• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

We were burglarized! Pics & forensic analysis

Yup, burglarized overnight and both of us slept right through it! As I was cleaning up the damage this morning, I took some pictures and attempted to retrace the route of the thief (or thieves) and make my own analysis of the event. I don't expect to get a lot of help from the police because the loss was relatively small and it appears to have been a drug-related theft.

So here we go. It appears to me that the thief came over our 8' fence in the northwest corner of the back yard. I suppose it's a logical entry point, being somewhat sheltered from view from the house.
DSC_6024.jpg

On the deck at the base of the fence, I found my first clue. These fibers could point the way to the culprit!
DSC_6033.jpg

Anyway, from here I think the miscreant took a path similar to this, detouring around the pool while zeroing in his target.
DSC_6029.jpg

Approaching the lanai, I see the rubber spline that secures the screen has been pulled loose from the bottom all along one panel. Not a good sign!
DSC_6036.jpg

A close inspection of the screen reveals more clues. This definitely appears to be the ingress point for the burglar. Note the holes torn in the screen itself? It's almost like the perp had a clawed instrument to pull with. Also note more white fibers similar to what was found on the deck by the fence.
DSC_6042.jpg

On the ledge inside the screen, the devastation continues in the form of scratched up paint and wood. Clearly the work of a desperate creature.
DSC_6045.jpg

Dropping down to floor level, a sight so terrible that circles and arrows are completely unnecessary. The horror!
DSC_6053.jpg

Yes, it's the catnip plant, torn from its perch by a drug-crazed animal. Looking up, we witness the empty ledge where it proudly occupied the prized corner slot until last night.
DSC_6051.jpg

Straight down, the victim lies.
DSC_6050.jpg

Anyway, that's our tale of burglary and despair in the aftermath. I did my best to salvage the catnip and I think it'll survive. Half of it is gone, and I have until nightfall to find a way to keep what remains from the evil clutches of neighborhood hooligans. Wish me luck!
DSC_6055.jpg

ps, I've been on the lookout for the perps today. It's either a gray & white or a white w/tabby tail that roam the neighborhood. We recently started chasing them out of our yard (they are scaring the birds away) so this could have been a "revenge" crime as well. Pics if I can get them!

Last edited:
:biggrin: HAHA Very funny! Just be careful if they come back with friends!

It looks like the perps may have been drunk. Why would they leave so much evidence? Do we know where smoore was last night? :biggrin:

Even if you got a photo of the perp(s) it probably wouldn't help 'cause they were probably wearing masks.

Back