking them for their service along with Senator Bob Dole. They got a tour of the WWII Veterans memorial, lunch and a flight home. They all loved it. Great program.
This is called Honor Flight: http://www.honorflight.org/

I second the thank you letter.

I second (third) the letter. I've met a few and they tend to be very humble people. My grandpa was one and people would bring him gifts in his later years. He stopped refusing them at one point and just donated them to charity. It was easier and made him feel better.

I saw one getting out of his car at the grocery the other day and went up to shake his hand and say thanks. I swear I saw a tear in that old Marines eye, but I'm guessing he'd deny that.

Oke, thanks guys.

Sending a letter was something we where going to do anyway, but we wanted to add something to make it 'complete', and if possible before christmas.
Good point they probably get to much stuff anyway.

Back