• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Water/meth injection

Last edited:
I would give you input but I have only built my own in the past. When I have built my own I used parts from aquamist if that helps.

I have had friends have good sucess with FJO stuff, but I don't like to post unless I PERSONALLY have had experience with something as there is to much "hear-say" on the forums already so I chose not to reply.

Sorry you didn't get the responses you were looking for.

J. R.

I looked into this for my sti and actually ended up ordering the aquamist hfs-5 before I decided to sell the car. If I did meth injection the aquamist is the only one I would trust on my car. It is not cheap, but it has lots of failsafes, an included gauge, and is the only kit that is actually designed for meth and not just pieced together from parts like the other companies (snow performance, smc, alkycontrol etc.) I researched this alot and that is what I came up with. http://www.iaperformance.com/product_info.php?products_id=2451 that is the one I ordered. Also I dunno what engine management you are using but on some standalones you can actually have the meth injection as part of the map with this kit.

Also I dunno what engine management you are using but on some standalones you can actually have the meth injection as part of the map with this kit.

Excuse my ignorance, but if the injection system is not part of the "map" then you basically have a $600.00 plus reservoir.

Armando

Excuse my ignorance, but if the injection system is not part of the "map" then you basically have a $600.00 plus reservoir.

Armando

No what I mean is that most meth injection systems use boost to control how much meth is injected, and is completely separate from the ecu and fuel map. With the aquamist it can be controlled as if it is another fuel injector by the engine management system. Again I dont know if that is true with the aem or other standalones besides the hydra. Also The aquamist uses much more signals to decide how much meth to inject, even if it isnt part of the map.

No what I mean is that most meth injection systems use boost to control how much meth is injected, and is completely separate from the ecu and fuel map. With the aquamist it can be controlled as if it is another fuel injector by the engine management system. Again I dont know if that is true with the aem or other standalones besides the hydra. Also The aquamist uses much more signals to decide how much meth to inject, even if it isnt part of the map.[/QUOTE

Regardless of what controls the injection system if it is not part of the map (Tuning) then you will not get the full benefit of having said system.

Armando

Obviously the car needs to be tuned for the meth injection, but what I am saying is that on most systems the meth injection system does not communicate with the ecu. The map is tuned for the meth being injected, but does not recieve any signals from the meth injection itself. It just assumes that the meth is being injected properly. The other systems may have other failsafes that will let you know if the nozzle is clogged or if the meth is low, but it has no way to tell the ecu that there is a problem so you're still running all the boost and timing that you would be if it was working properly. With the aquamist the meth injection system and ecu actually communicate, and if the meth fails for any reason, the ecu can automatically switch to a less aggressive map and cut boost to prevent engine damage. Also the aquamist can actually use a separate nozzle for each cylinder to be even more accurate. Once again all my research was for my sti so I dont know if said systems work with the aem ems that people use with the nsx, but the aquamist system is better either way.

I have the FJO system and am very happy with it. My tuner setup the functions on the dyno in conjunction with the AEM. I start spraying at 2.5 lbs. at 20% duty cycle. The spray from the FJO nozzle is like cloud.

The fittings are all stainless steel. Not cheap but high quality. I think I paid about $1,000 for the components not counting the tank. I fabricated my own out of a stainless. I'd be happy to post photos of my installation if somenone can tell me how to post photos.

Obviously the car needs to be tuned for the meth injection, but what I am saying is that on most systems the meth injection system does not communicate with the ecu. The map is tuned for the meth being injected, but does not recieve any signals from the meth injection itself. It just assumes that the meth is being injected properly. The other systems may have other failsafes that will let you know if the nozzle is clogged or if the meth is low, but it has no way to tell the ecu that there is a problem so you're still running all the boost and timing that you would be if it was working properly. With the aquamist the meth injection system and ecu actually communicate, and if the meth fails for any reason, the ecu can automatically switch to a less aggressive map and cut boost to prevent engine damage. Also the aquamist can actually use a separate nozzle for each cylinder to be even more accurate. Once again all my research was for my sti so I dont know if said systems work with the aem ems that people use with the nsx, but the aquamist system is better either way.

I guess it all depends on how much you want to spend on your system. I used snow performance primarily for insurance to keep intake air temps down here in Florida. I have a fairly mild AEM tune and I'm very happy with everything. I'm set up to spray at 3,000 RPM up. There is a green LED indicater showing when the unit is spraying and a red one indicates when the reservoir is low on fluid. I have an AEM serial gauge that monitors IAT's as seen by the AEM - so I know if everything is working properly. I installed the whole system in about an hour at a cost of under $500. Of course I did have to spend some more time on the dyno to tune for it.
- My 2 cents.

I have to admit that a system for under $500 and a one hour to install is very attractive.
My FJO components cost around $1,000 and I must have spent over 40 hours to build and install the system...most of the time was spent designing and building the stainless steel tank where the air box was originally located. I wanted my installation to look as OEM as possible.
The FJO system has a pressure sensor after the pump and filter and immediately before the sprayer so that the system knows if there is pressure to the sprayer. I believe that this ties in with the ECU as a safety measure. It also has an electronic control box for the sprayer that ties in to the ECU.

Back