• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Weird Noise - now gone

Hi Guys,
I lasted posted under "Weird Noise" along with a couple of Youtube
clips an unusual pinging noise coming from the rear of my NSX.
I had already renewed the boots on the LH CV joints (one was split) and found the joint to be 100% OK.
Thinking it could have been a wheel bearing I ordered a new one and replaced the LH one however I found on removal the old one was still OK.
This noise occurred when the car was moved backwards and forwards slowly
in a straight line either under power, or in neutral being pushed, so I figured it couldn't be the diff as in a straight line it shouldn't be working.
I checked and greased all the ball joints - all 100%. Next I pulled the RH axle, checked the carrier bearing - OK and stripped the CV joints where I found the grease in the inboard one was very thin almost like thick oil. Replaced the grease and boots and re torqued all suspension bolts under load. Noise was still there but quite a bit more muffled which made me suspect it could be the diff plates that were binding and releasing and sending the sound thru the axles to appear to come from behind the knuckles but now the noise was being muffled a bit on the RH side by the new thicker CV joint grease.
I had filled the trans in the past with Honda MTF the only one avail here in New Zealand. I contacted Dali and replaced this MTF with white cap 3 - and the noise is now gone!
There is a lesson in this, obviously- despite what Honda said here all Honda MTF's are not suitable for an LSD and even rolling straight if your CV joints are really good and there is hardly any play in the drive and axles as in my car there must be enough difference in tire diameter (slightly more wear one side or slightly different tire pressure) to get enough wind up between the plates without the right MTF to send the release pinging sound right thru the axles to appear it is coming from near the knuckles on both sides.

Many thanks to all who helped me with this problem and gave me their suggestions particularly Brian.

You bet I did more than once!
Problem was the noise appeared to be coming from the back of the knuckles
and even holding a stethoscope to the diff housing didn't signal it was the diff.
And it happened when going straight that really put me off thinking the diff plates were the cause and as well there was MTF in the gearbox albeit as it
happens the wrong one. Thanks for your input I really thought your idea it could be the tie rod arm joints was going to be the solution.

Back