• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Warranty Woes: Losing your warranty for tracking

This is a trend that is getting worse but the bottom line has always been the same. The dealers, techs, and regional reps have a lot of latitude to cover repairs outside of the normal warranty. If it is obvious that you are tracking your car all the time - all bets are off.

Why did some people get covered at Acura for the Snap Ring failure years out of warranty and some did not?

Relationships.

If you bought a car or two from a dealer, do your maintenance there, get to know the service people, and build relationships your probability of being covered goes WAY up.

If you never do business there, are abrupt, rude, demanding, and dogmatic - guess what? They are going to stiff you and you will be SOL.

Some of this is pervasive across other parts of the Mitsu line, not just the EVO. Mainly due to their (Mitsubishi's) continued financial difficulties. I've heard a lot of anecdotal evidence that supports them getting "tougher" with warranty claims, even for legitimate manufacturing defects.

Another factor to consider is a consequence of their target demographic -- the younger r_ce-rocket f-n-f set.

There are 2 things that bother me about this posture:

1. The web searching, GPS locating, computer data logging Big Brother-ish mentality. You are paying for them to monitor how YOU drive a car that YOU ostensibly own!

2. The idea that they can deny basically any warranty claim they want. It sounds like all auto manufacturers don't cover 'abusive' driving. The competition aspect of it doesn't bother me so much as the dealer logic that can be employed:
A. The cars we sell are reliable
B. Reliable means failures are not common
C. Uncommon failures have to be the result of the way the car was (ab)used.
D. If you have a good dealer relationship, you might get the warranty claim anyways.

I understand why the auto manufacturers take this position, but compare this to years ago. If the car failed not due to user stupidity (i.e 'you mean you have to change the oil EVERY 5,000 miles'?) then you were covered under warranty. Dealer relationships might even have gotten you a fix outside of warranty. Ihad an issue with my previous daily in about '98. It was a 93 model year car, with bumper to bumper ending in '96. The dealer said that 'the problem probably existed when your car was still under warranty, we'll fix it for you. Do you need a loaner.'

Ahh the good old days.

Back